Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7.2)  (Read 1079203 times)

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.6s)
« Reply #1875 on: 2018-03-15 11:14:29 »
The buster sword has it's power increased the more kills Cloud has (same as death penalty). In order to get the damage to a decent level in the beginning I increased the kill count. But you achieve limits normally.

KittyJaws

• Person who isn't a person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: 2018-03-15 16:45:07 »
So then i guess i should just mod in the limits, sense i'm over half the way to limit level 3, but haven't gotten level 2

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1877 on: 2018-03-19 07:45:16 »
So then i guess i should just mod in the limits, sense i'm over half the way to limit level 3, but haven't gotten level 2

Not sure what you mean here. You should have enough kills for level 3 but haven't got level 2 yet?
Since another person on Youtube reported the same thing (ish) I got a bit worried. What I did now was applying the patch to a vanilla steam install and the limits progress normally. In other words, I can't reproduce that bug (if it is a bug).

How did you patch the game? Was it with my patch application or another way? Did you patch the game and started from a save game? If you start from a save game Cloud's limit progression will be screwed. :P

EDIT:
Hi, i've been playing the mod and i checked on black chocobo and cloud currently has 270 kills, yet is stuck with his level one limit breaks. Have you changed the amount of kills it takes for cloud to get a limit level up, or have i broken cloud?

If you start a new game with this mod, Cloud should have 760 kills from the start.
« Last Edit: 2018-03-19 07:47:26 by gjoerulv »

KittyJaws

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: 2018-03-20 01:03:56 »
My game lost all its data when i installed new threat mod, and when i beat that mod i installed The hardcore mod without deleting my past data. So what i have right now are some NewThreat mod files in case i feel like revisiting the mod, along with my saves from this game. I also want to say that i didn't combine these two mods, and there seem to be 0 remnants left from new threat except of coarse the save files, and the names of certain custom magic such as pearl from new threat mod, but it is  shown in game as the normal spell names, and i can only see the old magic names from the Wall market application that can be used to change what certain spells cast (I havn't saved anything i have changed on that application either.) I used the patcher thingy that has that loading bar, and i started a new save file for this game. Now i feel like mabye i screwed something up with black chocobo idk

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1879 on: 2018-03-20 20:55:33 »
It sounds like you haven't done anything that could screw up Clouds limits when starting a new game (by "starting a new save" I assume you mean new game?).

Only ways I can think of atm that can make this happen are:

1) You patched the game with the application (the one you download from 1st post in this thread), and loaded a savefile instead of starting a new game.
2) You started a new game, then patched kernel.bin before achieving any new limit levels with Cloud.

In any case, if you use Black Chocobo set Cloud's kills to about 1080. That should make you close to 3rd level. Or just simply give yourself the limits.

Another sign that Cloud has too few kills as you start a New Game is that he does very littly damage with his Buster Sword (assuming you patched kernel.bin, but if that is the case non od this should have happened on New Game).

But don't feel bad about using Black Chocobo at this point, as something apparently went wrong.  8)
« Last Edit: 2018-03-20 20:58:00 by gjoerulv »

peepo2399

• i'm super cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: 2018-03-21 15:59:27 »
is there like a text file or google doc of all of the changes (and additions) made for this mod? like a list of new enemies/bosses, any changes in the percentage of items drops or just changes of drops in general, what materia have been renamed or changed, what materia have different AP amounts to master, etc etc. I tried looking at the info box that came with the installer but for one, it crashes 87% of the time I try to open it (which is probably an issue with my garbage computer), and it didn't really answer all of the questions that I had.

I'm not sure how much of this stuff can be answered y'know, for like spoiler reasons, but if there are things that can be answered I'd be very happy

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1881 on: 2018-03-27 16:50:49 »
This mod is close to the original FF7 when it comes to drops and steals. Any enemy editor should work fine as drop/steal documentation. For example Hojo v 1.1 or Proud Clod. However, this wont work if you use 7heaven as the editors reads file from disc while 7H is memoru injection.
All the "big secrets" are on New bosses.

peepo2399

• i'm super cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: 2018-03-27 17:05:24 »
This mod is close to the original FF7 when it comes to drops and steals. Any enemy editor should work fine as drop/steal documentation. For example Hojo v 1.1 or Proud Clod. However, this wont work if you use 7heaven as the editors reads file from disc while 7H is memoru injection.
All the "big secrets" are on New bosses.
Ah alright thank you very much!

KittyJaws

• View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: 2018-03-30 07:31:47 »
So I was grinding for diamond weapon, and seeing how hard the fight looked i decided to see if i could handle any materia caves... I tried the desert materia cave for hp<->mp and the boss was incredibly impossible to beat at that point in the game for me, but then i realized when i tried to run no message came up, but i could never run away. I then flew to rocket town, bought exit materia, tried it in the battle, and it worked. I got the mega-all and hp<->mp materia, without even needing to fight the boss. Is this a glich?
« Last Edit: 2018-03-30 08:00:45 by KittyJaws »

Osprey

• View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: 2018-03-31 22:24:07 »
Hi, thank you for a great mod! I like that there is this huge variety in difficulty throughout the game. Nothing feels generic. :) I also appreciate the many surprises. I have stayed away from the forum until now, because of potential spoilers. I am at the exact same point in the game as KittyJaws. And the "Exit" materia trick/glitch? works for me too. But only in this particular cave. I also have a question regarding "Guidebook". Is it obtainable from the "Ghost ship"? I tried morphing it by calculating its health by casting poison and multiplying it by 32. However, the enemy seems to "die spontaneously" when its close to 0 HP.(no poison) Not letting me morph it. Am i doing something wrong? So I temporarily turned of HC mod and got the item, and turned it back on. Until i know it is obtainable. I am planning on kicking Emeralds &%* the long way. :)   
« Last Edit: 2018-04-01 15:54:05 by Osprey »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1885 on: 2018-04-01 15:39:58 »
So I was grinding for diamond weapon, and seeing how hard the fight looked i decided to see if i could handle any materia caves... I tried the desert materia cave for hp<->mp and the boss was incredibly impossible to beat at that point in the game for me, but then i realized when i tried to run no message came up, but i could never run away. I then flew to rocket town, bought exit materia, tried it in the battle, and it worked. I got the mega-all and hp<->mp materia, without even needing to fight the boss. Is this a glich?

Yes, it is not intentional, aka bug, but I left it in just for the lols after I found out. But the boss should be beatable. All the materia cave bosses are beatable before Diamond. They require some planning and strategy is all, but there are ways of defeating them very early if you find the right strat.

Raoulduke

• View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: 2018-08-04 18:54:59 »
Eidt: After writing this I realised what the problem was, I don't see a way to delete this message.
« Last Edit: 2018-08-04 19:18:22 by Raoulduke »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] gjoerulv's "Hardcore" mod (v1.0.7)
« Reply #1887 on: 2018-08-30 22:52:44 »
Ok, after a million years there is finally an update. Unless there are serious bugs this will most likely be the final update. (kernel2.bin contains more text but got noticeably smaller for some reason; kinda worried. :P )

A new mod is in this time. Nothing much really. It's called the FF7 MonoMod. Yes I know, name sucks but who cares.
Party starts at level 1. Base stats never exceeds 1. HP and MP starts very low (10 :O) and maxes out at level 30 (or was it 31). Max HP base is 270, max MP is 90.
The game starts you off with most accessories, materias and armors too.

Again, nothing much, and it's not intended to be a hard mod. So if you have nothing better to do, what are you waiting for?
Keep in mind that you should patch on original files. If my patch application was used to make backups it should be enough to restore all oldest backups before patching.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: 2018-08-31 01:25:29 »
Ok, after a million years there is finally an update. Unless there are serious bugs this will most likely be the final update. (kernel2.bin contains more text but got noticeably smaller for some reason; kinda worried. :P )

A new mod is in this time. Nothing much really. It's called the FF7 MonoMod. Yes I know, name sucks but who cares.
Party starts at level 1. Base stats never exceeds 1. HP and MP starts very low (10 :O) and maxes out at level 30 (or was it 31). Max HP base is 270, max MP is 90.
The game starts you off with most accessories, materias and armors too.

Again, nothing much, and it's not intended to be a hard mod. So if you have nothing better to do, what are you waiting for?
Keep in mind that you should patch on original files. If my patch application was used to make backups it should be enough to restore all oldest backups before patching.

Given the monomod a whirl and through the first reactor; having 1 in every stat makes the fights a lot different, and even having the maxed equipment isn't a guarantee of success. Had a few close shaves here and there; Guard Scorpion was still managing to deal damage through a Ziedrich, Protect Ring, and Defend command to a front row Cloud.

Doing a screenshot LP of it on the NGPlus form, if interested in keeping tabs on it: http://ngplus.net/index.php?/forums/topic/786-ff7-monomod-by-gjoerulv-screenshot-lp/

One thing as well, I don't know if it was because I was juggling files between data folders but the kernel wasn't synched with a default scene. If your installer patches the scene.bin though, then it means I must have messed up when moving files over.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1889 on: 2018-08-31 13:08:11 »
  :-D Nice screenshots!

The kernel should be compatible with normal scene, but I'll take a quick check.

EDIT: Yup, they are compatible as far as I can tell. Tried first without the patch (copy paste original scene and moded kernel), and after with the patch (patch on original files). The byte-order is identical in both cases. I'm always worried on new releases 'cause I somehow always screw something up lol, but please let me know if something is wrong. I'll do another check now just for fun :P.
« Last Edit: 2018-08-31 13:33:37 by gjoerulv »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: 2018-08-31 15:38:43 »
 I think Trifa would have been a better name then Dolby.  ;D

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1891 on: 2018-08-31 17:43:50 »
I think Trifa would have been a better name then Dolby.  ;D

Haha, ye, I didn't notice the names. Hilarious xD. As expected of sega.

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: 2018-09-01 01:05:46 »
Im have an issue setting up Monomod. I run the patch under the original option and it patches. But the kernel that it gives me causes the exe to freeze on launch. I did a fresh install of ff7 and set up 7th heaven again from scratch to make sure that I hadnt messed it up somehow but even on a clean starting file the kernel does not work. Any Ideas?

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1893 on: 2018-09-01 03:32:15 »
Im have an issue setting up Monomod. I run the patch under the original option and it patches. But the kernel that it gives me causes the exe to freeze on launch. I did a fresh install of ff7 and set up 7th heaven again from scratch to make sure that I hadnt messed it up somehow but even on a clean starting file the kernel does not work. Any Ideas?

Sounds scary. What language you patch? Can you confirm that if you, for instance, replace the patched kernel with original kernel the game works? If not can you email me the patched kernel?

The application (patch) also changes the .exe, but only if a certain byte order is found.

Edit: The files used for this mod are not used by 7H because they are very recent.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-01 04:05:13 by gjoerulv »

KittyJaws

• View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: 2018-09-06 03:20:26 »
Monomod seems really fun so far!

Edit: made my way out of midgar, and i love everything except for the fact that W-item almost completely renders most magic usless, because you can use 2 items per turn, that can either heal for 100+, revive a character, or use grenades dealing way more than magic, without the limitation of low mp.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-16 07:40:32 by KittyJaws »

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #1895 on: 2018-09-18 13:35:58 »
... i love everything except for the fact that W-item almost completely renders most magic usless, because you can use 2 items per turn, that can either heal for 100+, revive a character, or use grenades dealing way more than magic, without the limitation of low mp.

Yeah, the lower tier materias such as restore, fire, etc. are completely useless. I choose to view this mod as a "find-your-own-challenge" of sorts (example: no items, initial weapons only, ...), as there are -in many/most cases- at least one way to render any fight trivial.

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: 2018-11-04 16:13:14 »
So after more than a 1 year break, I decided to finally complete my playthrough. Went well so far, I beat Omega and the Weapons, and Jenova as well. Now I am stuck at Bizarro. I did not have a Game Over per se, but before I will be caught in a X-hours-long battle loop for nothing, I want to ask inbefore:

So normally after killing the Magics (arms), you can hurt the core. I fought Bizarro in Gjoerulv's mod three times so far - and whenever I killed the arms, the core was still immune to damage. I tried both orders (first killing the left, and the next time first killing the right), but everytime I was only able to attack the stomach or the head (whenever it revived). I tried physical damage, and magical (even Pandora's Box) So - was the order changed? Or did I do something wrong? I have found a youtube video of Sega Chief fighting Bizarro on Gjoerulv's mod- on his battle, I saw that after he killed the arms, he was able to deal damage to the core. It was uploaded 2013, so idk, maybe Gjoerulv actually changed this one again.

Can someone please tell me what to do / if I missed something? I really do not want to continue a tedious battle for hours only to find out that I either missed something, or if I just did it for nothing if it's a bug. Thank you.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-04 16:21:31 by soku »

UpRisen

• Again... AVALANCHE is born again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: 2018-11-05 23:59:03 »
you have to kill the 2 sides before you can kill the middle. When it gives your the first chance to switch, take it and make sure you kill all of the parts before shifting to the third team, then repeat with them.. this is your 2 man squad so better be ready to DPS the strawberries out of him. Then when you swithc back to the original squad again you will be able to damage the core and win the fight.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: 2018-11-06 21:29:34 »
So after more than a 1 year break, I decided to finally complete my playthrough. Went well so far, I beat Omega and the Weapons, and Jenova as well. Now I am stuck at Bizarro. I did not have a Game Over per se, but before I will be caught in a X-hours-long battle loop for nothing, I want to ask inbefore:

So normally after killing the Magics (arms), you can hurt the core. I fought Bizarro in Gjoerulv's mod three times so far - and whenever I killed the arms, the core was still immune to damage. I tried both orders (first killing the left, and the next time first killing the right), but everytime I was only able to attack the stomach or the head (whenever it revived). I tried physical damage, and magical (even Pandora's Box) So - was the order changed? Or did I do something wrong? I have found a youtube video of Sega Chief fighting Bizarro on Gjoerulv's mod- on his battle, I saw that after he killed the arms, he was able to deal damage to the core. It was uploaded 2013, so idk, maybe Gjoerulv actually changed this one again.

Can someone please tell me what to do / if I missed something? I really do not want to continue a tedious battle for hours only to find out that I either missed something, or if I just did it for nothing if it's a bug. Thank you.

It depends if you get a 1, 2, or 3 party battle. If you get a 1-party fight then you can just kill the parts and expose the core, but if multiple parties are involved then you instead have to swap teams to destroy their side of the Core before Team A's core becomes exposed.

2-Party Fight
-) Kill a body part (head is fastest, but arms will stay dead when killed and need to die anyway). Swap teams when prompted.
-) Team 2 needs to kill all their body parts to make their side of the Core damageable; kill the Core here, and then swap back to Party A
-) Party A now needs to kill the arms (and possibly the head if it revives) to get damage down on the Core. Once the Core is down, you're free to damage the torso but beware; the less limbs Bizarro has, the more he'll start to spam-cast his physical attack which ignores defence, hits the party, is non-elemental, and has a high chance to crit due to Bizz's luck stat.

3-Party Fight
-) The most complex, you need to kill 3 Cores and one of your teams has only 2 people on it. This team will need to be reasonably equipped in order to deal with their side.
-) For Team B and C, you're only dealing with one arm but this arm has 2 parts to it so watch out for that. Also, if the head revives then it makes the core immune again; I can't remember exactly but I think the arm itself for these two teams may also revive so timing may be needed. Try to save your big burst for when that core-side is exposed; if you need to reset summon uses, swap teams and re-attempt.
-) When you've killed the Core sides for B and C, it's back to team A to do what you'd usually do; kill the arms, the core, then torso. The 3-party fight can last a long time if you get locked into attrition with parts reviving before you can get decent damage down on the core-side so be prepared.

If any of your teams are struggling then you can use the Hades summon to apply the dual-drain status (or Flare spell); this'll greatly speed up the battle. If you want to get the most straightforward battle of 1-party, then you'll need to let Jenova Synthesis get 13 turns before Countdown is initiated (unless the AI here was changed). You can also make Bizarro + Safer weaker in terms of HP if you avoid using KOTR in the Jenova Synthesis battle.

soku

• View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: 2018-11-07 18:57:16 »
Thank you for your answers. I had a 3 party fight after all, but that wasn't too hard. Also I updated the game before I took on the superbosses, so Bizzaro's attack wasn't ignoring defense anymore. So I beat the mod... and I would have written a proper review if I haven't took the uber long break. So I can't remember too well to write a rewiev. But all I can tell is that I had fun, it was a very entertaining mod, thanks for that.
Well, in fact, I still remembered one thing that bugged me a little: the balance between the characters. Just like in vanilla FF7, in the end game Cid (only one with 5 materia double grown, AND possibility to triple growth), Barret (By no question the best and most consistent final weapon) and Yuffie (consistent final weapon - kinda must use to farm sources) outshadow every other character. Tifa has still has a bad weapon and not a very good limit break, Vincent has a bad weapon (for everyone who doesn't have a lifetime to spend killing so many enemies to make death penalty somewhat useful) and the worst limit break, Cait Sith... well, either his limit break is bad, or broken, depending on if you want to / can manipulate the reels.

So changing Limit Breaks would be too much to ask for, I admit. But at least Weapons can be rebalanced. Many weapons which had little to no use in Vanilla still suffer the same fate.

This is the only sort of negative thing I remember. Thank you gjoerulv for this mod.

Sega Chief, I'm gonna play your NT next, whenever I have the time!