Author Topic: About ripped models...  (Read 10665 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
About ripped models...
« on: 2009-10-07 18:33:37 »
This is mainly for halkun.

I realize the legality of ripping models that professionals have created for monetary gain is definitely not a good thing to do.  So discussing or posting about it shouldn't be allowed, got it.  No problem there.

However, I fail to see the difference between APZ and Timu (or anyone else here) making custom models and putting those in the game, and it being ok.  But taking custom models that other fans made (such as the loveless sword) is forbidden here?   I'm just not following the logic, man.   Both are made by fans.  As long as permission is given from the original creator, what's the harm/difference?

I am genuinely curious.  I don't want this to be another heated debate about how someone's feelings are hurt, but I also don't think I'm the only one with this question.

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
Re: About ripped models...
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-07 18:43:48 »
i second that.

dude, this is most excellent insight

halkun... tell us more
« Last Edit: 2009-10-07 18:47:07 by SwornEnemy »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-07 18:45:50 »
halkun tell us more?...........

That's very optimistic of you.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-07 19:36:26 »
i think as long as permission is given by the models original author, then it should be acceptable.  The only problem with that is omeone could simply say they got permission, and no one could dispute the claim.  On the other hand, a freely released custom model, while intellectual property, cannot be worth anything if it is given out for free in the first place.  I don't think a single court in America would make someone pays damages or infringment fines for porting a free model over to a different game.

Usually the original author gets a bit butt-sore about someone hijacking their work without putting their name on it.  I've been a victim of this many times over the years.  It's annoying, but in the end i did it for fun to begin with, so if more people enjoy it i still reap the satisfaction of having created it.  But it still pisses me off ;)

lee

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-10-07 21:19:33 »
I think its because your still using work that isnt your own.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 2009-10-07 22:18:55 »
..That and you lied about it. I would like as original work as possible. Just because something is publicly available does not mean it's in the public domain. Taking a work an passing it off as your own is a crummy thing to do (Which you did). It's dishonest. Especially when you claim you didn't rip it from something else when in fact you did.

===EDIT===
I know, it's a stupid rule, but I can see how ripping from other games can get out of control very quickly. I don't want to see FF7 ghettoized like some kind of mugen clone. I'm pretty sure square doesn't either.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-07 22:27:24 by halkun »

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-10-08 00:29:34 »
What about touched up files from the original game? This may directly affect my mod because i usually just touch up the original files to look good in a higher res.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-10-08 01:09:34 »
They're not from another game, you're editing them and putting them straight back into the game, nowt wrong with that, that's how it's done for most modifiable games out there.

SwornEnemy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-10-08 01:21:06 »
..That and you lied about it. I would like as original work as possible. Just because something is publicly available does not mean it's in the public domain. Taking a work an passing it off as your own is a crummy thing to do (Which you did). It's dishonest. Especially when you claim you didn't rip it from something else when in fact you did.

===EDIT===
I know, it's a stupid rule, but I can see how ripping from other games can get out of control very quickly. I don't want to see FF7 ghettoized like some kind of mugen clone. I'm pretty sure square doesn't either.

oi you! check my original post i never said that i made this model, its not ripped from any other game its a custom model made in 3dsmax, i admited the texture was probably taken from the 'custom' model made for Jedi Knights, which is still a custom model, not a ripped model, halkun u need to get ur facts straight,

and i dont think 'squaresoft' are gonna care seeing as though there 'squareenix' now,   

p.s. stop trying to boost ur posts with random crap, u f.u.c.k.i.n.g donkey raping mudab.i.t.c.h,
and u better not say anything bad bout me,,,,,,,,,,,or il stick my finger up ur ass!

Jari

« Reply #9 on: 2009-10-08 01:41:40 »

===EDIT===

oi you! check my original post i never said that i made this model, its not ripped from any other game its a custom model made in 3dsmax, i admited the texture was probably taken from the 'custom' model made for Jedi Knights, which is still a custom model, not a ripped model, halkun u need to get ur facts straight,

and i dont think 'squaresoft' are gonna care seeing as though there 'squareenix' now,    

p.s. stop trying to boost ur posts with random crap, u f.u.c.k.i.n.g donkey raping mudab.i.t.c.h,
and u better not say anything bad bout me,,,,,,,,,,,or il stick my finger up ur ass!

What. The. f***?

You really need to work on your people skills.

Your first post implies that the model is not ripped from any other game; but it is - it is a rip of a custom model made for JK3. There does not seem to be any kind of mention about permission from the original author, either.

You continued to lie about that in your following posts.

When confronted about it, it turns out that you didn't even make this - or so you claim.

And your personal attack on halkun?

You are an asshat. Not only that, but you are now banned, and this topic is closed. halkun can reopen, if he wishes, and if he wants asshat here unbanned, he can PM me about it.

EDIT: Topic re-opened - for sensible discussion - at obesebear's request. Asshat still banned.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-08 02:05:00 by El Ammo Bandito! »

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 2009-10-08 02:14:30 »
naa, it can stay closed.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-10-08 02:18:32 »
Well that's basically what I was afraid of when I made this thread.

Now then,

===EDIT===

I don't think it's a stupid rule.. only too strictly enforced.   You had no problem with the loveless sword until I pointed out that it was from Jedi Knight.  And I agree, there should be NO posting about a model that was created by someone else and ported without permission, that would bring unwanted attention and could easily start another "seifer/hermoor" incident.  SwornEnemy taking credit for it and basically lying was wrong, so yeah, his thread should be locked/removed.

I don't want to see FF7 ghettoized like some kind of mugen clone. I'm pretty sure square doesn't either.

I'm pretty sure NO ONE here does either.  I remember a while back Mike Strife posted a Dynasty Warrior he had ported, and that got almost no attention.  As long as what is ported (with permission) is kept in check, could we not just see how it goes?  Considering anyone is still willing to do it?

Jari

« Reply #12 on: 2009-10-08 02:19:56 »
naa, it can stay closed.

Well, I kinda did open it already... But your turf, you can close if you feel like it.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-10-08 02:27:13 »
Halkun can you answer my post about retouching original game files. I would like clarification before i continue any further. Thanks

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 2009-10-08 02:54:19 »
Oh, you know. Qhimm need to make those locks bigger. :P

Halkun can you answer my post about retouching original game files. I would like clarification before i continue any further. Thanks

As long as you are adding to, or making your own. I'm fine. I would like to have the integrity of the game intact as much as possible.
« Last Edit: 2009-10-08 05:35:53 by halkun »

« Reply #15 on: 2009-10-08 02:57:15 »
... and you nag us for double posting.  :-D
 :roll:

sooo... A moderator breaking the rules... that is a bad sign.
 :-P

===HAL EDIT===
What double post? :P
« Last Edit: 2009-10-08 05:36:30 by halkun »

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-10-08 03:16:23 »

As long as you are adding to, or making your own. I'm fine. I would like to have the integrity of the game intact as much as possible.

Excellent. And if you have followed the Team Avalanche mod at all you know we all want to preserve the integrity of the game.

« Reply #17 on: 2009-10-08 05:44:31 »
... and you nag us for double posting.  :-D
 :roll:

sooo... A moderator breaking the rules... that is a bad sign.
 :-P

===HAL EDIT===
What double post? :P

You son of a biscuit!!! (yes I went there!... and yes that is an insult.. :wink:)
You are clever..
 :-D

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009-10-09 20:45:46 »
Just to add to the issue of "custom models made by other people" like the Jedi models:

Public Access, as halkun put it, is the right of the user to use the file for the purpose that it was made.

IE: If it was a JK model, it can be used in JK. This does not mean there is permission to use it elsewhere.

For instance, look at gamefaqs guides, most of them are public access, but have a rule: "This file is to be displayed only on GameFAQs, and legal issues may result if it is discovered on any other site without express permission."

Public Domain means a file can be used in any form for any reason(provided it isn't used for illegal actions, such as blackmail, murder, etc.)
If, for instance, a song is public domain, it can be used as many times in as many ways as liked by the user. It could be placed in movies, on the radio, games, etc.

By default any file created (that doesn't violate a previous copyright) is copyrighted to the creator. This means that unless the author specifically states it may be used in a certain way, it is not meant to be used that way.

If I draw a picture of my character and leave it in the open on a website, that picture is still illegal to be used without my permission. (If I don't put any act of protection on it, it may or may not hold up in court, but it is still considered illegal.)

I'm not arguing with anyone, I am just trying to better explain the effect of the laws, to better exemplify what halkun is saying.(not that he needs it, I just like to keep all things clear)

ZL325

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009-11-05 19:21:25 »
what if we could make our own characters and it is not from another game does that go with the rules even if its not final fantasy maybe coming from your own ideas?

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #20 on: 2009-11-05 21:30:24 »
If you make your own characters from scratch, then that is fine. But it has to be 100% made from scratch. If you do the exact opposite, you'll be taking copyrighted material from another source, and that's bad, which could have us shut down.  :|

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #21 on: 2009-11-05 21:40:11 »
The other option is to take the materials originally included in the game and recombine them in new and exciting ways. or adding your own 100% original art to materials that are already included in the game. But never use things from other games or other peoples work(without permission) around these parts.