Author Topic: Anyone get Skyrim yet?  (Read 7734 times)

KaidenJames

• It's cuz of the !@#$ 'pizza'
    • View Profile
Anyone get Skyrim yet?
« on: 2011-11-12 00:57:37 »
Did anyone get Skyrim yet? So far I like it a lot. I'm really anticipating my first dragon attack! What do you guys think?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get Skyrim yet?
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-12 01:18:40 »
What do you mean "yet"? Some of us may not get it at all.

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-11-12 01:54:11 »
Just wondering who has gotten it, and how they like it.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #3 on: 2011-11-12 04:32:32 »
i've got it and while i like it, some things are a little messed up. one of the first quests i got ended up with me facing a boss that i could not possibly beat at such an early level.

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-11-12 06:11:47 »
Ya i've been one shot by a troll already. It seems it's a tad more difficult than previous Elder Scrolls. Sill fun as hell though.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-11-12 13:57:22 »
After Oblivion and Fallout 3, wasn't getting it.

After watching a stream, wouldn't even pirate it, looks like a really bad console port, textures looks bad even on highest settings, menus don't use the mouse and some idiot at Bethesda though having mouse smoothing on by default and not having a menu option to turn it off was a good idea.

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-11-13 02:01:27 »
Yeah i agree with you on the textures part. And while it looks iffy on high settings, it still looks pretty damn good on low settings (which I have to use because i'm on an older lap top) That being said, the game is new and there aren't very many mods out for it yet. I think we will get some really good texture mods like we got for Oblivion. So that's something to look forward to  :-P And duel-wielding. Cannot wait till  can do that lol.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #7 on: 2011-11-13 14:07:53 »
I got it on release date from Amazon. Haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm still upset Amazon didn't give the preorder bonuses. Gotta remember that for future reference about where I preorder from (not Amazon).

Mendelevium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-11-15 23:53:39 »
To be honest I am surprised that this is my first post in ages, haha: but here is my opinion on Skyrim.

Graphics:

A big step up from the last Elder Scrolls Game, yes, but there are still a lot of spots in the game where the UV's are choppy: like half a rock appearing out of the dirt and the edge is perfectly straight which makes it look unnatural. On the all the graphics make the world very interesting and add to the immersion. The world is just plain fun to look at and explore. That being said they could have done a lot better; over all it feels slightly rushed, but still a very pretty game.

Game play:

The battle system is fun; the dual triggers thing pleased me. Still your standard hack and slash Elder Scrolls game though.
The magic system is a BIG yes, the saving factor of the whole game in my opinion. They have spells that actually interact with the environment around (e.g. the trap spells, and chain lightning.).

The down side being, the NPCs are not lippy enough; I mean all the quests seem too quick, and rushed. Which makes the whole experience reek of a mediocre game. The only NPCs I found interesting were the guards; they actually react to your style of play. If you play a player who is based in conjuration they actually remark on your "summoning" abilities.

The User Interface:

Simply put, disgusting. It's just a list. Plain and simple. Also the compass is in your face and breaks the immersion for me.

Crappy Port:

It is meant to be played on a council. Xbox 360, ps3. It wasn't made fully for the PC; it is playable, but clunky. The user interface doesn't react well to the mouse, I find myself stuck using the keyboard; and for the Love of God you cannot rotate the objects in the viewing screen: which was so blatantly emphasized at the E3 game play teaser. 

Story:

Disappointing, and cliche' and overly rushed. I've come to expect more from a Bethesda game.

End Notes:

On the all it's not a game I consider worth my money. However, I am looking forward to when the modding tools of this game come out; the base Bethesda made makes me quite excited to see what some clever individuals can come up with. (User interface fixes, proper PC play-ability, smooth out some of the graphical problems and new quests.)

That is my opinion of Skyrim: I haven't fully finished the game, but this is the vibe I am getting so far.

- Mendelevium
« Last Edit: 2011-11-15 23:55:59 by Mendelevium »

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-11-16 00:13:46 »
That was very well put Mend. I agree with a lot of what you said. And some of the others there are already solutions for. You can fix a lot of weird things just by configuring the ini file. The battle system is REALLY fun. I enjoy getting into fights a lot. And I think they did a really nice job with how magic is used. I also agree that the guards are the best NPCs. They've actually already commented on my conjuration ironically. Fighting dragons, is SUPER fun. I love it. I'm also amazed at how well the game plays on my older lap top. When I first started it up i said "wow, this looks a lot better than I thought it would." And I cannot wait till people start modding the crap out of this game. The people over at Nexus have The Elder Scrolls games down, and we should see some beautiful mods here in a bit. All in all i think it is a really fun game and I keep going back n forth between this and FF7 lol.

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-30 21:27:18 »
Finally finished the game!  8)

hotdog963al

• Horse
    • View Profile
    • Horse HQ
« Reply #11 on: 2011-11-30 22:53:45 »
The game is fucking amazing, but there are quite a few bugs which shouldn't be there. Atmosphere is top notch!

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-12-01 01:48:41 »
The game is f*cking amazing, but there are quite a few bugs which shouldn't be there. Atmosphere is top notch!

Am i the only one who hasn't noticed any bugs? Not even some i guess well known PC crashes (maybe it's the LAA patch i use)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-12-01 18:46:03 »
Am i the only one who hasn't noticed any bugs? Not even some i guess well known PC crashes (maybe it's the LAA patch i use)
Just recently they released an update for a huge amount of bugs like invisible walls etc. While this update is meant to fix the bugs it has created even more new bugs lol 
Some few information here:
http://8bitplayground.com/2011/11/30/skyrim-patch-fixed-some-things-broke-others/
Im surprised you haven't spotted any

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-02 20:47:14 »
Its a really good game, I'll give it that, but it has tons of problems - and not nearly as much atmosphere as the early elder scrolls games.

TES went from being their own series to being generic medieval fantasy central. Daggerfall and Morrowind were awesome, and DF was 10x harder then any recent ones.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-12-06 16:14:08 »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #16 on: 2011-12-08 17:49:18 »
one thing i'm going to complain about is just how quickly i got through all the factions such as the thieves guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc. compared to how long it took in earlier games such as oblivion.

KaidenJames

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-12-08 21:34:08 »
Does anyone else get random crashes in the game? I'll play for like an hour or two and my game will randomly crash? It sucks, I haven't even joined any faction yet as i'm doing the main story line still, and can't seem to get consistent gameplay   :( I heard the update helps game stability but also glitches out a lot of stuff. Should I update it anyways?