Author Topic: How to Edit FInal Fantasy VII PS1 files  (Read 17099 times)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: How to Edit FInal Fantasy VII PS1 files
« Reply #25 on: 2010-05-11 09:32:32 »
I don't really follow the modelling scene much, so I'm not sure what you'd specifically have to do, but the impression I get is that you would have to radically alter the executable to get these models working. That's a mammoth task, especially for someone who - no offense - has only ever put little-endian integers into a cheat engine and hopes he'll find them in RAM. Assembler is not simple, or easy to pick up. FF7's AI code is a sort of simplified assembler, so practicing that with a bit of, say, C might offer you the first steps you need to take.

But even then, it would be a tremendous task to alter the engine to accept even marginally different sorts of models. Frankly, I wouldn't bother.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-11 09:39:14 by Bosola »

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #26 on: 2010-05-11 12:22:06 »
If you even manage to convert the models to the correct format, you'll have to make sure they are the exactly the same size or smaller than the original model files that you are replacing. That's what sucks most about modding the PSX version, you can't inflate any files.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #27 on: 2010-05-11 16:42:37 »
If you even manage to convert the models to the correct format, you'll have to make sure they are the exactly the same size or smaller than the original model files that you are replacing. That's what sucks most about modding the PSX version, you can't inflate any files.
Wrooooong in so many ways. But in any case, file size is really the last of his problems.

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #28 on: 2010-05-12 12:55:20 »
Wrooooong in so many ways. But in any case, file size is really the last of his problems.
OK, but it is true that you cannot replace a file with a larger version in CDMage without fucking everything up.
If you know of a way of increasing sizes of files in the image, please let me know, that's what was holding back my PSX modding most.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #29 on: 2010-05-12 13:09:51 »
OK, but it is true that you cannot replace a file with a larger version in CDMage without f***ing everything up.
Actually you can do that, and it's pretty easy too. Just do not rely on CDMage for file replacement and use an alternative tool, like CDTool or mine. Find a nice spot in the ISO where you can throw the expanded file, set the insertion parameters, update the allocation table to read the new location for the specified file, and reinsert. With this trick I've already relocated several files, including the whole FIELD directory.