Author Topic: A way to always have the "limit" usable without losing the "Attack" command ?  (Read 5149 times)

samourai23

• View Profile
Hi everyone, I found a way to havethe limits always usable, but I didn't found a way to make it work as I want.

Explaination:

I wanted to replace the "move" function (you know, the function at the very left of the battle menu), but it didn't work...
I used "WallMarket", and in the "command" section, I changed the "move" cursor action from "00 obey command target data" to "06 "limit" "
But nothing happened....
So I changed a materia so it have the limit function but it messes up the battle menu.... (Even though the limit works perfectly fine, and even work with support materias like Hp absorb. :lol: )

But I don't want that, I really want to change the "move" action into the "limit" action...

Does anyone knows how to do that ?
Thanks for the help :-)

(For those who are interested, I made a loooooot of changes in the "attack" section of WallMarket (I created various new magics like "petrify" or "darkness" or even new magics like "sand" or "aero2/aer0" you know ? So I'd like to make this limit command work ^^ ))

Special thanks to NFITC1 for creating this AWESOME software with which I had a lot of fun !!

PS: I don't know why, but the "attack" command is no longer relied to the support materia associated with master command... And the "2x-Cut/4x-Cut" and eeer... (don't know the name in english but) "FurieMax" and "Flash" doesn't replace "Attack"... I still don't know why.

PS2: I have another problem, I wanted 4x-cut, Flash etc to be add to the battle menu, by changing (in the "materia" section of WallMarket) the materia type from "12 Command Materia: Replace "Attack" command with command at offset [1] to [5]"   to   "16 Command Materia: Add LAST command from [1] to [5]" And guess what ? Nothing happens, it still replaces the "Attack" command so what the hell.....?
« Last Edit: 2010-01-07 18:44:55 by samourai23 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Short answer: Command hacking will never work the way you want it to.

Long answer: I won't go into it. It's somewhere in the WallMarket thread why just changing the cursor action won't work.

The only option you can have is to make a Command Materia that grants the "Limit" Command and have a player equip that all the time. Other than that you'll have to hack the battle engine.

PS2: I have another problem, I wanted 4x-cut, Flash etc to be add to the battle menu, by changing (in the "materia" section of WallMarket) the materia type from "12 Command Materia: Replace "Attack" command with command at offset [1] to [5]"   to   "16 Command Materia: Add LAST command from [1] to [5]" And guess what ? Nothing happens, it still replaces the "Attack" command so what the hell.....?

Take descriptions like that with a grain of salt. Again, for reasons too long to explain, it may not be possible to do what you want. I believe this has to do with the way the command menu prioritizes commands. If Flash is to be added then it WILL replace Attack. It's possible that effect 12 and 16 are identical and any differences they MAY have had at one time have been dummied out in place of a different way of organization.
Case-in-point: attack property 0002h. It used to be something like "use different animation when targeting multiple targets", but this functionality was dropped in favor of letting the animation itself handle that event. No, I don't have insider info on that, but that's the only thing that fits. The attacks that have that property look different when selecting multiple targets vs single targets, and the battle engine never even checks the property.

samourai23

• View Profile
So... That's impossible without seriously hacking the game...
Ok, thank you for answering.

the-algebraist

Hi guys, I'm new here, and not sure if this is what you are talking about.

I have BOTH the attack and limit functions working independantly. I did this be using a dummy materia and telling it to "12 Command Materia: Replace "Attack" command with command at offset [1] to [5]" then in the first change box I put the number 20(the id for the limit command).

This gives you the limit command, to the right hand side of the attack command, ALL the time.

Is that what you meant?

Link to picture: http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2200/answerd.jpg

if so, then enjoy, if not, I'm sorry :D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Hi guys, I'm new here, and not sure if this is what you are talking about.

I have BOTH the attack and limit functions working independantly. I did this be using a dummy materia and telling it to "12 Command Materia: Replace "Attack" command with command at offset [1] to [5]" then in the first change box I put the number 20(the id for the limit command).

This gives you the limit command, to the right hand side of the attack command, ALL the time.

Is that what you meant?

Link to picture: http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/2200/answerd.jpg

if so, then enjoy, if not, I'm sorry :D

Yes, replacing materia will work just fine. But he wanted to replace an existing command (in this case "Change") with Limit. That WILL NOT WORK. Your method does work, but it requires a materia slot to be used.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
Ok, so if this work, how does it work when USING the limit? Like after you use the limit break does it go to gray until you fill the gauge up again? Or is your limit break always use-able?

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
I'm pretty sure it will always be active. Limit bar fill% determines whether or not the Limit command is available, but if you've made it active by other means, then the first matter is moot. The only condition FF7 needs to take note of is "if LBar=255, let LimitActive = 1", or somesuch. It doesn't follow that the game will force LimitActive to equal 0 if LBar < 255.

However, using the limit may still trigger the emptying of the bar. Give it a go and tell us.

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
The other question is, does this make it so that Limit doesn't override the attack command when the limit bar is full? Because there is no reason for it to change that. Even with this materia equipped, it should theoretically still make "Attack -> Limit" when the gauge is full.

Edit: Yes, the limit command is always active. I guess if you wanted to implement this into the game and not be a cheap bastard and just spamming limit, its on you to not use it over and over, and only when the gauge is full. Also, yes, if you use a limit, even if the bar isn't full, it empties it to 0. Which is kinda annoying cause now I have to get hit by a guard about 5000 times just to test my other theory...

Edit 2: On top of how rather cheap this is. In setting a materia to give you Limit break 24/7/365, you dont remove the function to change Attack to Limit when your gauge is full. So, this is almost a pointless materia to make, unless you really want to make the game such a cake walk that no even the bosses have the slightest chance against you. So basically, I doubt there is an easy/efficient way to make it so Limit is available without losing the Attack command.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-03 20:14:04 by Immortal Damyn »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Edit 2: On top of how rather cheap this is. In setting a materia to give you Limit break 24/7/365, you dont remove the function to change Attack to Limit when your gauge is full. So, this is almost a pointless materia to make, unless you really want to make the game such a cake walk that no even the bosses have the slightest chance against you. So basically, I doubt there is an easy/efficient way to make it so Limit is available without losing the Attack command.

CHEAP?! How can that POSSIBLY be CHEAP??!?!11?1! [/sarcasm]

All limit mechanics are handled on the battle engine. The only way to stop Limit from overriding attack is to reduce the limit gauge to 0 (or anywhere bellow 255) after each attack. That can be achieved by modifying the post-attack scripts of each playable character, but I don't believe limit gauge value has been located yet. It's likely around 2030 or 2040 because limit level is 2038.