Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079017 times)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
Re: [REL/FF7] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod. v1.0.5
« Reply #1350 on: 2012-04-02 13:12:41 »
Good news everyone. Sqeenix contacted me the other day. They said they're gonna remake ff7 for the PS4!! And there is gonna be an option to play with my mod in it.  8)
They're gonna pay me a hefty amount of cash. I'll finally be rich lol. $$$

A user on youtube uploaded a clip from a squeeny press conference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ0knsGUHmQ
i am such a clutz i actually believed this then remembered it was April -.- lol

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: 2012-04-07 17:43:28 »
OMFG!!! This was just pisstaking im on the Bit on Shinra bridge going up floors completing the really time-consuming mini-games and when i got to the 65th floor and was gonna get the last chest "Chest F" Randomly 3 f***** strong soldiers come out which i think was included in the mod (loved the quotes between them and Cloud in battle lol) but seriously i was not ready for this and they just f***** me up now i have to do that 65th floor mini game again -.-, so basically i wouldn't mind fighting them again since it was fun any tips to kill those soldiers and what will i get in return?

Blah

• View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: 2012-04-07 22:25:50 »
Actually, the fight start as soon as you grab the key. You are forced to fight them. I strongly suggest you to take all the chests except this one, and save the game right before opening the chest. They are tough, especially if you want to steal them all.
As for tips to beat them, there are many infos scattered in this thread or on youtube, you should try a couple times by yourself before consulting a strategy ;)

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: 2012-04-07 22:47:00 »
Ah that makes alot of sense thanks alot :D, especially never thought about saving just before the last chest now this will be really helpful as i can fight them many times, looks like your some expert on this or probably completed the game with it :), anyways thanks you and also thanks gjoerulv for this mod now fights seem much more fun and different :D

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: 2012-04-08 00:38:36 »
Well, I've played a bit more. Left the sidequests and gone to the Northern Cave, I've reached Jenova-Synthesis but haven't beat her. Had a go against Omega as well, very nice fight, can't beat it yet.

I have to say, the random battles here are VERY nice. The Iron Giant took a little bit of thinking - also at one point, everything I did to him started only doing 1 damage, is this intentional?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1355 on: 2012-04-10 06:29:11 »
I have to say, the random battles here are VERY nice. The Iron Giant took a little bit of thinking - also at one point, everything I did to him started only doing 1 damage, is this intentional?

It use the dragon force/hero drink effect with adrenaline. To damage it you need to use defence ignoring attacks: lvl4 limits/bahamuts/typhoon/kotr/p's box.

@e1sunz
There are many strategies posted here. They counter a lot.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: 2012-04-10 13:01:11 »
@e1sunz
There are many strategies posted here. They counter a lot.
yeah sorry about that i was just too lazy to read through most of the posts il make sure not to do it again :)

LJH

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: 2012-04-12 12:08:50 »
It doesn't seem to always happen, though? Usually once Peerless wears off, I can damage them again just fine...

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: 2012-04-16 23:13:06 »
I am going to try and add support for this for retranslation project, but I will need to be kept updated as to any developments this may have in the future.

From what I can see, this mod does not alter any of the text that matters.  It doesn't alter any text at all in flevel, therefore, more or less, the retranslation already supports this due to touphscript.  Somebody try installing menu overhaul with retranslation as a test WITHOUT the hardcore option ticked.

edit: scene and kernel do have issues.  ts cannot decode the hardcore mod ones, and I will get luksy to look into this.  It may be the author of this also needs to do some tweaking.  It looks as if the kernel2 and scene files have been poorly compressed or something.

edit 2: suggest author opens kernel,kernel2 and scene bin in proud clod and wallmarket and saves, then uses the resulting files in the mod to figure out why they differ to the hardcore versions.  The current 3 after patching by this mod are incompatible with touphscript.

edit 3.  Proud clod wont even save the scene... some error with the scene?
« Last Edit: 2012-04-17 00:46:49 by DLPB »

luksy

• View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: 2012-04-17 01:15:08 »
The file at scene.bin offset 0x5364 seems to be one byte too long when uncompressed; ts (and presumably PC?) checks to see if the gzip stream is finished so the extra byte causes it to fail as it always expects 0x1e80 bytes.

It could be changed to be more lenient but I'd prefer to keep it strict. I'll have a look at kernel2 now.

Ok kernel2 defines its size as 0x35c2, but the actual file size is 0x38c4, so either there's junk at the end of the file past 0x35c2, or the header size is wrong. Again it's something that could be relaxed in ts but I'd rather not have to :D
« Last Edit: 2012-04-17 01:25:37 by luksy »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1360 on: 2012-04-17 22:36:26 »
edit 2: suggest author opens kernel,kernel2 and scene bin in proud clod and wallmarket and saves, then uses the resulting files in the mod to figure out why they differ to the hardcore versions.  The current 3 after patching by this mod are incompatible with touphscript.

edit 3.  Proud clod wont even save the scene... some error with the scene?

It's a while since I looked into the compression method. I guess I didn't imagine someone would try to work with these files. I'll look into it, but I'm pretty busy atm  :'( so I can't promise a swift response.
Keep in mind that the user can choose to not patch kernel (or any other file). The application updates the lookuptable accordingly.

@edit3. Saves fine at my end. Both with PC 1.4 and 1.5. Is there a newer release?

For kernel2 I used theio. I haven't touched it in at least 2 years.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: 2012-04-17 22:39:23 »
When your files can be opened with touphscript I will support this in the retranslation.  When you get time have a look at the things luksy mentioned and see if you can fix them :)  You can always send the new scene and kernels to luksy to see if you have it right.  If you simply replace kernels and scenes in the game, surely you can just open/save with proud clod and wallmarket and then use those?

Dan

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1362 on: 2012-04-18 10:07:26 »
In the later releases that is what I've done.

I'm guessing the problem is when the patch checks the lookuptable in the kernel. It's not needed to check this if the user patch both scene and kernel, but there may be a mistake in there somewhere, meaning it'll check anyway.  :P

I'm going on a trip today. I'll bring the files with me and maybe sneak some time in to take a look.

Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: 2012-05-16 09:14:16 »
I've picked this back up lately. I went ahead and got everyone up to 99, and now I'm working on fighting some of the weirder enemies before trying the Northern Cave again. I killed the dragon in one of the Materia caves, but the dragon in Mt. Nibel is a tougher customer. I figured out pretty easily that Guivere's Aquarius is a water attack, and you need to be prepared against Confuse/Berserk. After that it's just figuring out how to survive the insane physical damage it dishes out. No luck so far- knocked it down pretty well and then it attacked me 3 times in a row. (Also, one time I had hit it for maybe 35k- not much at all, really- and it killed Cloud and then died for what seemed like no reason. Is this a bug?)

Are there any other boss-type monsters running around the world that I've missed? I have decided not to even try to deal with the boss for KotR. (Saw a youtube video for it...ugh.)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1364 on: 2012-05-19 00:38:59 »
There is the Jumbo cactuar. Also the golem in cosmo canyon.

The dragon may be harder than the KOTR boss. On the KOTR boss in the video I was slacking of on purpose to show of it's attacks. If you, for instance, have barret with a missing score with high ap materia and 4x attack, you'll probably 1-hit kill it every time. The trick is to prevent it from attacking while it's visible and time the attacks accordingly.

The dragon counterattacks in counter mode. It may have countered your attack before it died.
How much HP total had you dealt? It has around 250 000 HP.

Also, the dragon in the materia caves was supposed to be like the one in mt.nibel. Will be updated in next release.

NxK

• In AI I Trust
    • View Profile
    • YT
« Reply #1365 on: 2012-05-19 09:21:26 »
Also, there are the Synergy Souls in the Whirlwind Maze. In the version I was using when I played through the hack for the first time, they were  invincible when they appeared in groups of more than two... I do think, however, this was changed in later releases, right?

Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: 2012-05-20 04:55:53 »
When it randomly died? Not very much at all- I think I had hit it for maybe 35 or 40k damage. It was in action mode at the time. I keep trying it, but I get to a point where I've done a lot of damage and then it starts attacking over and over again without changing turns until my whole party dies.

I'll look for the Jumbo Cactuar (I assume on Cactuar Island) and the golem in Cosmo Canyon, which I hope is out on the field and not in the Gi dungeon.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1367 on: 2012-05-22 06:57:55 »
The dragon have a 50% chance to do additional attacks when it's HP is < 10% of max HP. It can turn over to counter mode if you attack it.
One trick you could try is to absorb holy elemental and buff your characters. I haven't tried it myself, but it may help.

The jumbo cactuar is outside the purple materia cave. The golem is outside cosmo canyon. There is also the turtle on the beaches outside wutai and the dragon rider on the rocky area outside fort condor. All appear in random battles.

Slade

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: 2012-05-23 06:05:10 »
Took out the dragon, legit this time. An all-covering, max HP/defense Barret, a max magic Vincent hitting it with Pandora's Box when not healing, and Cloud healing/Omnislashing took care of business.

Killed the Jumbo Cactuar (so that's where the Tetra Elemental is!) and the Golem (which was probably scary back when I was level-appropriate). Now working on Omega. If he has a form after green, I'm going to cry...

Kelios

« Reply #1369 on: 2012-05-30 01:36:17 »
Hi, I recently got your mode as part of the "Remix" pack, it was all running well until I got to the first Jenova fight (in Shinra HQ), instead of fighting Jenova I fought the boss you fight in the elevator (with Aeris, Barrett & Red) and then suddenly Rufus appeared and I fought him as well. Since then the boss fights have been all out of sync:

Instead of Cloud fighting Rufus it's Cloud versus the boss after the Motorcycle minigame
Instead of that boss I got a random encounter in a cave
In the cave after the Midgar Zolom marsh I fought the beach boss at Junon (random encounter no less)
At that boss I fought a random encounter.
Currently I'm on the way to Costa Del Sol and the same issue occurs, (Boss is a random encounter, random encounter instead of boss)

I checked the version I was using and found it was out of date, so I upped it to 1.5, tried it again and I got another random encounter instead of Jenova (and the setting was the cave under Cosmo Canyon).

I read the first few pages of the thread and some people had the same issue with your earlier versions but you seemed to think you'd fixed them. I haven't read past page 6/7 (at 55 pages I don't think you can blame me) so if you have got a fix I'm sorry for wasting your time. However if you aren't sure of what's causing the issue could you let me know how to remove the mod safely as it is really jarring.

Thanks for your time.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1370 on: 2012-05-30 17:12:25 »
Intresting...

I assume you used my patch when you updated. I don't support the remix version.

Did you patch all the files? If no, what files did you leave out?
What FF language are you playing (if not english)?

Wrong encounters = error in the kernel lookup table. The patch should update this for you. If you edit the scene without updating the lookup table, the encounter will be messed up like this.

You can try Proud Clod if nothing else works: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8481.0
Open scene.bin with Proud Clod. Edit anything you like(optinal). Then file -> save (create scene bin). You will probably be asked to check the kernel. Click "yes" if so.

Is there a option in the remix to turn of the hard mod?

Cozzer

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: 2012-05-30 18:30:25 »
I'm having a strange issue with this mod, somehow similar to Kelios' one.

I installed it with Bootleg 0038, using the "multi-mode" option.
So, I started BootLoaded and started a new game with the "Hardcore" option selected. But the game was normal (Cloud starting at lv06 and the normal weak enemies in the reactor). So, I saved, closed the game and restarted.
The encouters were strange: I met red panthers and other enemies I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have found until later. I assumed the higher difficulty was part of the mod, but they still felt "off" (the enemies models were completely differen from the ones you normally find: even the first scripted encounter with the two soldiers somehow turned into a fight against four red panthers).
Then, I suddenly met Air Buster as a random encounter.

I closed the game and started a new one, and again it's completely normal, as if I didn't select this mod.

I don't know if it's an issue with the hardcore mod or bootleg, so I'm posting this here hoping the problem has already been found and resolved by someone else...

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1372 on: 2012-05-30 18:35:11 »
Have you tried running my patch? I have never looked into the bootleg, but I guess it doesn't hurt to see if someone else has similar problems using bootleg.
As I said, I've never used it. I can't really give a good answer.

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: 2012-05-30 18:37:37 »
In Bootleg 0038, Hardcore mode switching is broken when using Menu Overhaul.
This is fixed for 0039.

Kelios' issue may be due to the UAC/DEP problem.  Is it a Windows Vista system?
Run the Hardcore installer as administrator.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1374 on: 2012-05-30 20:22:08 »
The patch requires you to run as admin (it can't not run as admin), but it doesn't hurt to right click -> run as admin.