Author Topic: [FF7PC] NPC Reconstruction (Discontinued, use Unified Model Installer)  (Read 570940 times)

Diamond60

Re: NPC Reconstruction Project
« Reply #725 on: 2007-03-24 18:55:30 »
I just learned about all these cool improvements to FFVII after not touching it for 10 years.  I followed the instructions on http://fem1.uniag.sk/Miroslav.Jezik/ff7ncopam.html (which are repeated in a lot of places).  However, I'm not seeing the new NPC models on the field.
Videos are working fine.
I patched to 1.02 and applied the high res patch.  That is working fine.
I applied the high res Cloud patch for battle scenes. That is working.

As for the NPC recontruction patch:
I have the English US version of the game.
I made sure that it was the original versions of char.lgp, chocobo.lgp and world_us.lgp in the directory. char.lgp was of size 47,842KB.
I used LGPtools to extract char.lgp to a char subdirectory.
I applied the patch which worked a while and reported success.
I then use LGPtools to create a new archive called char.lgp from the char subdirectory. That char.lgp is size 60,171KB. 

However, in the game, it is still using all the default models on the field.  :-(
Anyone have suggestions as to what might be wrong?
Note: I did NOT apply the hand patch.

Thanks

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #726 on: 2007-03-24 19:40:10 »
Make sure you selected the full install option when installing the game.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: 2007-03-24 19:41:38 »
ARrr so this where ppl are getting my email and msn from muhaha not any more

ok now to help you

do you  have  maximum installation of the game

Damn dziugo beat me to it :( lol

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: 2007-03-24 19:48:15 »
Diamond60 :

Well from what I read (exept if you didn't selected the full install option) it seems that you done the right thing ... the only thing I see is that you might have done the new char.lgp in another directory than the "...\final fantasy VII\field\" thus not replace the file char.lgp.... you have to replace the original char.lgp with the new one.... the rest seems to be fine...

Diamond60

« Reply #729 on: 2007-03-24 21:20:52 »
I just learned about all these cool improvements to FFVII after not touching it for 10 years.  I followed the instructions on http://fem1.uniag.sk/Miroslav.Jezik/ff7ncopam.html (which are repeated in a lot of places).  However, I'm not seeing the new NPC models on the field.
Videos are working fine.

I made sure that it was the original versions of char.lgp, chocobo.lgp and world_us.lgp in the directory. char.lgp was of size 47,842KB.
I then use LGPtools to create a new archive called char.lgp from the char subdirectory. That char.lgp is size 60,171KB. 

However, in the game, it is still using all the default models on the field.  :-(

Thanks

To clarify some questions
I did do maximum install. However, I wouldn't mind knowing how to verify that the max install done by the game is the max/full install that everyone says is required.  Any specific file to look for to tell the difference?

I did replace the char.lgp in the field directory with the new one that was created.  I even tried running the game both with and without the char subdirectory (unpacked but patched) in the field directory.

Diamond60

« Reply #730 on: 2007-03-24 21:24:47 »
I did replace the char.lgp in the field directory with the new one that was created.  I even tried running the game both with and without the char subdirectory (unpacked but patched) in the field directory.

Can someone tell me how I can manually verify that the files in the unpacked char directory have been properly patched?  I want to narrow down the problem to the patching versus the LGP packing versus the game itself.

Thanks.

Diamond60

« Reply #731 on: 2007-03-24 21:36:30 »
Update!!
Turns out it was the full install. Even though I am 99% sure I chose the largest install option for the game I looked in the registry and saw that FullInstall was set to 0.  I changed the regkey value to 1 and now the higher res models are being used.  So apparently it was still reading some of the lgp off of the CD.
thanks for the advice.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: 2007-03-24 22:47:15 »
Hey guys ive been playing with this patch and i found 2 "bugs":

1- Character faces make strange things when  standing for a while, well, the thing that they do is like their faces go like a ghost or something and do something that i dont know to explain  :cry:

2-When Cloud Strife makes his "crazy head" action and put his hands in his head in reality he's not doing it so its like the char action is not "well-fixed" or something...

I hope you understood my bugs report  :-P

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: 2007-03-24 23:38:12 »
Diamond60: Just an advice ... don't double ... well in you case triple post in Qhimm forums... you could be banned ... there is a botton called modify ... do it next time (just don't want you to get banned :wink:).  Oh and I'm Glade you managed to get it work!

Sephiroth Crescent : The Character face problem that you speak of is a texture problem ..... it's when the eyes are suppose to blink some models do dirty things ... the only model that I noticed that is doing this is Barret... but there is most likely others that could do it.  Normaly when the eyes blinks it's suppose to make disapair all the textures on the head... but for some reason with Barret some black things apair instead...  anyway... I don't know at all what you are talking about with the 2nd bug you found... sorry ....
« Last Edit: 2007-03-24 23:40:10 by stormmedia »

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: 2007-03-24 23:42:36 »
Okay Stormmedia, so the 2nd bug im talking about im talnking about Cloud for example in the Temple of the Ancients when he goes crazy and he put his hands on his head , the hands not even touch his head, so the scene goes strange lol, i hope its possible to fix that cause the scene its really LOL when you see Cloud in this way  :lol:

Psychotic Ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: 2007-03-25 00:29:38 »
think u could send a pic of this happing? cus its hard 4 me to picture wat ur sayin and i want to kno wat the/a scene would look like (manly cus wen i try 2 install the patch i get an error so that i have to reinstall ff7(and i folo the instructions word by word))

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: 2007-03-25 00:54:26 »
Sephiroth Crescent : Ohh I know what you mean now... well .... This is not realy a bug in fact... it's just that the arm aren't long enough for this annimation... but I don't think it's realy better with the original models... ... the problem is that when we test the annimation... we have to make sur it fits all the annimation... for exemple if we makes the arms longer ... when he hold his sword in his hand.. the sword won't fit with his hand.  So we know that some animation may looks weird... but we try to make the models to fit with the more animations we can...

Anyway... thanks for this bugs report :-).

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: 2007-03-25 10:44:47 »
Diamond60: Just an advice ... don't double ... well in you case triple post in Qhimm forums... you could be banned ... there is a botton called modify ... do it next time (just don't want you to get banned :wink:).  Oh and I'm Glade you managed to get it work!

i keep getting beat to the post:( anyway might ask Qhimm if i can have control of this topic

Sen

« Reply #738 on: 2007-03-25 12:11:46 »
Hi there ^_^

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I have a little dilemma. I just recently found out about the 2 patches, Reunion and NPC Reconstruction, and while I love what you guys are doing with all the NPCs, I prefer the Cloud model used in Reunion. I can't figure out how to (or if it's even possible to- don't know much at all about LGP) use the Cloud model from Reunion with the rest of the content from NPC. The NPC one looks very disproportionate (big chest, too short legs). Not sure if maybe it was done to go with the rest of the models, height wise or something. I guess I'll just use Reunion on it's own if I have to.

Edit: I just found an older version of NPC (0.2) on Ground Zero, which didn't modify the main characters, so I was able to patch Reunion over it and now have nice Cloud ^^ Probably a lot of NPCs won't be changed, but at least Avalanche are, which is cool.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-25 12:46:38 by Sen »

Thatamos

« Reply #739 on: 2007-03-25 13:27:54 »
Hey guys. On my first post I'd like to congratulate you on doing what I've been planning on doing for the past year (only mine will be much more elaborate when it's done - I'm remaking the whole world essentially along with models and textures. So far model wise, we've got all of it except for a few monsters in the Temple of the Ancients and 3D re-made levels go up to the Train Yard).

What I'd like to know is how would you go around to modifying the PS1 version? I say this because a huge database of people, including myself, play FF7 via our PSP's. Now the PSP file for FF7 is an ISO from the PS1 version converted to meet homebrew standards to run on a PSP. Now, I wouldn't mind compiling all three discs for the PSP again but I'd like to do it with the new models, including the High Res Cloud.

What I need to ask you though is is it possible to modify the PS1 version?

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: 2007-03-25 15:39:10 »
Sen: Well the thing is that with the old version (including Reunion) the models are too tall and clip over the background... I resized them so it fit the backgroud... however Cloud is my very first test model on this game so... it's why it's a little less good than the others... one day I'll redo it ... well if you prefer to use tall model that's your choice... but they won't fit properly with the backgroud...

Thatamos: Are you saying that you redone all the models in ff7 ?? if it'S the case may I see your work?? ... anyway... our work will be more elaborated than it looks right now... thing is it's far from over even though most of the models in the field are done... truth is ....  once all the field models are done.. we will do other models... and redo some old field models that we did long ago.... since we can now convert 3ds to .p we can do about everything we want with the models of ff7.

Anyways ppl here the models I was working on from some time now entirely made from the scratch with 3ds max hehe:

Link for bigger size

I'll have to redo some textures ..... but it's almost finish.
This is rendered from 3ds max... I didn't have time yet to put it ingame... beside ... until the lighing can apply to the textures... it won'T look good ingame anyway.
« Last Edit: 2007-03-25 15:42:10 by stormmedia »

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: 2007-03-25 17:05:39 »
Well Thatamos, now that was a surprising anounce! As stormmedia said, we'd be very glad if you posted some images from your project.

About your cuestion regarding the PS1 version, sorry, I must say it's way too hard. Because of the way files are stored and read in the PS1 version, you can't simply replace files and expect the game to keep working, unless they are smaller or equal in size (which would defeat the purpose).

By the way, great model stormmedia! I still think the nose makes her a bit manly though.

Ragna

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: 2007-03-25 18:14:54 »
OMG, the last model its amazing (compared to all others i think)!! Hey, its ok, the 2nd bug I reported was only a question or suggestion from me, its ok if its not possible to do it "perfect" for the char actions^^ its enough for now i think^^

PD: Yeah Thatamos we REALLY WANT TO SEE something about your project^^

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: 2007-03-25 19:23:04 »
Borde: Yep ...  I will modify the face a bit .... especialy the nose now that you tell me hehe.  As I said to you in msn this head was made for a men ... I have to modify it a little more.

Sephiroth Crescent : Thanks  :-) most of my new models will be like this one because it makes me pratice 3ds max and I have to get good enough with 3ds so that the college will take me in  :-D hehe
« Last Edit: 2007-03-25 19:30:20 by stormmedia »

murak

« Reply #744 on: 2007-03-26 09:59:44 »
Thatamos, Are you prepared to share out your enhanced version when its done???

Sephiroth#pt#

« Reply #745 on: 2007-03-29 20:46:42 »
Hey everyone!
Well, i have been away from this forum for a long time! Maybe a year or more!
But these last days, I was travelling and thought about this forums post, the "NPC Reconstruction Project"!
yeah, and I didn't remember the forums adress site, I had to google xD and then recover the pw!
Anyways, I started playing FFV7 on my new PSP! Yes, it works excellent! Thats the reason I remembered this topic!
What I really would like to know, is if it is possible to import this NPC char into a PSX iso. If so, I would be able to play ff7 in a wonderfull way on my PSP! =) =)
I'll be waiting for your answer Icecold, and other developers!
Thanks for all, and for keeping FF7 scene alive!
« Last Edit: 2007-03-29 20:48:38 by Sephiroth#pt# »

Sephiroth#pt#

« Reply #746 on: 2007-03-29 21:19:34 »
Sorry, just read Thatamos post after posting mine..
Anyways, we must find someone who could convert it!

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #747 on: 2007-03-30 09:54:04 »
About hacking the PS1 version...
Unless you have the ability to re-author a whole new CD using Squaresoft's BIOS sector accessing system, you aren't going to be modding anything.

I'm probably going to be putting this in a FAQ soon...

The PSX version of FF7 does *NOT* load any data by filenames. You can delete the directory entry on 90% of all the files and the game will still run. (They fixed this in FF8, where they got rid of filenames all togeather)

The game is hard-coded to look for data directly at sector locations on the disk. The game doesn't look for models by opening a file called "cdrom:/enemy/cloud.lzs" It looks for sector 3753983 and is told to load 16 data chunks in 8k segments. Unless the data you replace is exactly the same size and exactly on the same location of the disk, it's not going to load. You make the file larger, you are going to overwrite other data. If you make the file too small, you will underun the streaming buffer and most likely cause a divide-by-zero error.

Also, this is a PSX we are talking about. You have about 512 bytes of texture space for your character. If your character has eyes, you have used half of it already. The system only has 2MB of video ram, and a 3rd of it is being taken up by the video buffers, and a half is for the background, you have about a 5th of it used for statics and text.... You really don't have enough room left for textures after that.

If you can tell me where the master sector lookup table is for loading data, and if you can sucessfully edit it so that it won't point to the hard-coded locations on the disk, *then* you can actually start editing the data....

Keeping in mind that you have to make sure that any extra data is properly timed for entery into the polygon ordering table, and that you don't have a DMA buffer overrun when you stream the data packets to the GTE. You are also going to have to make sure the extra data isn't going to choke the GPU, which, if not timed correctly, will lock your rendering pipeline.

The PSX and PC data formats are different. PCs are well-known for happily taking garbage. On a PSX, if you mess with the rendering pipeline just a little bit, you've locked the system and you aren't going to be drawing anything on the screen.

Not even garbage.

You don't tell a PSX to "draw a model" like in OpenGL. You have to hand-make every data packet that's going to the GPU. I wish you luck, but I think it's a fool's errand.

hero101

« Reply #748 on: 2007-04-03 05:24:39 »
Videos are working fine.

Thanks

Hi

I am new to this site and I first of all thank you for breathing new life in the best game of all time!! :mrgreen: I was just looking at how to make my version run in hardware mode but then I ran across this site  :-D

Anyway I seem to have the similar problem as Diamond when I intsalled the npc reconstruction patch. I have installed all the same thing as Diamond and I did a full installation. My thing is when I click on the executable, it opens the game the exits out to windows with no error.

My character Lgp file after running the lgp file is like 260 meg is that right? Also I put that file in the field folder?

This btw is the 2nd time I tried it. First time I tried the patch It made a differance only to Cloud on the world map but not the rest of the game so I thought I must have done it wrong.

If it helps I have the Aussie version of the game so I hope u are going to tell me it works on it!  :-D

Epileptick

« Reply #749 on: 2007-04-29 18:20:52 »
I have spent the last hours combing the internet for the answer to this problem and this thread is the closest thing to it but not quite:

I have done the FULL installation, and I have followed every step to a "T", and my language settings were already set to USA, etc.

The Ficedula extraction goes fine and I double checked the FF7\data\field\CHAR folder to make sure the files are there.  But when I run the reconstruction project patch I get "the destination directory doesn't contain any files to update" - which is most certainly does. 

I am so close to victory and this happens........I nearly puked on my keyboard with frustration.  Please help.

- epi