Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4837431 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #6075 on: 2017-08-24 01:37:30 »
I've fixed up the majority of the reported issues; here's what I've got so far:

-) Wrong triggers for Pillar in Dark Cave (game moment 1998 instead of 1620)
-) Triple AP growth missing from some weapons
-) Venus Gospel, Drain HP flag
-) KOTR attack name fix (may appear slightly off-centre; best I could do)
-) Jormungandr EXP/AP/Gil values fixed & Frog removed from attacks
-) Various text alignment problems
-) Rank Up option fixed on 3rd NPC in Temple of the Ancients

I've been looking at the Arrange bosses a bit more and I'm going to give them a quick once over before I (finally) lay the mod to rest. It'll mostly be balancing tweaks, like removing Rufus' immunity to poison or bringing in a more interesting change to them. Feedback on Arrange bosses would be appreciated.

I was also thinking about making good on an earlier promise in remixing the Materia and Equipment placements in Arrange as well. What do you think?

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
« Reply #6076 on: 2017-08-24 02:57:57 »
It should all be in the documentation folder. But here's a pastebin of the readme: https://pastebin.com/XFS5rHeF
Ah, okay - I had only downloaded the IRO, not the zip that had the documentation in it. Would it be okay for you to upload a documentation-only zip, to go with the IRO? Or would that just add one more thing to maintain, and anyone who's not as dumb as me would just download the zip for the documention?

Bowser9

• View Profile
« Reply #6077 on: 2017-08-24 03:28:42 »
Remixing the Materia and Equipment placements would be great. Freshen up resource management.

Pendulum Swing

• View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: 2017-08-24 03:39:08 »

I was also thinking about making good on an earlier promise in remixing the Materia and Equipment placements in Arrange as well. What do you think?

Do you mean making that as part of that separate patch with the increased stat changes on Materia? I loved that thing back when I played 1.35.

Also, Vincent appears in this scene even though I have yet to actually recruit him:

« Last Edit: 2017-08-24 05:20:58 by Pendulum Swing »

setafd

• View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: 2017-08-24 05:37:58 »
I'm playing 1.5 on Arrange and was honestly sad not to find under the Gold Saucer
Spoiler: show
X-ATM Scorpion when tracking down Dyne. Where'd my dude go?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6080 on: 2017-08-24 14:03:00 »
Ah, okay - I had only downloaded the IRO, not the zip that had the documentation in it. Would it be okay for you to upload a documentation-only zip, to go with the IRO? Or would that just add one more thing to maintain, and anyone who's not as dumb as me would just download the zip for the documention?

I'll put the documentation into a separate download.

Do you mean making that as part of that separate patch with the increased stat changes on Materia? I loved that thing back when I played 1.35.

Also, Vincent appears in this scene even though I have yet to actually recruit him:

I'll add a check to him there.

I'm playing 1.5 on Arrange and was honestly sad not to find under the Gold Saucer
X-ATM Scorpion when tracking down Dyne. Where'd my dude go?

Your dude has relocated from the prison to another location; you'll bump into him sooner or later.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: 2017-08-24 16:20:17 »
Patches are up.

setafd

• View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: 2017-08-24 17:18:57 »
I feel more at ease now, thank you Sega Chief

e: maybe you should edit today's date onto the headers in the OP!

FlyingPoodle

• View Profile
« Reply #6083 on: 2017-08-24 19:59:56 »
Hey SC, will you update your emergency patch to the latest version please?  I too have the "not enough disk space" error message when patching. Thanks.

MoCheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: 2017-08-24 21:22:53 »
I am by no means done the mod as I've been on a bit of a break from it, but in regards to the two major questions there, I do have some thoughts.

Materia Placement: I think by and large, it seems pretty on point. Everything that you gain, when you gain it seems fair and balanced. There were a couple of times when I was a little disappointed but that's probably due more to my play style than it is bad balance. The only real "issue" I suppose we could call it I could raise is more philosophical than anything else. I'm not even sure if this is a negative or a positive but between the Materia you get from finding new teammates and the Materia you find on the ground throughout the world, I don't think there is ever a single time in which you can buy Materia in a store that you don't already have? Again, I don't even know if I would consider this a positive or a negative, especially since this is considered a "poverty mod" as you put it, but I suppose something is lost if you never find new Materia in stores when you first arrive there? Of course if you are low on funds perpetually throughout the first Disc buying new Materia seems like a stretch to fit in there, but you could counter argue it makes what little Gil you do have on hand all the more valuable. There's a good point and counter point either way and I really don't know where I fall on this personally, and I'm sure most people don't care either, but it is something to potentially think about.

Difficulty: As I said I am not finished the 1.5 Arranged play through quite yet, so this is by no means a full picture. However, one thought has been ringing through my mind so far. Other than a few moments here and there, by and large... uhh, has the mod gotten easier since 1.4? Looking at my video times so far, the time of the fights have gone down pretty substantially almost across the board. Other than a few fights that felt the same or harder, Lich being the best example for me specifically, the bosses have felt easier this go around. I'm doubting that's because I've somehow improved my game that much from 1.4 to 1.5. I'd actually go so far as to say there have been some regular enemy encounters that I've been more threatened by compared to their boss. The bosses feel like they have less health, but they feel like they deal more damage. So what's the story here? Has this mod become easier overall? Did I really change it up that much? A combination of both? Something else? Curious about the thoughts on this one.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: 2017-08-24 22:35:01 »
Hey SC, will you update your emergency patch to the latest version please?  I too have the "not enough disk space" error message when patching. Thanks.

I'll upload them the now.

I am by no means done the mod as I've been on a bit of a break from it, but in regards to the two major questions there, I do have some thoughts.

Materia Placement: I think by and large, it seems pretty on point. Everything that you gain, when you gain it seems fair and balanced. There were a couple of times when I was a little disappointed but that's probably due more to my play style than it is bad balance. The only real "issue" I suppose we could call it I could raise is more philosophical than anything else. I'm not even sure if this is a negative or a positive but between the Materia you get from finding new teammates and the Materia you find on the ground throughout the world, I don't think there is ever a single time in which you can buy Materia in a store that you don't already have? Again, I don't even know if I would consider this a positive or a negative, especially since this is considered a "poverty mod" as you put it, but I suppose something is lost if you never find new Materia in stores when you first arrive there? Of course if you are low on funds perpetually throughout the first Disc buying new Materia seems like a stretch to fit in there, but you could counter argue it makes what little Gil you do have on hand all the more valuable. There's a good point and counter point either way and I really don't know where I fall on this personally, and I'm sure most people don't care either, but it is something to potentially think about.

Difficulty: As I said I am not finished the 1.5 Arranged play through quite yet, so this is by no means a full picture. However, one thought has been ringing through my mind so far. Other than a few moments here and there, by and large... uhh, has the mod gotten easier since 1.4? Looking at my video times so far, the time of the fights have gone down pretty substantially almost across the board. Other than a few fights that felt the same or harder, Lich being the best example for me specifically, the bosses have felt easier this go around. I'm doubting that's because I've somehow improved my game that much from 1.4 to 1.5. I'd actually go so far as to say there have been some regular enemy encounters that I've been more threatened by compared to their boss. The bosses feel like they have less health, but they feel like they deal more damage. So what's the story here? Has this mod become easier overall? Did I really change it up that much? A combination of both? Something else? Curious about the thoughts on this one.

Boss HP was dropped by a chunk before the mod went up so the fights are likely faster. If you're familiar with a boss' weaknesses beforehand as well then that'll drastically cut down the length of a fight.

Gil has become a little too liberal considering that everything has been set up to be found or comes pre-equipped + reductions in fees like the Choco Lure and Gold Saucer tickets. I'll see about changing that for arrange at least.

MoCheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: 2017-08-25 01:02:22 »
Boss HP was dropped by a chunk before the mod went up so the fights are likely faster. If you're familiar with a boss' weaknesses beforehand as well then that'll drastically cut down the length of a fight.

Gil has become a little too liberal considering that everything has been set up to be found or comes pre-equipped + reductions in fees like the Choco Lure and Gold Saucer tickets. I'll see about changing that for arrange at least.

That was a 1.4 thing reduction? Oh, well there you go then.

As for Gil, I don't think I would put it as Gil being "too liberal" rather than I would put it not having a ton to spend it on. With the way stats and Rank Up's work in this mod it's not a guarantee that you're going to rush to the Weapons store to upgrade when you hit a new town like you would in vanilla. For example, take Cloud and let's say you're going to make him a Mage in your play through. Well before you ever get out of Midgar, if you know where to look. You can have Cloud with either a Mythril Sabre which increases the Magic stat or a Hardedge that increases both defensive stats by a good chunk, a piece of armour that has sky high defenses for the start of the game in the Iron Bangle, and a Star Pendant to push his Magic higher and protect against Silence. That's pretty damn good. You won't have a ton of Materia slots or links but it won't be needed so early. Getting Materia that is powerful enough to always have on is much fewer and further between in New Threat compared to vanilla, so it's not a stretch at all to just take that Mythril Sabre/Hardedge, Iron Bangle, Star Pendant combo all the way through the first Disc alone. I did just that. It works the same for physical fighters too. My Red only changed weapons once on the entire Disc because it was more about stats than it was linked slots for Materia, because he basically only needed one link. He wasn't going to be casting anything besides the odd support spell or the Summon he was using for the linked Elemental attacks perhaps so I just looked at stats. So in the end, you're right. Between Gil not being spent on Materia and rarely on Weapons or Armours, there's not a ton to do with it. Items will always be bought off course, but other than that, yeah that's it. Adding more things to buy instead of reducing Gil amounts may not be best indeed now that it's been put that way.

I dunno, knowing this mod from 1.4 I knew to save the Gil as much as I could, so I never had troubles coming up with anything if I truly needed it. Arranged is certainly geared towards the experienced NT player, so you could reduce Gil amounts a little if you wanted. I suppose I just miss the feeling of hitting a new town and seeing what it has. "Kid in a candy store" type deal, you know?

MoCheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6087 on: 2017-08-26 11:39:28 »
Sorry for the double post but I figured someone would've said something in the day or two since I last messaged. Anyways I've got a ton of bugs and questions and all that to put down here. Most of it involves Dark Cave and most of them are smaller "nitpicky" types. The second and fourth reports are pretty serious though and will need to be addressed. I will put all of this behind spoilers just in case:

- The first save point in Dark Cave, I'm talking about the one in the reactor. The save isn't an NT extended save with all the options and a window shows up over the escape timer that doesn't go away until a screen change. Also, is the escape timer supposed to be stuck at 00:00 and show up as soon as you take the elevator down? The time never changes either.

- After defeating Amalgam you can actually go right back up the stairs and do it again! The fencing door isn't "actually" there though it's visibly there. I went up there with another Red and yes, I fought Amalgam again with two Nanaki's!(though I could only control one)

- The Save point in Wall Market is also not an extended NT save point.

- This one will be quite confusing so apologies but this one could be very important. For some reason Tifa has been locked to my team for the entirety of Dark Cave. At no point would it let me switch her out for someone else. And now that I finished Dark Cave and I'm outside in the World again, it's still doing it. Whenever I'm on the world map it won't let me bring her in or out. Finally after going back to the Highwind and talking to the leader switcher NPC did he let me remove her but getting Tifa out of the group only works here. I don't know why but one works and the other doesn't. I think it's again something to do with entering Dark Cave with someone other than Cloud as leader because I did that again this time. Though I don't know why she was locked as I haven't used her this playthrough. So to recap. If Tifa leads, I can PHS everyone but Cloud into the group on the World Map and anyone into the group on the Highwind. However if Cid leads I cannot PHS Cloud OR Tifa into the party on the World Map but can do either on the Highwind. No problems anywhere with Cloud as lead though.

- After beating Masked Man and leaving that screen then going back to where you fought him, it plays the Aeris' Church music instead of that panic music or whatever it is.

- The save point right outside that little town that has Aeris' house is also not an extended NT save point.

- The save point outside the Shinra HQ is also not an extended NT save point.

- The same bug with the Turtle's Paradise poster in the Shina HQ happens again. This time though it's even more broken as the " .-. " message is also trying to display.

- The save point on floor 59 in the Shina HQ is also not an extended NT save point.

- Floor 59 and the Item Shop on Floor 2 have the regular Shina HQ music playing. With the way Dark Cave is now I don't think that's intentional.

- On Floor 64 one of the NPC's is still there. The guy on the treadmill "trying to get rid of his love handles".

- The save point on Floor 64 in the Shinra HQ is also not an extended NT save point.

- On Floor 66 there's the effect of the NPC's still going through the door's and being "in the way" so to speak. The door's will turn white indicating someone is there and I got caught behind a ghost NPC for a moment. Cool effect if intentional, a bug of some sorts if not.

- Cloud can interact with the Jenova pod saying the same thing he does on Disc 1. "Jenova... Did it get away...?"

- The save point on Floor 67 in the Shinra HQ is also not an extended NT save point.

- I think the Hojo's need a buff, they were way too weak to be any real threat. Masked Man too though a lesser one.

- The save point on Floor 69 is also not an extended NT save point. (I'm starting to wonder if that was the point or if the two or three NT Extended saves are the bug ???)

- After Mirage dies, and the screen switches back to the President's office, Cloud and Tifa were missing as they should be but Red was still there. Not sure if this works for other characters or if they were in a different order things would change, but there ya go.

- In the Respectable Inn the NT tutorial guy still talks about the level 70 cap and "Scorp back there" and Long Range and Plus materias not being in the mod anymore. Kinda funny when the guy right beside him is where you go to get said Plus materia that's now there.

When you are selecting a League in Junon League, if you manually select the Cancel option, the Trooper says "That League isn't available yet" and forces you to make another selection. The only way to escape the menu is to select a League then say "No" on confirmation.

- I finished a Fighter League and when Wave 2 was over, no screen came up telling me I had won or lost and just took me back to the Inn. I am guessing it was because there was a tie but it didn't say anything? Not sure

- When you defeat "Gun" Tseng's death line appears: "Ugh... I got careless..." or something to that effect.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: 2017-08-26 14:41:30 »
The party lock thing is to prevent an issue that can occur when swapping Cloud, Tifa, and Cid in and out of the party while on the World Map. You might have noticed that it's not party leader who determines which model appears on the world map, instead it's done by some kind of priority system. Cloud has highest priority, then Tifa, then Cid.

If you go into the party menu with Tifa or Cid as party leader, PHS in Cloud, and then save the game without leaving the menu you'll load that save to find yourself stuck in the middle of the ocean. I think this is because Cloud's model (and other models that aren't being used like the Tony Bronco + Buggy) is placed at 0,0 (and made invisible) when he is not in the party for the world map, but swapping him in and then saving during the menu means the game can't update his position to the world map as it's a separate module so when it loads the save it just sees Cloud's position as 0,0 and puts you there.

But yeah, that's why Cloud and Tifa get locked in PHS when you make a new party leader. It's to stop that issue from occurring. It's annoying, but there it is. Dark Cave I think forces party leader to be Cloud but does't update the PHS locks. That's maybe why you weren't able to swap Tifa out.

I still don't understand what you mean with this turtle poster. It loads the text fine when I check it.

MoCheese

• View Profile
« Reply #6089 on: 2017-08-26 20:50:04 »
I didn't actually check that honestly. It was getting late and I was still miffed wondering why I was ever locked to Tifa in Dark Cave and couldn't fix that unless it was on the Highwind. At least that part was intended.

I still don't understand what you mean with this turtle poster. It loads the text fine when I check it.

Ok, so when walk near the poster, another poster on the other side of the bulletin board automatically shows up. If I remember correctly it says something about "Shinra Inc!" you don't have to click anything for the text box to appear, it just does if you're close enough. While that first box is still open, if you then go examine the Turtle's Paradise poster while the first text window is still open, both text boxes will screw up and start looking all jumbled.

I'll send you a link to a quick 30 second clip of it as a PM so you can visually see what I am referring to. And yes, it did this on Disc 1, 2, and in Dark Cave. Though as I mentioned the Dark Cave one was a little more wiggy because of the ._. replacement message on the Turtle's Paradise flyer.

ComradeDroog

• View Profile
« Reply #6090 on: 2017-08-27 00:17:16 »
I'm stuck in the dark cave :( here's what happens:

After I defeat Mirage at the top of Shinra tower in the room the president is in, my entire party is teleported to the end of the Ancient Forest, the room with the dead guy in it. I can't leave here, because my chocobo and highwind are parked outside the bone village. I don't think this is where I'm supposed to end up. Also, there was no cutscene after the fight explaining what that was all about or what is going on, so I assume this is a quest breaking bug that is sending me to the wrong area after the fight. Help me Sega Chief, you're my only hope.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: 2017-08-27 02:02:55 »
I'm stuck in the dark cave :( here's what happens:

After I defeat Mirage at the top of Shinra tower in the room the president is in, my entire party is teleported to the end of the Ancient Forest, the room with the dead guy in it. I can't leave here, because my chocobo and highwind are parked outside the bone village. I don't think this is where I'm supposed to end up. Also, there was no cutscene after the fight explaining what that was all about or what is going on, so I assume this is a quest breaking bug that is sending me to the wrong area after the fight. Help me Sega Chief, you're my only hope.

My plan was to make that cave the one you go into from Bone Village, rather than the last screen of the Ancient Forest (there's evidence that this was the dev's plan at some stage) but it seems that the jump flags aren't carrying across.

I suspect that this may be due to the way the IRO is chunked. If the walkmesh data is stored separately, then that would mean it'd be using the original jumps instead of the adjusted ones while the direct patch does have it due to using the whole flevel.

So what I'll need to do is add a field script using a line group rather than the walkmesh stuff. Did you save outside Ancient Forest or still got a save before Mirage?

ComradeDroog

• View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: 2017-08-27 04:06:51 »
I have a save right before I fight Mirage, a save at the start of the Dark Cave sidequest, but my last save before that is like 25 hours of gameplay ago. So I'm kinda stuck in the cave atm, lol.

Is there supposed to be a cutscene or something after the fight explaining what's going on? Because I have no idea who I am fighting or why I'm there, but I wasn't sure if that was intentional. Creepy atmosphere, though, really love the whole dark spin on earlier events thing :)

Sac Moldave

• View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: 2017-08-27 14:08:28 »
Hi ! I'm sorry to bother you (mostly if you answered it already) but i met a problem at the very beginning of the disc 2. The red EXP bar just exceed the end without any level up and the exp needed to level up is very huge... I precize that I play on the latest version (1.5) and on the steam version of the game.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: 2017-08-27 21:04:01 »
I have a save right before I fight Mirage, a save at the start of the Dark Cave sidequest, but my last save before that is like 25 hours of gameplay ago. So I'm kinda stuck in the cave atm, lol.

Is there supposed to be a cutscene or something after the fight explaining what's going on? Because I have no idea who I am fighting or why I'm there, but I wasn't sure if that was intentional. Creepy atmosphere, though, really love the whole dark spin on earlier events thing :)

OK, I'll sort something out to get you out of there.

Hi ! I'm sorry to bother you (mostly if you answered it already) but i met a problem at the very beginning of the disc 2. The red EXP bar just exceed the end without any level up and the exp needed to level up is very huge... I precize that I play on the latest version (1.5) and on the steam version of the game.

Sounds like either the kernel has changed or a save file has been used where the NT kernel was not in use. The issue (should) correct itself when leveling up once but the only way that could have happened is if the kernel changed. Did you use a non-NT save file? If you are using an NT save file, then I'd try reinstalling the mod just to be safe.

I.C_UrbanTech

• View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: 2017-08-27 22:57:42 »
I just reached Disk three and I have not descended to the bottom of the north crater yet. Instead I thought to explorer the world map and I find in Karm, Elmyra Gainsborough. Is she meant to be positioned there? I can't talk to her.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: 2017-08-27 23:08:14 »
She's usually up on the wall near the shops; I guess it's an oddity with the script trigger that she's visible but not placed yet. I'll sort it out.

littlemac

• View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: 2017-08-28 02:33:03 »
I had a save using the April IRO file and just saw that the new version was out. So I imported the IRO and started the game. I had just finished the Gold Saucer and went to go look at some savepoints to Rank Up. However, the enhanced menu at savepoints seems to not be activating - I'm just getting the message to access the menu to save my game. What could I have done wrong? This happened at the save point in Mt. Corel and the Gold Saucer save point which charged me GP. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Found the problem. I imported from folder instead of from IRO Archive. Sorry! :)
« Last Edit: 2017-08-28 02:42:16 by littlemac »

Pendulum Swing

• View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: 2017-08-28 14:25:32 »
Are there special requirements to trigger the fight in the cave of the Glacier? I keep talking to the NPC and get the "Please, that's enough" text after a few other variations but couldn't get a boss fight to start at all.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: 2017-08-28 16:02:39 »
Are there special requirements to trigger the fight in the cave of the Glacier? I keep talking to the NPC and get the "Please, that's enough" text after a few other variations but couldn't get a boss fight to start at all.

You need to have visited and examined the Hot Spring: http://www.gamerguides.com/assets/media/ffvii/walkthrough-disc-2/reunion/the-great-glacier/w1600h1600/115481-1441148400-png.png

When you approach the water, there a prompt should appear.