Author Topic: FFVIII Remastered  (Read 83146 times)

Terid__K

Re: FFVIII Remastered
« Reply #50 on: 2019-07-01 02:44:14 »
Voice acting? Now that does sound very interesting. Would make a new playthrough feel quite fresh.

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2019-07-01 07:18:33 »
This is very nice news; I think its awesome even if the voices end up being subpar. I would use them even if they were bad just because its an intertesting feature.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2019-07-01 08:39:03 »
I doubt the voice over thing is real, the website also says "With fully overhauled visuals", "with a complete visual refresh" but we've already seen that the battlegrounds are still the same.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2019-07-01 10:40:59 »
I doubt the voice over thing is real, the website also says "With fully overhauled visuals", "with a complete visual refresh" but we've already seen that the battlegrounds are still the same.

We have no info if the footage is final. Let's hope we can mod the game to what we like much easier.

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2019-07-01 12:10:25 »
I can 100% agree that there is a 0 percent chance that they will redo the backgrounds other than a bicubic filter or something similar like we have already seen in the preview shot with squall and quistis in the garden hallway.
Redrawing them completely would actually cost a very significant amount of money and require massive amount of work, and the chances of a company using AI tools like ESRGAN to upscale are also 0 for various reasons (especially in a commercially released product), massive inconsistency among others. This only leaves filters slapped over the existing ones.

Its a real shame but I would almost say understandable / no surprise.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2019-07-01 13:13:28 »
I can 100% agree that there is a 0 percent chance that they will redo the backgrounds other than a bicubic filter or something similar like we have already seen in the preview shot with squall and quistis in the garden hallway.
Redrawing them completely would actually cost a very significant amount of money and require massive amount of work, and the chances of a company using AI tools like ESRGAN to upscale are also 0 for various reasons (especially in a commercially released product), massive inconsistency among others. This only leaves filters slapped over the existing ones.

Its a real shame but I would almost say understandable / no surprise.

We talked about the battle backgrounds. And regarding AI upscales: https://techgage.com/news/deep-learning-used-to-enhance-zelda-twilight-princess-for-nvidia-shield-in-china/

Manakaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2019-07-01 14:05:42 »
Oh ok I misread when glancing over, I read "backgrounds" not "battlegrounds"; As for that ai upscale; Thats very interesting would not have expected that being used even for 3d asset textures in the gurrent gen of ai scaling in any commecrcial release, although the case is very specific and fringe in terms of application (china only shield only). But Sadly it has to be said though that upgrading 3d textures with Ai cant even remotely be compared to prerendered backgrounds/multi asset encompassing 2d textures sot its a while out until those will be done reliably and therefore in a commercially viable manner; didnt really think too broadly in terms of usage possibilities.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-01 14:29:27 by Manakaiser »

Goth

« Reply #57 on: 2019-07-04 21:09:34 »
I don't really know what to think.

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2019-07-05 13:40:51 »
I don't really know what to think.
Then don't, it's too much hard work anyways  8-)

Wiseman

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2019-07-24 20:55:48 »
Gotta say the chances of this having proper analogue support and that new font are the biggest reasons I might buy this remaster. The reason I definitely won't buy it is because Squenix puts Denuvo on everything they touch now. Maybe if I get a console soon.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2019-08-13 16:07:50 »
Latest tweet on FFVIII Remastered:

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1161261369456517122/video/1

And yeah, th background field is extremely blurry as expected, characters models are popping out so much.

Wiseman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2019-08-13 16:48:23 »
Why don't you try telling them they can upscale those now?

gunner_1207

• If your upright an above ground,its a gd day
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 2019-08-18 21:19:08 »
this remaster is honestly gonna be a disappointment going by what we have already seen,if they cant be bothered to better the magnificent work done by the modders. then just don't bother.mot interested in something inferior   

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 2019-08-20 01:27:05 »
It is now official and right around the corner: September 3, 2019. :-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VovHI0JKxlg

Edit: A few screenshots here.

Apparently, the Triple Triad background was too much work. ::) Cards also reminds me of Mcindus' Tripod textures, why am I not surprised?
« Last Edit: 2019-08-20 03:13:37 by Aavock »

greator

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 2019-08-20 06:04:40 »
A new trailer just drop in

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1163601790744453121?s=19

Yeah, looks like they upgraded the FMV, but didn't bother with the pre-rendered backgrounds.
I hope the full voice acting rumor is true.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: 2019-08-20 06:54:06 »
Preorder a digital version of a 90's remaster? Yeah, no. I'll wait until after the release.

TheSquallRock

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 2019-08-20 08:17:48 »
All they did is just replacing character models, right?
And they call it "remastered"? So sad. After all these years FFVIII deserved more. The potential of this game is infinite if properly remastered.  :-\

Kuraudo.

• SOLDIER
  • Maktub
    • View Profile
    • Behemoth Productions
« Reply #67 on: 2019-08-20 09:00:41 »
Backgrounds untouched, mh. Interesting.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 2019-08-20 10:42:31 »
So many whiners, they have replaced all of the important characters, weapons, GF's, vehicles with new models and textures, even minor characters such as the waitress in Lagunas dream got a new model and texture, yes its a shame battlegrounds or pre-rendered backgrounds didn't get updated but that would have pushed costs and the price up to a brand new fully priced game release which few people would be willing to pay to begin with. They also fixed the text scaling so it actually looks presentable now. It's a fair price for how much they did.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 2019-08-20 13:18:11 »
So many whiners, they have replaced all of the important characters, weapons, GF's, vehicles with new models and textures, even minor characters such as the waitress in Lagunas dream got a new model and texture, yes its a shame battlegrounds or pre-rendered backgrounds didn't get updated but that would have pushed costs and the price up to a brand new fully priced game release which few people would be willing to pay to begin with. They also fixed the text scaling so it actually looks presentable now. It's a fair price for how much they did.

They've also made it available on all gaming platforms so everyone gets a chance to play it. But yeah, there will always be crybabies wanting more, for less. Can't be helped.

TheSquallRock

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 2019-08-20 15:26:00 »
Nah. Nobody complained about the price. No one said it's too expensive. I think everyone just expected more from a remastered, considering how much time passed. After all it's not that different from modded version we already have thanks to modders... right? This looks more like a port. It's fine. Will play it but we just expected more and would have waited and paid more for a better product, for sure. Good thing is maybe this will be modded again and we will have a real good remaster then? :D

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 2019-08-20 16:39:50 »
After all it's not that different from modded version we already have thanks to modders... right?

Depends. Can you play "modded" versions on Xbox, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch? Can you hit the game icon and start playing without research, downloading installers and troubleshooting?

They never promised or claimed it would be a remaster built from the ground up. Of course it's a port with some new models and hopefully fixed music. That's also why is only costs 19.99$ which is an amazing price and falls right in line with the ff7 and ff9 ports.

Arthandas

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 2019-08-20 17:08:58 »
That's also why is only costs 19.99$ which is an amazing price
Wow, 20 bucks for a THIRD release of the same game except now it has 10 updated models, retextured summons/bosses and backgrounds smeared in vaseline yet some fanboys STILL think they're paying an amazing price.
« Last Edit: 2019-08-20 17:11:47 by Arthandas »

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 2019-08-20 17:20:07 »
I'm not even a fan of FFVIII and this remaster is upsetting to me. I also think the new models are terrible. Especially compared to what modders have done. And why not upscale the backgrounds? AI upscaling gained a ton of traction with VII and IX before this remaster was even announced. Surely they were aware of this and are either lazy or don't give a crap. Most likely both. It's an older game that a TON of people love. If the tools are there to give the best possible 'port' why not do it? Because they know people will buy mediocrity.

Brings me back to IX's port of the android version that kept those terrible touch screen menus. Lazy.

-Ric-

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 2019-08-20 17:22:29 »
19.99 for a 1998-9 game that's now got poor models. A game we've seen re-released already and some of us have owned multiple times.  I've got a few adjectives lined up, but "amazing" is definitely not among them.

Yes, they should make it 5$. Right? lmao.
19.99$ is very cheap and affordable. it's basically one cheap lunch. I'd fully agree with you if it costed 39.99, maybe even 29.99. but 20 dollars? Seriously?