Author Topic: FF VIII Archive Commander error and Garden error  (Read 2856 times)

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
FF VIII Archive Commander error and Garden error
« on: 2009-05-29 10:20:40 »
Alright i got a couple of problems I'd like to discuss with you guys. First: Recently I learned how to improve the stats of enemies in FF8. Though its easy once you get used to it, I decided to boost only the bosses because I don't have too much time, maybe Ill do the enemies someday as well. However I now edited every boss up to the Lunatic Pandora and everything worked well. The only ones left on CD3 are Fu-Jin, Rai-Jin and Cifer(Mobile type 8 and Adell are finished already). As you can see from my list theyre on c0m128.dat(Cifer), c0m136.dat and c0m137.dat. When I tried to replace c0m128.dat I accidently wrote to search for c0m128dat to replace instead of c0m128.dat(the dot was missing) and Archive Commander told me it can't find the file. I realized the dot was missing and tried it again and it said:"Cannot open file because it's used by another process". Although I know there was no process which used the data I thought just turn off FF8 AC and try it again. Same thing. I saw nothing else but to reboot PC. When I tried to replace the c0m128.dat again it said:"Stream Read Error". After trying it again I got the same thing as earlier, with the other process using this file.

So I thought I just use Garden to extract my backed up battle.fs into another folder and replace the files with the originals. Well Garden says:"Positioning Error on an unknown file" which ends up in all files having no content lol(They are still there though, all empty). I have no Idea what Garden could mean by that lol. However if someone tells me how to repair FF8 AC it won't be a problem since then I do not actually need Garden.

Somebody a tip?

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
Re: FF VIII Archive Commander error and Garden error
« Reply #1 on: 2009-05-29 10:45:46 »
Probably FF8AC corrupt you battle.fs archive. :P If you have a backup, overwrite corrupted battle.fs and try again. If you don't have a backup, reinstall the game. ;) I used this program very often and I doesn't have errors like this.

I accidently wrote to search for c0m128dat to replace instead of c0m128.dat

Search? O_o

The Black-caped Man

• The time........has come........!
    • View Profile
Re: FF VIII Archive Commander error and Garden error
« Reply #2 on: 2009-05-29 17:57:05 »
Search? O_o

I meant when you click on "replace file" then a window pops up where you choose with which file you want to replace the selected one. And there I accidentally wrote c0m128dat instead of *.dat.

EDIT: Ok it gets weirder and weirder: I noticed my battle.fs suddenly having 0Kb so I replaced it with a backup and tried to replace the files again. It now progresses further than before with the replacement(before it immediately said: Stream read Error when I clicked on replace file, creating a battle.fs with 0kb), it creates a battle.fs with now around 39kb and then says: Stream read error(usually battle.fs has 54kb)
I dont get whats wrong and I really dont wanna re-install cause all the work would have been for the ass and I would have to replace all the boss files again......Ill do this when anything else won't work
RE-EDIT: Alright the problem has to be my c0mXXX.dat files: I just tried to replace other files(I chose c0m096.dat) and it worked! So I must have f***ed up the c0m128.dat, c0m136.dat and c0m137.dat......
RE-RE-EDIT:........For some reason, only the files c0m015.dat, c0m051.dat, c0m096.dat and c0m097.dat can be replaced.....at any other file I get stream-read error.....also Garden can't decompile my backed-up battle.fs archive properly....I dont get an error now though, Garden only extracts the c0mXXX.dat files I just mentioned.....my god
RE-RE-RE-EDIT(omg im getting dizzy of this^^): repaired. finally it worked to replace the files with the backed up ones and to replace everything again. dunno why it didnt work before, dont ask me :|
« Last Edit: 2009-05-31 12:49:42 by The Black-caped Man »