Author Topic: Drawing upon our collective exerience: SAFE mod combinations for FFVII  (Read 5768 times)

Synthesist

I was wondering, has anyone tried instaling a combination of mods on his game and achived a playthrough from start to finish?

Supposing a user hasupdated drivers and hasn't made any installation mistakes(both for the mods and the game), would a mod-combination/compatibility list be of use? Or are there variables that differ from PC to PC that could mess things up even for identical systems with identical -and correct- installations?

From what I've seen the most used mods are:
-the High Resolution mod
-FFVII Music Replacement
-NPC Filed Models' Replacement Project (now named Phoenix Rejuvinatiopn Project)
-YAMP multi-patcher
-gjoerulv's Hardcore Gameplay mod

Has anyone tried a combination of those and achieved a playthrough?
We could combine experience, attempt playthroughs and extract our conclusions into a stickied "Mod Combination FAQ" :evil:

If this has been attempted previously excuse me, it might have slipped from my searching :-)

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
On my computer I have Gjoerulv's mod, the saints high res patch, and dzuigo's 9999 limit breaker all installed. Everything works fine... well except for the fact that I have that stupid problem where my cinematics are all upside down, but that's just a minor annoyance.

Tsetra

• View Profile
I use a ton of mods with no consequence - to include:

NPC-RP/PRP
High-Res Mod
YAMP
FF7-Music
[someones]Kernel2.bin name spell and weapon name replacer

Probably forgetting a couple.

FF7Voice will also stack with all of the above perfectly fine as well when it comes out. I also use a completely modified flevel.lgp that continually changes as I progress through the game alongside FF7Voice, and that stacks just fine as well.
The only time you need to worry is when two mods alter the same file. Especially if one completely overwrites a file. This is why I like programs such as the earlier Reconstruction Project patch, which broke down the file and only changed specific files. Files that do complete replacements are what causes incompatibilities. So far, very few mods will conflict with each other. The biggest problem is dealing with FF7.exe because many mods run a CRC check on it. Obviously if you run a patch on it, the CRC is going to change. This is mostly to ensure patches meant for 1.02 will ONLY work with 1.02 but it causes a headache no less. Still, at least the patch will work as intended if/when it installs.

Synthesist

So no incompatibilities with those you listed, that's a good sign!

I'm going to try mixing the following:

-NPC RP//Phoenix RP ~~~~~>which is more "compatible"?
-Gjoerulv's Hardcore mod
-Saint's High Resolution
-YAMP
-FFMusic
-9999 Breaker
-1.02 patch :-D

I think these have become a must at this moment, so I'll try mixing them and seeing how it goes and report back

About the upside-down cinematics, is there a patch that addresses it, so that I could include it and see if it mixes right?

Tyler_Wu

• View Profile
I don't know anything about how to fix the upside down cinematics, I just wanted to say that i am pretty sure you can't have the 9999 breaker patch and the phoenix rejuv patch at the same time. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Tsetra

• View Profile
Yeah you can, fortunately. I've got the 9999 break through YAMP alongside the PRP. I've never had the upside down AVI problem, but there's the patch and failing that, somewhere in here are instructions for tweaking your codecs to improve the quality of the videos, which some people have reported also has the side effect of solving the upside down issue.

Alkor

• O_o
    • View Profile
i'm dunno if someone can install FFVII music properly?  :|

Synthesist

What do you mean Alkor?

Also, I heard about another mod similar to FFVII-music that replaces the game's MIDIs with PSFs and has some advantages, like playing the tracks continually without gaps between repeats.

Do you guys know anything about that? Have you tried it? Is it more "mature"(from stability/crashes etc)  as a mod than FF7Misuc?

Swampthing15

• View Profile
ok so i had FF7 on my other comp with windows xp for a while now, and i installed and uninstalled so many mods i was not sure what was on it. but i recently got another computer with vista on it and have spent all day getting ff7 to work on it. so far here is my mod list that works with minor bugs:

1.02 patch
true motion patch
k-lite codec pack (3.0.4)
movies on HD
YAMP-    9999 limit break
            Gyptinstant
   Â        minigame fix
           Krucis default run
           transparent dialog box
prp char.lgp
APZFREAK bustersword
New Spell Patch  by zero88
Slayersnext's tiffa, yuffie, and weapons mod .62 (minus the buster sword)
and someones high res cloud battle model. im sorry that i cant give the creator credit, ive just looked at too many cloud models to remember.

ok the minor bugs that i mentioned are as follows:

sometimes at the end of a movie the screen stays black but the gypt mod fixes that when i hit ctrl-D

at the beginning when cloud looks up at the reactor and the screen goes to behind his shoulder, he stays small instead of gets bigger as the camera gets closer. (this is right after u name barret)

im still having the invisible materia problem, but i think that is just because i install the prp mod the way that i do, if you install normally then it shouldnt be an issue.

and for some reason, the scene in the train car right after cloud jumps in the train is silent.

ive only played for a little bit, but this is what ive run into so far, so ill post more if i find them
« Last Edit: 2008-11-29 21:54:10 by Swampthing15 »

polaris_027

you got slayer's models to work with apz' buster sword? hmm..try some of his swords and let me know if it all works perfectly for you..

Swampthing15

• View Profile
ive been trying these new swords and all of them work fine, except for the one titled Excalibur in the equip menu, its invisible in battle. I am using slayersnext non high res patch (for some reason the high res patch puts a green grid across the back ground for me. after u extract all of the files from both mods, just replace the "rtck" file in slayers' mod with the one from apz's buster sword files. worked fine for me. sorry it took so long but i have to use all of the editing tools (pcreator, lgp tools, etc.) on my xp comp and then place them on my vista comp. none of the editing stuff will work on my vista.