Author Topic: FF7 Wont work  (Read 18432 times)

Eviscerate

• View Profile
FF7 Wont work
« on: 2010-03-08 03:43:10 »
I bought the official copy off ebay. I installed it on a machine with quad core phenoms with 4 gigs of ram and a nvidia geforce 7600gt 256mb.
The game starts up, then it will go full screen, then it shuts down. It don't show any screen not even the "new game" or "continue"

Also my settings are the exe 1.02 or whatever *provided on this website* and my things are marked "Nvidia, TNT" and everything says pass except for "8-bit paletted textures ---" It don't have a pass.

No mods are installed or changes, just original fresh copy of the game. Btw: I installed CD1 but it never asked me to install CD2 and CD3 and so on.

Im also running Windows vista 32bit

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 Wont work
« Reply #1 on: 2010-03-08 04:01:02 »
Just to let you know, you get an install discs, and 3 play discs.... as far as my knowledge goes. With which it goes, install, then put disc 1 in, then play til disc 2, then play til disc 3. Also, you might want to look into Aali's custom GL.

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-03-08 04:20:03 »
ok i get the concept of the play disc's which i assumed thats how it worked.

can you please direct me to "Aali's custom GL"?

EDIT:
Search results will not find the patch.... seems like a few links are broken also.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 04:34:10 by Eviscerate »

Immortal Damyn

• Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-03-08 04:38:16 »

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-03-08 04:53:36 »
I'm not asking to be spoon fed information or help. All I see is a wall of text of configuration files, that I have no idea what it is / what it does / or where it goes.

EDIT: nevermind... i found it, i dunno why i couldnt earlier
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 04:58:00 by Eviscerate »

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-03-08 05:09:48 »
I'm still having problems. It says "error could not load movie plugin" or something similar to that.

I searched the forum and it only turned up 2 similar solutions:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?action=search2;params=YWR2YW5jZWR8J3wwfCJ8YnJkfCd8NHwifHNob3dfY29tcGxldGV8J3wxfCJ8c3ViamVjdF9vbmx5fCd8fCJ8c29ydF9kaXJ8J3xkZXNjfCJ8c29ydHwnfHJlbGV2YW5jZXwifHNlYXJjaHwnfGVycm9yIGxvYWRpbmcgbW92aWUgcGx1ZyBpbg==

Also I am not sure how my openGL settings should be set.
# ff7_opengl config file

# use shaders, if available and supported
# turn shaders off to use the OpenGL 1.1 backend
use_shaders = yes

# plugins
# a movie plugin is required, the music plugin is optional, but required to make FF7Music work
movie_plugin = plugins/ffmpeg_movies.fgp
#music_plugin = plugins/ff7music.fgp

# vertex and fragment shaders
vert_source = shaders/main.vert
frag_source = shaders/main.frag

# post-processing shader, used to apply fullscreen effects
post_source = shaders/bloom2.post
enable_postprocessing = no

# display frames per second counter in upper right corner
show_fps = no

# display some real-time debug information
show_stats = no

# set the window size (and fullscreen resolution) of FF7
# 0 means use original resolution (whatever ff7.exe provides)
# preserve_aspect adds black borders as needed to preserve a 4:3 aspect ratio
window_size_x =
window_size_y =
preserve_aspect = yes
fullscreen = yes

# prevent glitches due to rounding errors by rendering in the nearest (larger, if supported)
# multiple of the original resolution and up/down-scaling
prevent_rounding_errors = yes

# check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
enable_vsync = yes

# limit snowboard, coaster and highway minigames to refresh rate / 2, i.e. 30fps for a 60hz display mode
# vsync must be enabled and working for this to have any effect
minigame_framelimiter = on

# same thing, but for the battle swirl
battleswirl_framelimiter = off

# replace FF7's default framelimiter timer source
use_new_timer = yes

# use a more stable (but less accurate) timer to control FF7's framelimiter
# this option has no effect unless the use_new_timer option is on
use_stable_timer = no

# allow FF7 to use linear filtering for its textures
# some things look slightly better with this option on, but alot of textures just lose their detail
linear_filter = off

# make all dialog boxes transparent, same effect as the transparent dialog boxes YAMP patch
transparent_dialogs = off

# expand battle viewport to cover entire screen and make the battle menu transparent
new_battle_interface = off

# enable alpha blending for textures without an existing blending effect
fancy_transparency = on

# store external textures in a compressed cache for increased performance
# compression is not lossless, some artifacts may appear when this option is in use
# texture cache does NOT update automatically if the source image changes, however, deleting anything from the cache
# will cause that file to be recreated from the source
compress_textures = yes

# read files directly instead of using LGP archives
# this option requires you to have all your LGP archives unpacked in direct/, with one folder for each archive
# for example; if FF7 is looking for aaab.rsd in char.lgp, this option will make it open direct/char/aaab.rsd instead
# this option should be used for testing only, performance will take a hit
direct_mode = off

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-03-08 11:57:43 »
@Eviscerate if it cannot load the movie plugin go to your FF7 folder and look in the folder called "plugins" to see if its there and named correctly, if it isnt install the latest version of Aali's driver again then recheck.

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-03-08 15:23:02 »
I tried that, did nothing to help the problem.

EDIT:

I tried using "openGL (broken)* settings instead of "custom driver" and then lanunched the game.
It opens up to the buster sword screen where it says "continue / new game" but the continue is greyed out and it wont let me select "new game" even if i let it sit there for like 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 16:07:32 by Eviscerate »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-03-08 16:47:55 »
do you have UAC enabled ? that could cause the problem with the plugin not being found since UAC causes alot of problems, also make sure you are running it as administrator on vista. (also if you have UAC enabled i would recommend uninstalling the game first then turning off UAC then reinstalling the game then installing Aali's custom driver 0.7.5b)

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-03-08 19:26:57 »
You might wanna make sure you have a sound device selected in FF7Config, that can make the game crash on startup.

It sounds like you don't have the right codecs to play the intro FMV.

If you're using Aali's driver, you might need a codec pack like the CCCP, else you'll need the truemotion codecs and tm20dec.ax in your system32 folder.

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 19:29:59 by titeguy3 »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-03-08 20:17:22 »
You might wanna make sure you have a sound device selected in FF7Config, that can make the game crash on startup.

It sounds like you don't have the right codecs to play the intro FMV.

If you're using Aali's driver, you might need a codec pack like the CCCP, else you'll need the truemotion codecs and tm20dec.ax in your system32 folder.

:mrgreen:

Aali uses ffmpeg to decode videos into his own player, So to sum it up it doesnt matter what codecs you have installed if you are using Aali's driver since it doesnt use external codecs it has its own built in ones. so even the truemotion codec isnt needed unless your playing without Aali's Driver (hell i dont even have it installed).

EDIT- i remember there was a previous post about codecs before and how they arnt needed.
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=8980.msg118923#msg118923
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 20:28:28 by kranmer »

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-03-08 21:57:35 »
I have all said codecs above, I had them before I installed the game and I installed the ones that came with the game also.
My UAC has been disabled since day 1 of installing vista. If its any help i got K-lite codec mega pack or something like that installed.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-03-08 22:11:22 »
ok i just tried the "openGL (broken)" setting to see what happens and it is broken (as it says in the title) but my keyboard still works on the main menu.
what key (on your keyboard) are you using to try and move on the main menu ? And are you using a laptop ? (laptops often have problems with FF7 and keys)
Also if you can try "custom driver" again and post your app.log after you have run the game and get the error it may be helpfull in telling whats wrong.

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-03-08 22:19:48 »
on "custom driver" it goes "error loading movie plugin, cannot continue"

I am using a desktop pc and i used the directional keys on the keyboard. *when using OpenGL (broken)*

LOG:
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.5b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
ERROR: could not load movie plugin: ffmpeg_movies.fgp

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-03-08 22:31:05 »
ok well FF7 uses the number pad (well mine does) like 8 on the numberpad is up etc.
and it seems very weird that your system cant find the plugin. would it be possible to post a screenshot of ur whole FF7 directory (in windows explorer if possible) and your plugins directory ?

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-03-08 22:34:52 »
« Last Edit: 2010-03-08 22:36:31 by Eviscerate »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2010-03-08 22:53:43 »
well everything looks in order (but i aint sure about the nocd patch if you have applied it already i would recommend reinstalling the offical 1.02 patch and using a non modded version)
Have you tried running FF7 by right clicking and clicking on Run as Administrator ?
also you could try a older version and see if that makes any difference (a few versions back there wasnt even a movie plugin) and then just find which versions works best for you.

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2010-03-09 00:32:27 »
I replaced the patched no-cd .exe with the 1.02 patch, Still getting same results. so I don't think that's the problem.
What .exe do you reccomend i use? I only seen 1 other .exe and it was the 1.04? i think.

Also i have tried running as administrator, like with anything else on my system i never needed to run in admin mode for anything to work properly.
I would like to thank you for all the help you put in btw.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2010-03-09 07:53:55 »
definatley do NOT use 1.04, its unoffical and causes more problems then it solves (i believe there is a thread on it somwhere on this forum). The only EXE that is suposed to be used is the offical 1.02 EXE with Aali's driver.
Anyway i am pretty much out of idea's. The last thing i can think of is try uninstalling the game, reinstalling to a different folder but one without spaces (for example C:\FF7 or somthing like that) then using a clean 1.02 EXE and Aali's driver again and seeing if that makes a difference and also check the registry settings to see if they are correct.
Anyway i think thats it for my idea's. Sorry i havent been able to help you more.

EDIT:- also 1 last idea i would recommend trying Aali's driver version 0.6.10b since that was the last version before the movie plugin was used
http://backup.ninjaloot.se/share/ff7_opengl-0.6.10b.zip
just extract that to your FF7 folder then open ff7_opengl.reg and click yes then run the game and hopefully it will work.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-09 08:23:43 by kranmer »

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2010-03-10 03:16:41 »
I wanted to say thanks for all your help and time. It works now with that newer openGL patch you posted.

But i do get a error about shaders then it goes into game fine.

INFO: Auto-detected version: 1.02 US English
INFO: OpenGL 2.0 support detected
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 640x480, output resolution 640x480, internal resolution 640x480
ERROR: failed to stat file C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\/shaders/main.vert
ERROR: failed to stat file C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\/shaders/main.frag
ERROR: failed to load shaders, reverting to fixed function
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INITIALIZING MIDI...
selecting device 0:Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, mid=1, pid=27,
midi data type: GENERAL MIDI
using midi data file: C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\Data\midi\midi.lgp
MULTIMEDIA ERROR: unspecified error in FILE C:\lib\src\sound\midi1.cpp LINE 356
midiOutGetVolume returned: ffffffff
Volume control unsupported
MIDI INITIALIZED
set music volume: 127
MIDI set master volume: 100
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
INFO: C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\Movies\eidoslogo.avi; truemotion2/pcm_u8 320x240, 15.000000 FPS, duration: 10.133333, frames: 152
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
MIDI set volume trans: 127->0; step=60
MIDI stop - OK
MIDI stop - OK
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
SET VOLUME 5: 127
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save00.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save01.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save02.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save03.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save04.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save05.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save06.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save07.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save08.ff7
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII\save/save09.ff7
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
WM_CLOSE
Field Quit
MIDI stop - OK
resetting MIDI driver volume - OK
UNINITIALIZE DD

I was kind of curious why my shaders wont work?

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2010-03-10 07:35:20 »
glad to hear you got it working. It looks like the same error as the movie plugin error, for some reason it cant seem to find the files even though they are clearly there (i am not sure if this is a software conflict or a security protocol or something but i havent ever seen anything like it before). it seems very odd.
But atleast you have it working. If you need anymore help with anything just post back here and i will see if i can help.

EDIT- i have a small idea that might fix the problem with the shaders. and if it works i may be able to make the other versions of Aali's driver work as well. Try this
http://www.mediafire.com/?wuaejkntd1q
basically all i have done is remove the directories from the config since your system has problems with them to see if that will make any difference.
« Last Edit: 2010-03-10 09:28:12 by kranmer »

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2010-03-10 20:02:13 »
Thanks i will try it out later on.

If this gives me much trouble then i will just forget about it but, I tried the "Not so hardcore mod beta version 0.1 update program" and installed it onto my "kernel.bin, kernel2.bin, and scene.bin" I disabled "write only" on all 3 files. Then applied the mod then i continued my save file *right before the first boss in the reactor* I noticed that nothing was changed at all.

This is the only reason i wanted FF7 for PC, to try a harder challenge on the game. I was confused why it didn't work seems quite a few things don't work even though everything seems in order.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2010-03-10 20:54:37 »
ok let me know how it works out.
your PC is really weird, i have never seen anything like the problems your having. I wonder if you have some weird system protection.
You could always try making a virtual machine with a different OS and run the game in that instead.
Or if you know how to use linux you could even use Wubi+Ubuntu and install wine and use that to run FF7.

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2010-03-10 21:36:40 »
I got a dual boot with ubuntu, *my laptop broke it had ubuntu* I am very familiar with wine. I suppose I could try that.
I can not get around to it just this moment, I will try it. Once again thanks for all your help.

Eviscerate

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2010-03-11 13:48:42 »
Yeah I tried that little patch you made, and I still get and error about the shaders same as before.
As for ubuntu + wine, it seems to be a no-go. It nags me about not being able to read a file from the registry then asks me to re-install FF7.  ???
Thanks for all your help, I suppose I could just enjoy the game as is.