Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4836588 times)

Loseless

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.1)
« Reply #300 on: 2014-07-31 15:25:13 »
Well, as for Corel, I do believe that the train was only meant to crash into the village because we kind of killed the driver and the whole crew in the process... And don't forget that it was because of Cloud that the weapons were set loose and killed a few dozens of thousands of people...

The only party member that accomplishes something in all this is the dead one. So the moral of the story is: the people who f*uck up live and the poor flower girl who saved us all got killed.

Jesus christ, this game is even more depressing than what I remember...

Btw, jesus christ, Big Gay Al, cross dressing, Drag, Buffalo Bill (I'm so sad that nobody got this joke)... There seems to be a lot of flower themes coming up lately...

But in all seriousness, I wish we could skip the whole dressing scene. Its the most embarrassing thing I ever did in a video game... Imagine me having to explain this to my friends who were into football games and fighters back then... No wonder the bullies didn't even tried to beat me.

"Mistakes were made, but it all worked out in the end." - Thats what Bill Clinton said [Insert scene showing Horatio Caine putting on his glasses and Won't Get Fooled Again playing loudly with Roger Daltrey saying YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!]

paralleluniverse

• <3 Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: 2014-07-31 23:27:24 »
When I level up I noticed a couple things.

Spells like fire, ice, or lightning jump from level 2 to being mastered, was that intentional?
I think it was exit materia, it didn't require the full 100,000 AP to level

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: 2014-08-01 00:38:13 »
Probably not, that generally happens when the AP requirement for a Materia level is set lower than what it currently is in a save file (so it jumps to the 'correct' level). However, the NT update didn't lower AP requirements so this is a bit worrying. I'll check things on my end and see what's happening.

paralleluniverse

• <3 Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: 2014-08-01 02:08:03 »
Probably not, that generally happens when the AP requirement for a Materia level is set lower than what it currently is in a save file (so it jumps to the 'correct' level). However, the NT update didn't lower AP requirements so this is a bit worrying. I'll check things on my end and see what's happening.

I did use the Chocobo Save editor to get tifa out of north crater, if that may have affected it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: 2014-08-01 02:32:08 »
I'm not sure. Save editors tend to be an unknown quantity because they have the game's default stats set to things like Materia. Did the flevel patch not let Tifa leave the crater without soft-locking or was this done before the patch?

paralleluniverse

• <3 Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: 2014-08-01 02:41:36 »
I'm not sure. Save editors tend to be an unknown quantity because they have the game's default stats set to things like Materia. Did the flevel patch not let Tifa leave the crater without soft-locking or was this done before the patch?

Yeah I used then editor immediately after I found the glitch

lappers84

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: 2014-08-02 10:46:42 »
Going after every ones final weapons - but can't trigger Barrett sidequest, do I need certain pre requites?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: 2014-08-02 13:12:55 »
The only requirements should be that Barret is in the party and the game moment is at 1998. You're looking for a treasure chest on the same field screen as the Reactor (should be on a small plateau to the right, accessed by using the other stairs on the previous field screen where Barret dropped Dyne in the flashback).

If it's still not there, and you were using the regular music flevel before, then it means you might need to use a special NPC on the Highwind to fix it. I placed him on the deck where the team parachutes off from; he'll reset all the sidequest variables and make them available again. Let me know if it still doesn't work, or if other sidequests haven't been triggering.

lappers84

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: 2014-08-02 14:37:23 »
hmm, I can't find anybody on the deck of the highwind

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: 2014-08-02 14:59:53 »
Did you update the flevel with the latest patch? He was only added for the last version. I'll double check just to make sure he's there.

Edit: Hold off downloading that patch; the NPC is completely busted. Gonna fix him.

Edit 2: Should've mentioned, patches updated.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-04 13:20:52 by Sega Chief »

Magish

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: 2014-08-06 02:56:51 »
I have to say, I'm really enjoying the mod. Just got to Icicle, figured I'd share my comments/thoughts.

- The boss battles are juuust the right difficulty, plus all the differences help to make it interesting. Really liked the Gi Nattack, for example, but his tendency to drain and heal nearly as much as I could damage him made the battle take so long :)
- I agree with others that it seems too easy to accidentally over-level. I've only been killing a few groups of enemies per area (mostly to see if I can steal anything good), and I'm afraid to kill much more in case I grind too much and make the rest of the game too easy.
- The Midgar Zolom causes the game to lock up if you're low level. Based on other comments, I think it's trying to use an invalid attack or something.
- The dragon boss in the Temple of the Ancients is weak to lev4 suicide. 2 casts + an attack and he died. Not sure if that's intentional. :p
- The "fall from the clock" pincer attack battle was BRUTAL. Seriously, I died like 4 times to them before I could get enough defenses to survive + fight back. It killed me more than most bosses. :p
- The Demon Wall was pretty tough as well - had to use sadness to survive, then luckily Barret's Added Effect: Shiva slowed one for me. :)
- I managed to get Beta in the Temple of the Ancients - one of the battles for a chest around the clock is against what I think is a pollensalta (sp?) and three frogs, and the girl uses Beta. Not sure if you missed that.
- The second Jenova was cool as well - I liked the gimmick, and used Cloud with the force stealer to wail on her while healing himself, while I gave Cid/Barret absorb accessories and had them mostly heal themselves with elemental spells to distract Jenova. I tried switching one of them for Red XIII so I had 2 people with life-steal at the save point nearby, but the PHS was unavailable at that point.
- I got all the "kills = power" weapons except the ones for Aeris and Red XIII. I tried doing the Speed Square earlier but I got a Wall Ring instead of the umbrella. Not sure if I missed them or not, but I haven't done the Wutai section yet so I'm hoping they're there (or maybe further into the Glacier etc.)
- Once I got enough Edincoats / Wizard Bangles for my party, I haven't switched them out. I think the problem is that the added flexibility/options that all those slots give seems way more useful than a bit more defense or stats or specific resistances. Maybe it'd be different if I knew in advance what each boss did, but atm I'm loathe to use something that halves lightning or absorbs cold instead, when the next 4 bosses might not even use those damage types. Plus, sometimes it's hard figuring out what damtype the attack are - if I didn't read a comment on someone's LP of this, I'd have never guessed that the dragon in the Temple of the Ancients used shout type attacks. (speaking of, would Element + Bahamut give shout type attack/resist?)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: 2014-08-06 03:16:00 »
I have to say, I'm really enjoying the mod. Just got to Icicle, figured I'd share my comments/thoughts.

- The boss battles are juuust the right difficulty, plus all the differences help to make it interesting. Really liked the Gi Nattack, for example, but his tendency to drain and heal nearly as much as I could damage him made the battle take so long :)
- I agree with others that it seems too easy to accidentally over-level. I've only been killing a few groups of enemies per area (mostly to see if I can steal anything good), and I'm afraid to kill much more in case I grind too much and make the rest of the game too easy.
- The Midgar Zolom causes the game to lock up if you're low level. Based on other comments, I think it's trying to use an invalid attack or something.
- The dragon boss in the Temple of the Ancients is weak to lev4 suicide. 2 casts + an attack and he died. Not sure if that's intentional. :p
- The "fall from the clock" pincer attack battle was BRUTAL. Seriously, I died like 4 times to them before I could get enough defenses to survive + fight back. It killed me more than most bosses. :p
- The Demon Wall was pretty tough as well - had to use sadness to survive, then luckily Barret's Added Effect: Shiva slowed one for me. :)
- I managed to get Beta in the Temple of the Ancients - one of the battles for a chest around the clock is against what I think is a pollensalta (sp?) and three frogs, and the girl uses Beta. Not sure if you missed that.
- The second Jenova was cool as well - I liked the gimmick, and used Cloud with the force stealer to wail on her while healing himself, while I gave Cid/Barret absorb accessories and had them mostly heal themselves with elemental spells to distract Jenova. I tried switching one of them for Red XIII so I had 2 people with life-steal at the save point nearby, but the PHS was unavailable at that point.
- I got all the "kills = power" weapons except the ones for Aeris and Red XIII. I tried doing the Speed Square earlier but I got a Wall Ring instead of the umbrella. Not sure if I missed them or not, but I haven't done the Wutai section yet so I'm hoping they're there (or maybe further into the Glacier etc.)
- Once I got enough Edincoats / Wizard Bangles for my party, I haven't switched them out. I think the problem is that the added flexibility/options that all those slots give seems way more useful than a bit more defense or stats or specific resistances. Maybe it'd be different if I knew in advance what each boss did, but atm I'm loathe to use something that halves lightning or absorbs cold instead, when the next 4 bosses might not even use those damage types. Plus, sometimes it's hard figuring out what damtype the attack are - if I didn't read a comment on someone's LP of this, I'd have never guessed that the dragon in the Temple of the Ancients used shout type attacks. (speaking of, would Element + Bahamut give shout type attack/resist?)

Thanks for the feedback and notes there. About the leveling problem, me and Loseless are working through the game's EXP curve at the moment looking to find a better balance for the v1.2 expansion (that'll have a NG+ attached to it and I wanted there to be some room for further progression past the first playthrough; the second playthrough is planned to be a more compact campaign, not a repeat of the story).

I'd better get that Zolom fixed pronto. Should be easy to repair, though.

I didn't really consider Lv4 Suicide much when going through all the different bosses. I should probably be a bit more strict with it.

Looks like history repeats itself with that battle; the Hardcore mod's version of it is a nightmare too. I'll likely change it so it isn't a pincer anymore, maybe make it against 3x enemies. I think the power of those guys crept up as time went on.

Beta was supposed to be there, yeah. Jemnezmy has it, and Stilva has it as well later.

Glad someone used elemental damage to heal themselves; I think you might be the first to try that.

The Umbrella might be missing from the game; it'll be reinstated for the next update. As for the Hairpin, that should be in Wutai inside one of the secret treasure rooms of Godo's house. There's one next to the beds, and another in the room next to his.

Loseless was saying to me as well that Edincoats + Wizard Bracelets trumped everything else for versatility. There's an equipment re-spec planned for the 1.2 update that should hopefully address the problem without making these armors useless. I'm shifting certain things back to being a little closer to the original game's equipment; the changes got a bit out of hand.

And yeah, Elemental + Bahamut should hopefully give protection (or add to attacks) the Shout Element. Might be a bit broken actually if a lot of high-end attacks use it, I'd better bear that in mind in future.

AkiraBalance

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: 2014-08-14 03:14:09 »
The mod's pretty good so far, but there seems to be a problem with the last battle of the train for the huge materia. For the conductor battle. Something seems to continually cause it to freeze.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: 2014-08-14 13:06:53 »
I'll check him out and get it fixed; the hot-patch will be up in an hour or so.

Edit: I think I found the problem; Chain Gun had FFFF set for a value. I also fixed up a soft-lock with the Zolom when fighting him with parties below Lv.70. The hotfix patch has been updated, it's applied like the main installer.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-14 13:25:05 by Sega Chief »

AkiraBalance

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: 2014-08-14 16:43:19 »
Works perfectly, thank you!

I think the Fort Condor boss could use a bit of an upgrade though.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: 2014-08-14 19:23:07 »
The ground will quake at their approach once I'm done with them.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #316 on: 2014-08-15 01:33:27 »
Just a heads up, I added the August updates to the catalog. They aren't in the current version I sent you for testing, so you'll witness the bugs above with your 7H copy. I'm wondering if I should wait until everyone completes their run through and you smash the bugs before I release it with 7H. Your choise, what do you want to do?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 2014-08-15 02:40:42 »
I'm doing a run-through just now to get the mod re-specced for 1.2 and the new Exp curve that's going to be used to support a NG+ that'll be rolled out a few months later. Might be best to wait; beside whatever bugs remain, the difficulty curve right now is running on quick revisions to try and stave off the player's rapid leveling. Loseless is helping me out with that.

Magish

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 2014-08-15 16:26:43 »
Some more enemies that have issues:
- One of the enemies in Junon for the reactor mission - think it was Soldier 2nd or M-class (lost my notes): lock-up during battle
- Manhole (Midgar raid): another lock-up during battle
- Once when I killed both of Hojo 2's arms, he remained immune to damage. Killed the weaker arm (I think it was left?) first, then the other arm, and he kept on taking 0 damage even after a couple of turns. Had to reload, killed the other arm first, and that time it worked.
- Calamity (Hojo 3): lock up during battle
- Boss for Cid's sidequest: when battle starts. it doesn't appear and game just sits there
- Abyss: less of a crash-type issue, more of an abuse possibility: equip everyone with 3-star elemental: bahamut on armor and let the game sit for an hour. He'll do nothing but heal your party, give them peerless and wall, and damage himself. You don't even have to do anything to win (though admittedly it'll take a while) :p

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #319 on: 2014-08-15 20:18:37 »
Will 1.2 be a good version to release, or shall I wait the months later for the NG+ feature? If 1.2 is a stable first playthrough, I can always add the later features as an update patch that 7H will download and install automatically.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 2014-08-16 00:41:43 »
Some more enemies that have issues:
- One of the enemies in Junon for the reactor mission - think it was Soldier 2nd or M-class (lost my notes): lock-up during battle
- Manhole (Midgar raid): another lock-up during battle
- Once when I killed both of Hojo 2's arms, he remained immune to damage. Killed the weaker arm (I think it was left?) first, then the other arm, and he kept on taking 0 damage even after a couple of turns. Had to reload, killed the other arm first, and that time it worked.
- Calamity (Hojo 3): lock up during battle
- Boss for Cid's sidequest: when battle starts. it doesn't appear and game just sits there
- Abyss: less of a crash-type issue, more of an abuse possibility: equip everyone with 3-star elemental: bahamut on armor and let the game sit for an hour. He'll do nothing but heal your party, give them peerless and wall, and damage himself. You don't even have to do anything to win (though admittedly it'll take a while) :p

Bit strange, I tested these fights when I updated them. I'll get them all fixed though.

Will 1.2 be a good version to release, or shall I wait the months later for the NG+ feature? If 1.2 is a stable first playthrough, I can always add the later features as an update patch that 7H will download and install automatically.

Judging from that error report above, it looks like it'd definitely be best to wait for 1.2 or even the 1.3 (or whatever it'll be called). I'll get this mod to behave itself one day even if it kills me.

Edit: That's the issues mentioned above (hopefully) repaired. It was mostly just small things like AI not updated with different attack IDs or clashing Attack IDs. For Helletic Hojo, I think I saw the cause of the problem but to play it safe I removed the phys/mag immune flags; those'll be coming back (or something different if I have an idea) for 1.2.

As for Abyss, that's a balance problem caused by most elements being attached to a Materia (like Shout) and most enemy attacks carrying an element because I didn't keep that in mind when speccing those attacks. I'll be keeping it in mind in future, though.
« Last Edit: 2014-08-16 01:22:41 by Sega Chief »

Iceboundphoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 2014-08-17 12:48:57 »
Do you have an eta on when 1.2 will be out looking forward to hacking at it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: 2014-08-17 23:28:46 »
It'll be a month or maybe 6 weeks, I'm afraid. There's a lot of work still to be done.

PotatoHandle

• Does things quickly, no matter how long it takes.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #323 on: 2014-08-31 23:48:07 »
Sorry to parrot basically the exact same question, but I'm just hoping for some info on v1.2 as well. Looking to start streaming my playthrough in the near future, but the NG+ option sounds really cool, so I'm deciding if I should wait or not. Will v1.1 saves work on v1.2 if I was to start early? If not, any news on the patch's progress, for better or worse, would be appreciated.

Really looking forward to trying this mod out and sharing it with the internet at large, thanks for all the effort you've put into it, and thanks for any info. \o/
« Last Edit: 2014-08-31 23:49:53 by PotatoHandle »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 2014-09-01 01:14:05 »
Here's what's planned for v1.2:

-) New EXP arc (to give me some breathing space for progression into NG+)
-) Respec of enemies + small AI tweaks to bosses
-) Respec of Items/Weapons/Armor (some have been gated off for the NG+)
-) Groundwork laid for NG+ (v1.3)
-) New set of 9 sidequests (for obtaining stronger weapons)
-) Save Nexus implemented (dispenses Sources)

The idea is to repair the balance problem leaving Disc 1 that most players reported and to set things up for a NG+ campaign. The NG+ itself won't be done for a lot longer; it's an overhaul of the game's scenes to make something that's new and not very story-driven.

Save files will load from 1.1 to 1.2, but there might be a visual glitch with the EXP bar due to the new arc (this should correct upon leveling up). Materia might also level/master if the AP requirements have been changed from version to version. v1.2 will be complete in 2 weeks or so; I reckon it'd be good idea to wait but it's up to you.