Author Topic: FF8 leveling mod anywhere?  (Read 4191 times)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
FF8 leveling mod anywhere?
« on: 2012-01-03 18:06:28 »
Hey guys, i finally, after a nightmarish bath of anger and urge to murder square executives, got FF8 working right on my newer laptop.

However, the one thing i've never liked about the game is the whole "monsters level up with you" thing, i'm wondering if there is a mod to make monster levels static around, as i haven't seen one while searching.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF8 leveling mod anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-01-03 18:11:14 »
Not only isn't there such a thing as far as I know, but I doubt it could be made properly without a TON of work to rebalance it; simply disabling that "feature" would presumably keep everything at one difficulty throughout the game; either too difficult or too easy.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #2 on: 2012-01-03 18:27:28 »
i see... is there any way to get the world map to stop turning at least? its a real pain

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-01-04 05:36:31 »
i see... is there any way to get the world map to stop turning at least? its a real pain

if you're playing FF8 PC i think there's a button for that in-game. though i haven't played it in months so i don't really recall.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-01-04 21:26:53 »
The problem with ff8's difficult is that its balanced at two tiers. one is lvl (and monster lvl based on yours) and the other is junctions.

Unfortunately for modding, these systems are inherently broken.

Level difficulties vary monster, aka, a bite bug is always crazy easier than a ruby dragon of the same level no matter what. Also, some monsters have minimum levels, which sort of curbs this. unfortunately, different monsters have very different and sometimes extreme strength curves, with late game monsters having very steep curves as you level.

On the junction side of things, the game wants you to get spells relative to your level, such as through higher lvl spells being obtainable from higher level monsters. this is broken right at the begining of the game with triple triad.

Have fun trying to balance them apples.

want ff8 to be more fun? turn on enc-none, pwn bosses w/ limit breaks.