Author Topic: FF8 mods aren't working  (Read 14697 times)

Puv

• View Profile
FF8 mods aren't working
« on: 2015-12-27 23:35:24 »
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole modding thing and I just joined the site  :mrgreen:

I'm playing the steam version of ff8 and none of the mods I'm using are working. I am using project eden, seed reborn and rebirth flame with tonberry 1.5. The only thing that was working was seed reborn, i saw a post that told me that hashmap1 wasn't needed with eden so i deleted it. Then seed reborn stopped working :/

I don't think i've copied over all the eden files and I have no clue how to post screenshots from my own computer, i know there's an image button but there's no way to upload an image from my computer :(

I'll have to describe it as best as I can, inside my tonberry folder there is
debug0
collisions.csv
hash1map.csv
hash2map.csv
objfile.csv
prefs.txt
readme.txt
RebirthFlame_hm.csv

Help would be appreciated, thank you  :-P

FatedCourage

• I'll never regret knowing you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
Re: FF8 mods aren't working
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-27 23:48:18 »
You'll probably need to update to v2.04 and follow the steps on the front page.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15945.0

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-28 11:51:12 »
Okay so i've upgraded to the latest version, i replaced the old tonberry with the new one  and have replaced all the old project eden files with the same project eden files  just to be safe.

Do I HAVE to use the persistent texture thingy? Also, I have a new folder in tonberry called hashmap and also objmap. Inside both folders there is one folder called disabled with nothing in it. All my hashmaps are just in tonberry, do I place my hashmaps in the disabled folder inside hashmap?

Okay so i placed hash1map inside the disabled folder inside the hashmap folder. I placed hash1map and the rebirth flame_hm.csv inside the hashmap folder but outside the disabled folder. I also placed the objfile.csv inside the objmap folder but outside the disabled folder.

UPDATE: I placed hash1map in the hashmap folder instead of in the disabled folder. In the hashmap folder now there is:
collisions.csv
hash1map.csv
hash2map.csv
RebirthFlame_hm.csv

There is nothing in the disabled folder for hashmap. In objmap i put objfile.csv but i put nothing in the disabled folder. When I load the game up the title menu looks re-done, but nothing else has changed. When I click escape to exit the game, it should say"Do you want to exit the game?" with yes and no in 2 separate boxes, but there are no letters or words which indicates something has gone wrong

Alright, so I realised I didn't read a bit in the link you posted so i went back and followed the instructions again and placed the files in the correct places. The words aren't missing anymore, but im back to square 1, the title menu looks fancy and so does the text but all the backgrounds and models look exactly the same.

UPDATE:I forgot to download the hashmaps for eden and seed reborn that mcindus posted in the thread, I did that and put them in correct folders but nothing happened. The menu still looks fancy tho. I tried deleting hash1map and everything still remained the same. I replaced the old hash2map and collisions with the ones mcindus posted in the thread, but everything has still stayed the same.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-28 12:26:23 by Puv »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-28 19:28:19 »
Okay. I'll try and help the best I can.

When upgrading, did you replace all the old Tonberry files with the new ones?

You don't have to use persistent textures. Sometimes things like the new text will rarely revert back to the old and it's for stopping that from happening.

Hash1map is no longer used if you've downloaded "ProjectEden_hm". The only files you'll still need is collisions and hash2map which will stay inside the Tonberry folder. The others ending in "_hm"(hashmap) and "_obj"(objmap) will go into their respective folders. The disabled folder inside them is exactly what it says... To disable them. So just leave them outside of that.

And are you placing the folders(mine will be "ch") inside the textures folder? With SeeD Reborn working, I assume you're doing that correctly.

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-28 19:43:11 »
Okay good news and bad news :/

I deleted hash1map and now the texture models have been replaced with better ones. I think eden is working but tbh i really can't tell the difference as of now. But the nice overlay is gone so the title screen and text boxes look like they did before seed reborn.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-28 19:50:38 »
Sounds like we're almost there then. :) The point of Eden is to upscale and help get rid of the pixelation. You can always put the file in the disabled folder and restart the game to see if there are any differences just to make sure. Hm... With the "SeeDReborn_hm" you downloaded, it should work.

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-28 19:53:36 »
Thank you for all your help so far, I just tried that and yes eden does work, i noticed a huge difference :D. So that's 2 mods,the latest version of the objmap.csv,is that from august 18th 2014?

Since hash2map and collisions latest versions are from 2015 i thought objmap would be updated too.

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2015-12-28 19:56:32 »
No problem. And that's good news. There is something called an objmap.csv? Which mod is that one from?

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-12-28 19:58:15 »
I meant to say objfile sorry  :|. Is there a latest version of objfile.csv?

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2015-12-28 20:02:30 »
Ah... But which mod did this objmap file come from? Because most mods just use hashmap files now. Unless you're planning on using the Lunar Cry mod to upscale enemies.

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2015-12-28 20:03:44 »
Nope i'm not using lunar cry, i'll delete it and see what happens. I forgot where it came from.

Okay so i moved it into the disabled folder and everything stayed the same, no new menu overhaul like it should be. The character models were the modded ones tho and eden was fine. I tried deleting it completely and nothing changed.
Any solutions?
« Last Edit: 2015-12-28 20:09:30 by Puv »

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2015-12-28 20:14:21 »
Ah, okay. Well, after things get sorted out, there are plenty of other mods I do recommend. ;)

Maybe try going back to the Tonberry page and redownload the hashmap for SeeD Reborn(and whatever language version you use)? Because you already have the textures.

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2015-12-28 22:18:39 »
Okay I'll try that and see what happens. Thank you  8-)

Puv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-12-28 22:24:23 »
I tried re-downloading the hashmap and nothing happened :(

FatedCourage

• View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 2015-12-29 16:36:27 »
That's unfortunate... But the other mods seem to work okay. So maybe something is set up differently with your SeeD Reborn than the others?

themooman5590

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2016-01-12 07:14:31 »
Hi,

I'm new to modding and I am having a bit of a problem. It looked like a very similar problem that was being helped here so I figured posting in here was better than making a new thread (though I could always be wrong lol)

I'm using TonberryEnhanced2.04, Project Eden, HorizonPack-v.2.1, SeeD_Reborn(v3.2), Apocalypse v1.0, FF8_CB_Xbox360, Rebirth Flame v1.1 (Beta), Tripod v1.1, and LunarCry_v1.2.

I've deleted the Hash1map, and have followed the install instructions as best I could. Now the game starts and everything seems to work right, until I try to leave to go to the Fire Cavern. The moment I step out of Balamb I hit an error that says "an unknown exception has occurred".

Any idea what may be causing this? Also could you point me in the direction of some pictures of the Tonberry file that has all the mods already downloaded and working, that way I could cross check and make sure I'm not just being an idiot and placing some files where they don't belong?

anjlebrill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2020-11-25 20:04:14 »
Well, if you aren't interested in the remaster that's coming out in a few short days here, the only mod I fully endorse for the old steam version as a must have is Roses and Wine, in order to use the original PS1 soundtrack.
« Last Edit: 2020-11-26 16:26:14 by strife98 »