Author Topic: Go forth my Child, and bring me the head of Professor Hojo  (Read 2515 times)

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
I like ominous and cryptic thread names.  :D

I'm talking about a few of the messed up .p files, one of the more noticable ones being Hojo's head...Field and Battle.  Offhand, others (that I've been able to figure out what they're *supposed* to be.  There are a few whacky ones in char.lgp that have me stumped) are the Pinball machine, and the Warning Board - type enemies.

I know it's been mentioned that some models don't display correctly in the various tools, but I haven't found anything about what the problems may be.

...so, any of the more well versed fellows want to chip in what they know?

Lacking any other info, I'm thinking it *might* be related to the same problem in the HRC files that was error'ing the models with more than 9 .p files lined to any given joint.  In case no one caught that the first time I mentioned it, i'll recap;

also have a theory on why certain files don't work correctly, and why modified/created files seem to have problems being integrated into the actual game.

I'll start off with the easiest example I can think of:
Try viewing Heri2_st in Ifalna. Unless I've got some kind of unique set of errors, it shouldn't work for anyone else, either.

Open up it's HRC file in Notepad (bzhf.hrc)

Look at the Body-Root bone, and notice it's got 12(!) RSDs linked to it, and thus has a number 12 in front of the string. Replace that 12 with a single digit (It doesn't seem to matter at all; I used an 8, based off heri_st). Save it, append it, link it, and all the work needed to replace the original file with this new one, and *now* try and view it in Ifalna.

...And now it works. I used the same method on the Chocobo Wagon, and if there are any other models with more than 9 RSDs linked to a single bone, this method will probably work.

Now I'm moving into a field I'll probably have trouble explaining correctly, but here goes:
Somewhere, I think one or more of the programs are having difficulty translating the base ten system into hexidecimal. Using the above example...Instead of properly reading the correct number for the body-root bone (twelve), It's reading it as a One, and then interpeting the Two as a seperate character.

I'm not sure how widespread this problem might be, or even if I'm anywhere close to being on the right track...but if I am, then a *lot* of the translation / conversion problems you guys have might be due to the same basic problem: Reading any integer over 9 as two seperate numbers.

The reason I bring this up, is because it seems that the .p files that are showing up screwy have a large number of polys/verts in them....so it might be reading some double-digit number as two seperate ones as well?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Go forth my Child, and bring me the head of Professor Hojo
« Reply #1 on: 2002-05-16 19:14:31 »
Well...

It's quite possible my tools are interpreting the numbers only when they're single digits - but that would /only/ happen in the HRC and RSD files, because they're text. P files are binary, so the same bug wouldn't occur there. I will check Ifalna against those double-digit bugs, though.

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
Go forth my Child, and bring me the head of Professor Hojo
« Reply #2 on: 2002-05-24 19:38:21 »
Hmn.  Well, if that's not it, anyone have any other ideas?