Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3026584 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt1ECbXCS70&t=1m18s

The Reunion (R06e)

Download link Here

--Note that \The_Reunion\BASE folder is always deleted on install. If you have anything saved there that you need, please backup before running the installer.

Please also read read The Reunion - Help.rtf.  For R06f, I'll have made a better tutorial video and hopefully created a front end for the options.

Code: [Select]
LATEST CHANGES
19-Apr-2020

Please see The Reunion Database for a full list of bug fixes.

Main changes:

1. The game will no longer crash at Niblheim when using Beacause
2. Additional checks made on executable integrity and which one is loaded. See The_Reunion.log in [root] folder.
3. Major memory leak causing random crashes resolved.  New Audio.log code.
4. A change to the balance, volume, or tempo no longer fails if a transition is in progress
5. The help menu will no longer flash when When Battle_Key_Press = y.
6. Airbuster bug with the direction it's facing has been recoded by Sega Chief.
7. The magic sub menu (when using restorative magic) now displays the name of the character in the middle slot.
8. The naming screen no longer accepts entry from the keyboard keys, which previously caused a major conflict.
9. When using Beacause, the game no longer has parts or discs - the disc change screen is abolished.

Still to-do

1. The finalization of Beacause with correct window positioning (for R07).
2. Finish new submarine minigame.
3. Soldier Quest (for R07).
4. Resume work on main Weapon code.
5. Chocobo Races needs updated chocobo avatars.
6. Address various bugs - especially the broken camera with 60fps Battles  - Mode 2 (Interpolated).
7. A front end for the options
8. Look into a way of dealing with the save location and sharing of save files between 1998 version/The Reunion and Steam.
9. Fix Cloud to display a sword in Aerith's house when on the bed and correctly animate.
10. Look into supporting more functions and buttons on joypads.
11. Add sword to Cloud in various scenes that were missed by accident in the original game.

I would very much appreciate it if people helped me seed and test the current download :)

Full download mirrors are also appreciated.

Note:

If your keyboard does not have a numpad / cannot detect the numpad, please delete ff7input.cfg from the root folder prior to loading the game for the first time.

Once ff7input.cfg is deleted, the default keys will be:

Circle / Confirm:  L
          X / Cancel:        M
          Triangle / Menu:   P
          Square / Switch:   J
          L1 / Scroll up:    2
          R1 / Scroll down:  8
          L2 / Camera:       4
          R2 / Target:       0
          Select / Assist:   Backspace
          Start / Pause:     Enter
          Up:                W
          Down:              S
          Left:              A
          Right:             D

Please set new keys and controls from the main game's Config submenu (Controls > Customize).

« Last Edit: 2020-04-20 00:30:48 by DLPB »

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
so we should leave the audio_log_level alone after ro6e installation, correct?

EDIT: just making sure... :)
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20 01:42:07 by Orichalcon »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The bug is resolved, so yeah.

usb

• View Profile
new translation r06e, gaiin_6
cloud sword code is incomplete: it appears a second cloud with sword in wrong position

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Yeah - I saved Makou there and wasn't meant to.  Is it at least passable? That's very annoying.

usb

• View Profile
Yeah - I saved Makou there and wasn't meant to.  Is it at least passable? That's very annoying.

no crash, no freeze or stuck in the cave. You can exit or re-enter at the bottom of the cave and you'll never be blocked, you just need to avoid the second cloud  ;D
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20 15:47:32 by usb »

Agravaile

• View Profile
Is it possible to bring the healing menu to "Menu Enhancement" in some way? I think that using a menu like that is a bit more intuitive than relying on the pointer that sometimes get's super weird with changing directions with the camera placement. Maybe a hext of some sorts?

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/e293/l7dmlkhfeuc8uzzzg.jpg
« Last Edit: 2020-04-20 12:57:00 by Agravaile »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Not a priority atm - and won't be for a long time.  Got way too much to do.  Not sure the benefits outweigh the time and effort either.  You can press Switch to see HP MP amounts.

Agravaile

• View Profile
Oh, but it's not impossible, right? Priority is not for me to decide, so it all depends on you, obviously. Hopefully some day it'll be implented though, i think it's a nice detail to the UI. But glad to know it's a least a possibility, and that means there's hope to expect it in future releases.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Nearly everything is possible - the question is gain v effort.

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
Just checking in with this thread. I played version RO5C and really enjoyed it. DLPB's efforts are greatly appreciated. I was very interested in playing again when the SOLDIER QUEST mod was added. Does anyone know when the SOLDIER QUEST will be added? Also, has the BECAUSE mod been finalized in RO6E or are there still changes being made to the dialogue in future versions? Then, lastly, does anyone one know what will be the final version? Thanks in advance.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
See the help file.

PrincessMJ

• View Profile
Thanks! Looking forward to RO7!

deku

• View Profile
Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for all the work that has been done for this mod.  I just recently began playing through FF7 for the first time since it originally was released and the Reunion mod has made it such a great experience.

I have the steam version of the game and had installed R06d.  I had performed a standard installation and had enabled the new models via the Options.ini file.  Everything was working great until I visited Nibelheim for the first time via the buggy.  The game appeared to be loading a cut scene and froze when I entered Nibelheim.  Since this occurred, if I attempt to launch Final Fantasy 7 it fails to launch and gives me an alert box that states "failed to open log file".  I have tried to completely uninstall Final Fantasy 7 and the Reunion.  I do this by removing all Reunion files from the Final Fantasy installation directory in steam.  I then uninstall the game from the steam console and make sure to remove any remaining files/folders for Final Fantasy (I copied my save file to a separate location for later use). 

If I reinstall FF7 from steam, it is able to launch successfully.  If I reinstall the Reunion, the same "failed to open log file" error occurs.  If I disable the reunion via the flag at the beginning of the Options.ini file, the game will launch successfully.  I'm unsure what is causing this error and how to remove it so that I can reinstall the game with the Reunion mod successfully.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling using both the R06d and the new R06e versions.  I have a hunch it is a simple problem to resolve, but I was unable to find any mention of it in the listed bugs or forum posts.  I did see that R06d had issues when entering Nibelheim, but did not see anyone mentioning they are experiencing the persistent error preventing the game from launching.  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uhyWJ_sqrpJynV8LplAHmqso1XRL90Z-

1. An explanation of the bug
The game fails to launch with an error message stating "failed to open log file" when Reunion is installed/enabled.
2. Does the bug happen at same point more than once?
This initially occurred when visiting Nibelheim for the first time with Reunion R06d.  The error occurs whenever relaunching the game.
3. App.log (found in root folder)
No App.log file exists in the root folder but does exist in C:\Users\<User Profile>\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam.  File was empty.
4. Reunion.log (found in The_Reunion folder)
See google drive link.
5. crash.dmp (found in root folder)
Does not exist in the root folder
6. Your save file from just before the crash or hang
See google drive link.
7. Audio.log (found in The_Reunion folder)
Not an audio issue.  File was empty.
8. Your CPU spec
Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
9. Your operating system
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Chthon

• View Profile
Still to-do

8. Look into a way of dealing with the save location and sharing of save files between 1998 version/The Reunion and Steam.

I have some thoughts on this. Though first a couple disclaimers:

• I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. From your post here, I gather that Steam is wantonly deleting files if it doesn't like their checksum. I'm assuming that you don't mean the checksum internal to the save file itself but rather the checksum for the save file noted in Steam's metadata.xml file. If I'm incorrect about that, then everything I'm about to say should probably be ignored.
  • I'm not in a position to test any of this because I don't have the Steam version (still have my discs from 1998) or Windows 10 (I use Linux).

Anywho, I think the following would work:
  • Add two fields to Reunion's config file:
    • LinkSavesWithSteam (bool, default: false)
    • SteamUserID (string, default: this_is_not_a_valid_steam_id)
  • Add the following behavior to the installer:
    • Check if %userprofile%\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\ exists. If not, stop.
    • Ask the user if they want to link their Reunion saves with their Steam saves. If so, set the LinkSavesWithSteam option in Reunion's config file. If not, stop.
    • Enumerate the immediate child subdirectories of %userprofile%\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\. If none, stop. If one, select that. If more than one, ask the user to select one.
    • Save the name of selected subdirectory to the SteamUserID field of Reunion's config file.
    • Check if the selected Steam save directory contains any save files. Also check if the '98-edition save directory contains any conflicting save files. As appropriate, ask if the user wants to keep all, none, or only the non-conflicting Steam save files.
    • Move the indicated Steam save files to the '98-edition save directory.
    • Perform the same steps as the modified launcher behavior, described below.
  • Add the following behavior to the launcher, to be performed AFTER ff7.exe returns:
    • Check LinkSavesWithSteam in the Reunion config file. If false, stop.
    • Check if %userprofile%\My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\ exists and contains an immediate child directory matching the SteamUserID stored in the Reunion config file. If not, stop.
    • Iterate over the save files in the '98-edition save directory. For each file, create a symlink in the Steam save directory to that file, overwriting if necessary.
      • NOTE: It's important to symlink each individual file rather than to symlink the containing directory in order to make sure Steam can't muck with the real save files. A process with access to a directory symlink can delete files within the target directory, but a process with access to a file symlink can't delete the target file. (At least that's the way things work in operating systems that properly implement symlinks. I've heard rumors that in certain circumstances Win10 will allow you to delete a target from the link, but I haven't cared enough to look into them.)
    • Rewrite Steam's metadata.xml file. How? It looks like this source file from Black Chocobo contains most of the answers we need:
      • Crib the overall xml structure from an existing file. Looks simple.
      • Timestamps are actually quite a pain. We're going to have to keep a persistent memo file on the side to figure out which slots have changed.
        • Ignoring the first 9 bytes, chop the save file up into 15 chunks of 4,340 bytes representing the individual slots. (Those numbers came from here.) For each chunk:
          • Check if the first two bytes equal 0x4D1D. If so, the slot is empty, so the timestamp should be blank.
          • Otherwise, hash the chunk (using whatever hash algorithm you like) and compare against the prior hash from the memo file.
          • If the hash is unchanged, use the prior timestamp from the memo file.
          • Otherwise, the new timestamp is the file's last modified date (accessible via system call) expressed as milliseconds since the Unix epoch.
        • Now go rewrite the memo file with the updated hashes and timestamps for next time.
        • (I'm not really sure how to deal with the initial case when we don't have a memo file yet. I guess for files moved from the Steam save directory, we'll need to preserve whatever the original metadata.xml said; and for files originating in the '98-edition save directory, just timestamp all the nonblank slots with the file's last modified date and live with whatever errors that creates. (I guess you could get fancy and parse the game time out of each slot to invent believable in-order timestamps...))
        • (Since this is such a pain, I'd be tempted to experiment with what Steam does when the timestamps are wrong. If the consequences aren't that bad, I'd put less effort into getting them right.)
      • To calculate the "signature," start with the file content, append the Steam user ID encoded as ASCII (or ISO 8859-1, same difference for numerals), take the md5 hash of that, and express the hash output as lowercase hex.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
No crashes yet?  Come on - you know you want to spoil my day.

traveler0420

• View Profile
Hi folks. I'm here to report a 'hang', I think it's called, but first of all I just wanted to say that this mod is absolutely amazing and it's helped me re-discover my love for this wonderful game. That's why I so desperately want to find a solution to this glitch.

The glitch:
-After beating Demon Gate at the Temple of the Ancients, I get the whole scene with Cait Sith sacrificing himself. After that, the camera shows Cloud and Aerith before the temple. The camera pans up and the temple disappears - and then nothing else happens. I can still hear background sounds from the forest, but nothing works (Pressing buttons). I get no crash report.

I tried doing the sequence with the translation turned off (Like with the Nibelheim glitch), but when I do so the game 'hangs up' right after Cait Sith accepts to read Aerith her and Cloud's fortune (Right after the Demon Gate fight).

I've tried turning off every option in the config, but nothing works.

Specs and logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=173TF0umOKWCefWnjOiCYew9Oip4UK6w5

-Other questions:
I was wondering where the save files for the Reunion are? The main folder only seems to have the saves from the normal Steam version, since if I start the game with The Reunion turned off none of my saves show up until I reactivate it.

I'm asking because I really want to finish the game, and wouldn't mind switching over to the regular Steam version with these saves. But that doesn't seem to work?

EDIT: Okay, I figured out the last part - I transferred the save from the Reunion to the Steam save folder in My Documents and opened the game with the Reunion turned off. I'll see if I can then get through this section and turn the Reunion back on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've been soft locked twice so far at Temple of the Ancients, once where Cait Sith was casting a fortune on Aeris and Cloud and had to switch New Translation on in the options to get past, and second when the Temple is shrunk, the movie just stalls. Exact same issues as the guy above.

Files (save before Demon Wall fight):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15MiuaVnICvhGL2kBN0_Y3xvQaeS7zfhB/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: 2020-04-21 14:17:19 by traveler0420 »

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Is that a challenge?  You know how easily I can crash stuff (when I have the time, anyways)  :mrgreen:

Agravaile

• View Profile

Just wait 'til you see another Nibelheim report that was in R06d, this will do a great job getting at your nerves.

Btw, is there anywhere i can find Menu Enhancement textures in png format, for use with the texture folder? No matter what i do, i just can't get any results converting them with any TEX tool there is. I'm almost sure it's me who doesn't know how to use it properly, but would appreciate it if someone just shared those files in png format.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-21 14:33:04 by Agravaile »

suloku

• View Profile
Hello, first of all, thank you for the awesome mod. Just finished FF7-remake and wanted to revisit the original, but with propper translation. This was exactly what I was looking for.

I mixed it with REMAKO mod, which honestly makes it look great.

I read about the "problem" (?) with 7th heaven, I hope the following is not missunderstood. I used the 2012 Square-Enix release (not 1998, not Steam) and couldn't make FF7_GameConverter_0.11.exe work, thus not being able to properly install reunion. In the end what worked for me was installing 7th heaven after a clean installation, the run 7th heave, make sure first launch gamepath configs were OK, then launched the game once without mods. This seemed to propperly reconvert the installation to the 1998 version, thus allowing for a propper install and usage of Reunion and the mods.

Then I followed the following guide to install the REMAKO mod (basically, use 7th heaven built in tool to unpack IRO files, copy them to propper paths, and also the yuv.frag file, but I'm not sure if this was actually needed as video files were playing fine).
Here's the instructions I followed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/2653116677226375280/

I'm gonna post instructions for 2012 Square-Enix release + Reunion + REMAKO just in case it comes in handy for someone:
1.- Install FF7 2012 Square release (I installed to c:\GAMES\FINAL FANTASY VII as suggested by REMAKO's install guide)
2.- Install 7th heaven 2.0 (I used version Setup-SeventhHeaven-v2.0.3.406.exe)
3.- Run 7th Heaven, make sure FF7 paths are correct (it should ask for them the first time you run the program, if not you can find it at Settings->General Settings)
4.- Run the game (Play->Play without mods).

At this point the 2012 should have been reconverted to 1998 version, and you should be able to run the game via FF7.exe

5.- Install Reunion R06b

If you only want Reunion, edit [root]\The_Reunion\options.ini as needed (resolution, enable mods etc.) and use FF7.exe to run the game. We'll proceed with REMAKO.

6.- Download yuv.frag and Remako HD Graphics Mod v1.0 - Complete Download from https://captrobau.blogspot.com/
7.- Decompress the Remako HD mod
8.- Create the folder [root]\The_Reunion\CUSTOM\remako\Texture
9.- Use 7th Heaven IRO tools to unpack remako's iro files
10.- Move the parent folder of the unpacked files to the remako\Texture folder. It should now contain the battle, char, field, menu, minigames and world folders.
11.- Copy the movies folder from Remako to [root]\data (this will ask to overwrite the original less quality files)
12. Edit [root]\The_Reunion\options.ini as needed (resolution, enable mods etc.). "MOD_ID = remako" is required for remako textures.
13. Copy yuv.frag to [root]\The_Reunion\Program_files (this file is needed to correctly visualize the better quality video files)

I'm not sure if Reunion's yuv.frag is better than Remako's as I've seen Reunion's has it's own yuv.frag...should I keep Reunion's yuv.frag instead?

I hope this is useful for others, I'll be waiting for R07 ^^

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
The temple issue is an original game problem [which is why new translation fixes it].  The other you mention I've not seen before. 
« Last Edit: 2020-04-21 15:23:43 by DLPB »

BahamutSIN

• View Profile
So far it seems like a smooth and stable release.

Question: I have the 1998 pc version and installed Reunion. But I forgot to swap the old exe/config files for the 1.02 ones, though I swapped these AFTER installation, should I reinstall or can I play like this? Am I still going to benefit from all the fixes Reunion does to the exe?

oblongsausage

• View Profile
Hello, first of all, thank you for the awesome mod. Just finished FF7-remake and wanted to revisit the original, but with propper translation. This was exactly what I was looking for.

I mixed it with REMAKO mod, which honestly makes it look great.

I read about the "problem" (?) with 7th heaven, I hope the following is not missunderstood. I used the 2012 Square-Enix release (not 1998, not Steam) and couldn't make FF7_GameConverter_0.11.exe work, thus not being able to properly install reunion. In the end what worked for me was installing 7th heaven after a clean installation, the run 7th heave, make sure first launch gamepath configs were OK, then launched the game once without mods. This seemed to propperly reconvert the installation to the 1998 version, thus allowing for a propper install and usage of Reunion and the mods.

Then I followed the following guide to install the REMAKO mod (basically, use 7th heaven built in tool to unpack IRO files, copy them to propper paths, and also the yuv.frag file, but I'm not sure if this was actually needed as video files were playing fine).
Here's the instructions I followed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/2653116677226375280/

I'm gonna post instructions for 2012 Square-Enix release + Reunion + REMAKO just in case it comes in handy for someone:
I'm not sure if Reunion's yuv.frag is better than Remako's as I've seen Reunion's has it's own yuv.frag...should I keep Reunion's yuv.frag instead?

I hope this is useful for others, I'll be waiting for R07 ^^

Just an FYI, there's a much better texture mod out there: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19204.0

Zenoxio

• View Profile
Hi folks, I've installed the mod without errors.

How can I verify BEACAUSE is working correctly? I do not see any dialogue changes, and comparing YouTube videos playing this mod has different text than I do.

ObbyDent

• View Profile
Just an FYI, there's a much better texture mod out there: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19204.0

LOL no thank you, his version may be better supported and is easier to install but his textures are wayyyyyy too heavy on the smoothing. COmpletely ruins the details. I'd much rather play the OG graphics than use that mod.

I'll wait for dev on Remako to pick back up since he's been dealing with a family death.