Author Topic: [WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement  (Read 171427 times)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
[WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement
« on: 2010-06-29 02:06:36 »
This thread will be used to post updates/info/problems, etc related to the Battle-scene Enhancement Project.

Currently the project members are as follows:  Pyrozen
                                                                 Sithlord48
                                                                 Dragowulf
                                                                 Jeffdamann

We need all the help we can get, so anyone interested in helping retexture any battle-scene in Final Fantasy VII please PM me and we can get you started!

Currently, we are working on the OP,OQ, and OR series of textures. There has been much work done on each one of the series, but we finally have a finished texture.

Here is the OPAC original.

Here is an extreme rough draft of OPAC-REMASTERED by sithlord48, after I applied some sharpening and despeckling and lighting.

And here is close to the final version, It was gonna be final, but I just noticed where my wife effed withh my shading, so I have to fix that and itll be released.

Please leave any suggestions so we can make this look good!

EDIT: I have completed OPAC, and can be made available to anyone interested, or just save the pic and insert it, either way.
Here is a video of the texture used in battle, I LOVE IT! Do you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc0h5ASHb0I
Once again watch the video in 720 p so you can see some definition, gotta get fraps to working again...
« Last Edit: 2010-07-02 04:10:53 by jeffdamann »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Battle-scene Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-29 05:05:30 »
okay, a little unrelated, but how do you get the Battle Menu to look like that?

BTW looks awesome. If you could get better enemy models, you could seriously mess with the FFVII fanbase by making them think it's a remake. Think you could tell/show me how to get textures like that into my game? (Yes, I'm a newb)

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-29 05:14:19 »
Getting the battle menu to look like that is as simple as me sending you the appropriate files and you replacing them.

As for getting that screen in battle, just download it and make sure it gets downloaded at 2048x2048, if not Ill make a file available. After you have the file in PNG format grab LGPtools or LGP/UNLGP (I noticed you run seven, so even though lgptools is buggy as hell, Id recommend it because you need command prompt for LGP/UNLGP)

With LGPtools just open and click no on the shell extensions, then click the open tab and go to your FF7 directory.There select data/battle.lgp (you may wanna back this file up first :) ) Then select the 8000-9000 block of files(youll see when you get there)

Once inside the 8k-9k block, go down to find the texture OPAC. Highlight it and choose replace, then select the new background file. Click OK and your done, you can now use the battle file all you want(only applies to the first battles(by the train and the next 2 screens)

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-06-29 06:13:42 »
Don't know if you got the PMs, but yes, I would like the Battle Menu files.

And, if you could maybe a link to whatever you used to get the high res Character Battle Models?

And thank you for the OPAC thing, i got it working. If I could figure out how to work Photoshop, i would try making a couple of these myself.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-06-29 10:23:52 »
It's looking good indeed, although with those models it looks a bit weird :P

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-06-29 11:14:25 »
Looks great, keep it up man

srsmklt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-06-29 17:48:00 »
i want that new battle menu style too plz :D

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-06-29 20:55:04 »
Search function guys, I already uploaded the files in another thread.

Anyways, am I the only one who thinks that those letters on the ground are too bright ? I like the fact that in the original, it looks old, worn-out. Kinda like how the feel of Star Wars episodes IV to VI is better than I to III's, since spaceships and places look old and dirty. Like they've been around for a very, very long time. None of those crappy and unrealistic clean and shiny CGs that plague the movies industry. This texture gives me the feeling that those white letters have been painted seconds before Avalanche's assault. And this whiteness also distracts the player / viewer from what's actually going on on the battle field.

I know you want us to see your work, but I think you should tone the colors down, Jeff ;) Other than that, it looks perfect :)
« Last Edit: 2010-06-29 21:12:20 by Armorvil »

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-06-29 22:48:22 »
If you will notice by zooming in on the photos, in the rough render, it does look freshly painted, but look closely at the last pic I posted( second to final render, final render is in the video) Notice how the letters look painted onto the street and worn and faded?

If that is not enough wear and fade for you guys I can decrease it heavily, but, IMO, it looks horrible.Looks as if it were painted on 50 years before, and you can barely make it out I was well aware of the fact that ppl didnt like the 08 last time sithlord posted it, so I made sure to modify it heavily.

If you would like to see how it looks with a more heavily faded 08, I will be glad to whip it up for ya(will take like 5 seconds)

Keep the criticism coming, but I must tell you, that one o my goals is to make the images in ff7 sharp and crisp. No one wants blur all over their textures, if so why dont we blur the hell out of the models and see how that looks lol.

So keeping in mind that I want to stick to the original but lose any blur or low detail in the game, and replace everything with super-sharp, crisp, high detail textures to improve this game.

STATUS UPDATE: Nearing completion of OQAC, possible upload tomorrow.I have been the only one working on this project since it started, although sithlord provided me with his OPAC, so things will go slow atm.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-06-29 23:13:34 »
Hmm, you know you could probably make it look more worn out by adding in a couple cracks. If it were a street, I would suggest some tire tracks (but it's not). Maybe shade small parts of the 08 to look like they wore away a little faster than the rest. Hell, to go really crazy, maybe even a stain of some sort.

Just go with whatever you feel is right.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #10 on: 2010-06-29 23:22:49 »
its getting there jeff. looking good.. now back im off to work on some other op** related items...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-06-29 23:31:19 »
Keep the criticism coming, but I must tell you, that one o my goals is to make the images in ff7 sharp and crisp. No one wants blur all over their textures, if so why dont we blur the hell out of the models and see how that looks lol.

So keeping in mind that I want to stick to the original but lose any blur or low detail in the game, and replace everything with super-sharp, crisp, high detail textures to improve this game.

The problem is not that the images need to be blurred, it's that everything looks a little too clean. Midgar is polluted and dilapidated, so it makes sense that the 08 should look a little worn (NB worn =/= blurred).

There's also a loss of colour. Apart from being a departure from the original, this also goes towards creating the impression of a clean Midgar, which would be bad. Having a slight greenish-brown tinge in the backgrounds adds to the city's character and helps with the impression that it's controlled by a corporation that uses poisonous chemicals and doesn't care that it is destroying the environment.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-06-29 23:36:16 »
Good point Kudistos, it does look as if the whole scene was pressure washed moments before the crew arrives at battle lol.

Anyway here is OPAC with the 08 modified to be extra worn. Check it against the other one and see which you like best(This one looks TOO worn IMO)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-06-30 00:00:15 »
I'd say it's better than the other ones; they made it seem as if the 08 had been painted within the past few days, whereas this one makes it look older

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-06-30 00:16:27 »
I'd say it's perfect now.
Can we see a video with it?

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-06-30 00:32:17 »
Here's a screen shot of it (hope you don't mind jeff)

I say that looks pretty good.

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-06-30 00:49:09 »
Here's a screen shot of it (hope you don't mind jeff)

I say that looks pretty good.
Wow the texture of Apz Cloud with the background really blends in! :) Nice work man.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 2010-06-30 00:55:57 »
The dirt is a little noisy. You may need to fix that up.

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-06-30 01:01:10 »
Hell, just for the fun of it, lets make a comparison.

Old:

New:

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-06-30 03:28:08 »
WOW that looks amazing in the comparison. Dont worry I will touch this file up more before we release the OP series( Opac-Opai I believe) We will be releasing them all together per series, until we get a large amount done.

For those of you that dont want to wait just save image as and put it in your game!(Just remember I will make a final runthrough of this thing in photoshop to help it out.

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-06-30 03:53:04 »
The dirt is a little noisy. You may need to fix that up.

seconded.

I also feel midgar should look poluted and "green" as has been suggested.

keep up the good job guys.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-06-30 06:06:39 »
Whether you're going for clean or dirty, you don't want the texture to be smudgy:

A few other spots like this also. Check for them.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-06-30 06:46:03 »
Good eye covarr, if you will notice there are four next to each other. You pointed out the first in the series. They were artifacts left over during file conversion when sithlord48 sent it to me I believe.I tried to smudge one out and forgot to undo apparently. Do not worry, they will be fixed by the release.

I am now currently working on finalizing OPAC as well as beginning OQAC, since others are covering the rest of the OP and OR series.I expect to have a rough draft out tomorrow if all goes well and Im not too busy. I also expect some things coming in the other 2 series as well, so lets keep our fingers crossed :)

Now I only have one problem in trying to complete all the bombing mission textures.I have nowhere near the skill needed, so anyone that can take this file as a base and create a new artistic image, with the Japanese translated(does it say reactor?)will not only be a huge help to us, but to TA as well.We are translating the Japanese images to have full localization, but if anyone feels like it they can make a Japanese version so we have both.

Here is the offending file.

I do not have the artistic skill to tackle that image ATM, maybe one day. Anyone who would like to do it is welcome to and will be considered a member of the project.

I will keep this post up to date as we progress along.
Jeff

EDIT: Here is some work on OQAC

Original

New- Is the color okay with you guys or do I need to go yellow-greener? Also what do you think about the wear on the floor?

« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 07:05:44 by jeffdamann »

Mirenheart

• Pone
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-06-30 07:25:05 »
Jeff, I'm looking into translating that symbol for you.

Also, could you give us a preview of OPAC with some cracks in the ground maybe? That would really give it an old, run down look. Maybe put a little bit of green in too, like the others said.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #24 on: 2010-06-30 07:56:04 »
Here is the offending file.
cut
It simply means "1".
壱【いち】 (num) one (used in legal documents).
« Last Edit: 2010-06-30 07:58:08 by Gemini »