Author Topic: Switching character models  (Read 4641 times)

Zionhyome

• View Profile
Switching character models
« on: 2016-11-09 22:49:45 »
To start, I wanna thank anyone who reads this for their time, and anyone who tries to help, regardless of whether or not it actually solves my problem.

I've been trying to do a simple mod wherein I switch Aerith and Tifa. So far, I've succeeded in switching their battle models, but their field models are proving difficult. I'm sure I could do it if I could find a list of which of the unpacked lgp files correspond to which character, but I'm having a hard time figuring that out. Now, I did find a list that I tried to use, but I'm having some problems using it. The main problem is that it isn't complete. It has every file listed, it just doesn't say what all of them are, so Idk if I'm skipping files that I need because they aren't listed as such.

Another, slightly smaller, problem is that they are listed in alphabetical order, and not by character. The reason this is a problem, for me, is that I'm having a hard time keeping track of where I am.

So, with that in mind, does anyone have a list of which of the unpacked char.lgp files go with which character, and listed in order of which character they correspond to? Also, as this is the first time I've tried anything like this, I'm unsure of all the specifics. Are the field models what are used during scenes where characters react with NPCs and each other? What about the models on the world map? If not, is there any way to change those? In that scenario, how would one go about switching Tifa's world map model to Aerith?

One other option I may consider is, instead of switching Aerith with Tifa, I could instead switch her with Yuffie, though I'm loathe to do so, as she is my third favorite character; behind Aerith (number 2), and Red XIII (number 1). This would solve the world map problem, as I don't think Yuffie is ever on the world map, but I think it would be a bit outputting to have her speaking Yuffie's lines. With Tifa, that problem isn't so bad, because she and Aerith are fairly similar in personality. To be honest, I'd rather switch her with Vincent, because Aerith with a gun just sounds like all kinds of fun, but I have no idea how to change pronouns.

Again, I know this is asking a lot, so if it's too much, I understand. I just thought it would be better to ask and have nobody that can help, than to not ask when the possibility exists. Thanks again, for your time.
« Last Edit: 2016-11-10 01:10:26 by Zionhyome »

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
Re: Switching character models
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-10 14:33:53 »
I recommend using Makuo Reactor since it does all the flevel editing which is what you are looking for.  It also shows the models and what file does what to it's animations.  Some Animations are compatible with other models.  For example I could use some of Reno and Reeves animations with Sephiroth's field model.  For the World map you'll have to replace Cloud's, Cids and Tifa's world map model since they become party leaders at some point.

Zionhyome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-11 06:40:19 »
Holy begonia! I'm almost certain this is exactly what I need. Thank you, so much! You ate and awesome person! One question, though. From the looks of it, this is exactly what I'm needing, but how exactly would one go about switching models around? Do I just change the "this model is playable, and it's..."? Change every Tifa to Aerith, and every Aerith to Tifa? Or is it more complicated than that? This is the first time I've ever tried anything like this. For now, I just want it to be a model switch, but ultimately, I'm wanting to change dialogue to reflect the change, but that's probably way off. I just thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks again.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-11 07:11:31 »
Holy begonia! I'm almost certain this is exactly what I need. Thank you, so much! You ate and awesome person! One question, though. From the looks of it, this is exactly what I'm needing, but how exactly would one go about switching models around? Do I just change the "this model is playable, and it's..."? Change every Tifa to Aerith, and every Aerith to Tifa? Or is it more complicated than that? This is the first time I've ever tried anything like this. For now, I just want it to be a model switch, but ultimately, I'm wanting to change dialogue to reflect the change, but that's probably way off. I just thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks again.

The scripts you mentioned that say 'X is playable' are for handling which field model group the player can control, etc. To change models and animations, click on Tools then Field Models (or press CTRL+M). In the new window, you'll see a list called Field Models with four-letter names in it. Each field model has a 'master' file called a .hrc with a unique ID (Cloud's is AAAA.hrc, Barret's is ACGD.hrc, and so on).

On the right hand side is a list of all the animations that can be used by the field model on this particular field screen. These can be changed freely, removed, new ones added, etc. Note that there are different skeleton structures for the field models so loading an animation that isn't compatible with the field model's skeleton will result in a jumbled mess. Cloud's skeleton is the 'standard' for most human NPCs; the two you're working with though, Tifa and Aeris, unfortunately have different skeletons from each other.

Also, the order that the .hrcs appear in the list are the order they get assigned to the groups that have been specified as field models (you'll see a line saying 'This group is a field model (ID=0) in a group's Init script for instance; this means the game will check the field model list and load the very first .hrc it finds there; the first entry in the list is 0 and it counts up from there).

To make your project work, I recommend doing two things:

1) Go through any field screens that contain Tifa and/or Aeris and load the Field Model list. Look at the animations they have and make a notepad file where you can list the name of the animation with a small description of what the animation does.

2) Using the list you made, go into each field screen again and replace Tifa's animations with an Aeris animation that's similar (for instance, ACGB and BTCF which are Tifa - Nodding and Aeris - Nodding can be swapped so when they're used in a scene they don't look out of place). And remember to swap their .hrc IDs as well (Tifa's is AAGB.hrc and Aeris' standard one is AUFF.hrc).
« Last Edit: 2016-11-11 07:13:22 by Sega Chief »

Zionhyome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-11 08:26:17 »
Oh. Okay. Thank you. Yeah, I did figure that HRC thing out after my last post. When I changed them, their body parts were all over the place, so I knew that couldn't be right, but I had no idea what the right thing would be. It sounds a lot simpler than I was expecting, but I'm sure I'll find some way to mess it up. But I am learning quite bit by bit. I probably won't ever be a master at it, but I think I'll be able to do what I'm wanting to. You his are all so helpful.

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-11 10:08:15 »
Don't worry man we are all still learning at this.  That is how most of us got here I believe anyway.  I know I still am learning new things about it everyday.