Author Topic: New Project: Bombing Mission!  (Read 524827 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Re: New Project: Bombing Mission!
« Reply #200 on: 2010-05-24 13:59:14 »
there is a certain amount of juggling to be done, to theoretically keep us as efficient as possible. for example, millenia is a wonderful texture artist, but doesnt model characters too much. I can model just fine, but my texturing skills are so so. if millenia has not much to do, i'm best off whipping up a model to send over to him. but alas, it usually just ends up boiling down to (for me) what i feel like working on and when i have time.

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2010-05-26 02:11:30 »
Just a little experimenting

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2010-05-26 02:20:51 »
Tell me that's in game and you didn't just superimpose Cloud onto the picture.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2010-05-26 02:25:50 »
In the game

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 2010-05-26 03:02:05 »
There's some aliasing issues wherever there's layering. Is that fixable at all?

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 2010-05-26 03:07:14 »
Wow, that's clearly more 3D than the original.  Nice work, man.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2010-05-26 03:19:15 »
There's some aliasing issues wherever there's layering. Is that fixable at all?

Yeah, like i said it was just an experiment. I will have to spend a bit more time making the layers for the final version after it has been textured.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2010-05-26 05:34:14 »
Cool!
There does appear to be a bit of aliasing (not talking about the layers), but I suppose that depends on how high quality you make the final render.
Also I just noticed that the 'big pipe' is missing its ring connector thing at the bottom, or is that just being textured on?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2010-05-26 05:39:28 »
Possibly, that pipe needs to be redone anyways as i dont like how it turned out. As for the aliasing it will be gone in the final render. Like i said this was just a test

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2010-05-26 07:10:28 »
Looking at that test reminded me of how bad the 4:3 ratio is.
It's kinda sad that we won't get to see half of the good work you guys are doing, for a lot of the time spent on the field screens. :(

Would you guys consider making them widescreen?
I know that it would require a bit of imagination (to expand parts of the scene), and some tweaks from Aali, but as far as improving the look of FF7 goes, would be pretty awesome.

Example:

Original FF7 720p

Widescreen FF7 720p

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2010-05-26 07:45:13 »
It's kinda sad that we won't get to see half of the good work you guys are doing, for a lot of the time spent on the field screens. :(

I know that it would require a bit of imagination (to expand parts of the scene), and some tweaks from Aali, but as far as improving the look of FF7 goes, would be pretty awesome.

Example:

Original FF7 720p

Widescreen FF7 720p

Hmm.. I'm no good at this stuff so I can't see the difference?? Can you point it out?? How is it better??

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2010-05-26 07:50:05 »
It's not. Just made cloud look fat.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2010-05-26 08:10:15 »
Yeah that's the thing I notice whenever I use my normal widescreen without the 4:3 ratio. I wonder what he meant about the backgrounds. ???

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2010-05-26 11:08:53 »

Lol what? Cloud is exactly the same.
That's not the stretching, I photoshopped that pic as an example just to see what it would look like.

Hmm.. I'm no good at this stuff so I can't see the difference?? Can you point it out?? How is it better??

Notice all the Black on the first pic? It's not there on the second, instead there is more of the field screen. I guess it's a bad example since the right side of the field screen is black anyway lol, but look at the left.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-26 11:17:47 by Timber »

SpooX

• ah nothing really...
  • Used to be errr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2010-05-26 12:03:54 »
shouldn't the aspect ratio be altered from within the engine? :|

(see also http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6274.0)

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2010-05-26 12:10:39 »

Example:

Original FF7 720p

Widescreen FF7 720p

Interesting, are we sure Square did have plans for a widescreen version? haha

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2010-05-26 12:12:12 »

Lol what? Cloud is exactly the same.
That's not the stretching, I photoshopped that pic as an example just to see what it would look like.

Notice all the Black on the first pic? It's not there on the second, instead there is more of the field screen. I guess it's a bad example since the right side of the field screen is black anyway lol, but look at the left.
Black stuff?? You mean the black borders?? That can be altered in the .cfg. If you have a monitor that is kind of widescreen if you remove the 4:3 you will have that kind of image in the first pic. Nothing different its just stretched out more and if you remove the 4:3 aspect ratio you will have the screen stretched and Cloud will look kind of fat. But if you're talking about making the 3d backgrounds to be made specifically for widescreen then I'm sorry if just forget what I said. hehe
« Last Edit: 2010-05-26 12:13:57 by nikfrozty »

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2010-05-26 14:57:34 »

Example:

Original FF7 720p

Widescreen FF7 720p

Yeah... these are engine limitations. I bet Aali even has plans to expand the screen so we can see the whole image already, kind of like the battle menus, but different, just didn't had enough time to make it happen.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 2010-05-26 15:04:16 »
I talked with aali about htis some time ago. The short of it is that he said it'd take a lawng time to get working. the longer version is that there is debatable reason to set it up, as many field backgrounds are clipped anyways, and if they were rendered widescreen, a lot would still have cut off edges.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2010-05-26 19:06:58 »
But if you guys are remaking all the world, there won't be cliping so widescreen would work.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2010-05-26 19:10:16 »
that requires lawtsa imagination from us :P

InuRa

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2010-05-26 20:01:40 »
I talked with aali about htis some time ago. The short of it is that he said it'd take a lawng time to get working. the longer version is that there is debatable reason to set it up, as many field backgrounds are clipped anyways, and if they were rendered widescreen, a lot would still have cut off edges.
True, but that happens in many areas already, check some of the areas at Cosmo Canyon for example.
It would just make wide-screen look way better without that god awful stretching.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2010-05-27 02:35:39 »
True, but that happens in many areas already, check some of the areas at Cosmo Canyon for example.
It would just make wide-screen look way better without that god awful stretching.

Yeah in my opinion I would say that benefit would outweigh the downside of seeing cut-offs.
But it's up to Aali anyways I suppose. I wonder if he has made any progress in this area, haven't heard from him in a while.

And as for the TA redesign, just thought I should bring up the possibility before the texturing and final renders start being made.
As for imagination, well it depends on the scene I suppose. Like the above example would probably just be a simple matter of extending the bricks and walkway a bit.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2010-05-27 04:31:00 »
i'm not against the idea, it does really come down to a scene by scene basis though. Some are big enough that it would be fine, whilst some are limited not by the original render or our imagination, but by the image size, say if the background image's edge is shown (if it fades to black or is cut) I dont think we can actually make bigger background images, if you get my meaning.

jeffdamann

• The ORIGINAL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 2010-05-27 06:03:13 »
Hey I want to help you guys with the battle backgrounds for this, can't have a proper bombing mission without hi-res battle-scenes now can we?