Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Omzy's Field Pack - dramatically improved backgrounds! (2013-07-13)  (Read 275402 times)

manuchan

• View Profile
was this included in bootleg40?

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Well, it is completely compatible with bootleg40, but you still have to download the 3.2GB Facepalmer file separate. There is an option for Field Textures in the bootleg setup which includes sets like Blackfan and Bootlegged, personally I prefer the uniformity of the plain old Facepalmer set. If you click the "fix glitched lighting" option it will get rid of all the hi-res lighting, but it may simplify your life if you don't want to figure out how to get around the few broken spots. 

halsafar

• View Profile
For this to work on the steam version it has to be compiled down to a lgp with the PNG's converted to the proper TEX format.

I am very new to the FF7 modding scene but not modding in general.  I am already working on converting some of the shader mods to the new HLSL format that the steam version appears to be using.  However the one mod that is truly lacking the steam version (with achievements) is the backgrounds.

Before spending tons of time on this, has this been done already?  Can one convert the PNG structure Omzy to the proper field map textures which I understand might not be the same as the other textures in the game, so will image2tex work?

Aavock

• View Profile
Hey halsafar, unfortunately the backgrounds are not textures (*.tex files) so img2tex would definitely not work... Each background are custom file type and sometimes includes several layers which would be extremely difficult to do so, as far as I know, there's no such tool (yet) for reconverting a resized PNG into the game custom background file (and then back to *.lgp).

As for the HLSL shader, there is some information here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14330.0, a xBR HLSL shader (for both 2012 rerelease and steam version) would be a dream come true, you have my full support halsafar !

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
A live shader would also has an effect on the models and the menu. What you need is something like TexMod or Dsfix (texture replacer for Dark Souls). I think that these tools are working similar as Aali's driver and updating the vram.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Edit: Oops, I lied. I believe there is a way to do it, just not what I previously said.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-21 05:41:38 by [CleverNameHere] »

halsafar

• View Profile
As for the HLSL shader, there is some information here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14330.0, a xBR HLSL shader (for both 2012 rerelease and steam version) would be a dream come true, you have my full support halsafar !

From first inspection this CG Shader can be easily converted to HLSL with some guidance:
https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders/blob/master/xbr/4xbr-v4.0.cg

The only problem I foresee is these shaders require knowledge of the internal rendering resolution.  That may have to be hard coded, I know little of the FF7 engine.  It may need to be changed on a per user basis.  However for xBR I think most people will be tickled regardless of set backs.  I have pretty good shader knowledge as it is my job and my hobby. 

Off topic though. 

I plan to research Omzy's work a bit more and see if there is a way to pack it up so it works with the steam version. 

Aavock

• View Profile
Nice halsafar!
As Kaldarasha said, a shader would affect the 3D models and menu; on the other hand, repacking the flevel.lgp (with resized backgrounds) means a huge amount of work but the result could definitely be a must-have but don't throw away the shader idea, I'm looking forward to see how it looks !

halsafar

• View Profile
xBR might not be possible.  I hit an unusual dead-end when porting, just stopped working if I inserted a new instruction.  This leads me to believe it is using PS_2_0 as the shader model internally which has an low instruction slot count (~64).  If this is true then xBR will be problematic.  I am concerned as to why they would change to HLSL and yet stick with PS_2_0, so I need research or info.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
ANother user and I (mostly another user) tried Xbr many different ways and it doesn't work.

halsafar

• View Profile
Yeah I got a fully functional xBR working but FF7 wouldn't accept it.  My research leads me to believe FF7 loads up on pixel shader 2.0 which has a very low instruction count max.  Even hq2x is to many instructions for PS 2.0. These boil down to individual arithmetic operations.  So when you unroll a lot of the math in these shaders to asm it reaches far past the instruction count limit.

Might still be possible with an external app hooking into ff7_en.exe D3D.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
We don't use D3D to render, we use OpenGL :/

halsafar

• View Profile
Not in the Steam version.  It clearly uses HLSL (pixel.hlsl, vert.hlsl are the shader files) and interally loads up D3D as you can see with D3D SDK Utilities.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Oh yeah, I forgot you're doing it for the "unmodded" version.

Akira Sendoh

• I don't want to be a Goodman,I want to be a Great1
    • View Profile
Hello I have a problem with Omzy's Field Pack
why though nothing had happened when i install this mod ???

this is the printscreen

this is where is install the mod
C:\Programs Files x86\SquareSoft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\Mods\DK\Field

and this is my laptop specs
Lenovo G570
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core i3 Mobility 8gb RAM
AMD Radeon HD Graphics 7370M

Is There any problem with my Install ???
I hope there's a solution :(

Sorry for my bad english :P

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
And what is your problem? I can't see anything on the pic, because of the low resolution.

Akira Sendoh

• View Profile
Oh !! Sorry xD This is the Fullscreen

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
I still don't see a problem . . .

Akira Sendoh

• View Profile
what do you mean ?? theres no problem with the mods ??

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
You need to tell US the problem.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
You need to tell US the problem.
One of the problems is that the game is installed in the Programs Folder.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
Oh !! Sorry xD This is the Fullscreen

The mod appears to be working correctly from that screenshot...?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
I know, he doesn't want to point out what he's talking about.

Theclad

• Idir - FFDream.com
    • View Profile
    • FINAL FANTASY DREAM - Webmaster
If we could imagine a port for a .lgp version (for 2012 version/steam) it would be just awesome ! :)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
I'm unfamiliar with how the formatting works, but converting the PNG to TEX doesn't work. So it's far off, if not ever, possible.