Author Topic: [FF7PC] NPC Reconstruction (Discontinued, use Unified Model Installer)  (Read 569227 times)

Thrashamatrix

• There is no spoon, kid....
    • View Profile
Re: NPC Reconstruction Project
« Reply #825 on: 2007-06-17 22:44:39 »
Well!!! its been a while since i've been here... (Like 6 months) hey! stormmedia remember me, if you don't no worries! :cry:

I wanted to know the current status of the NPC-RP the last time I was here was when this was 15 pages of posts not 33...

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: 2007-06-18 07:48:14 »
Hey, how you been?

Well we still on V0.6
We are trying to get a new patcher, a more user friend one. To help the newbies, who can't use the LGPTool.

Off-topic there a-lot of people doing model's now.

when i get around to it, i will post some pic's

Thrashamatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: 2007-06-18 08:04:43 »
 :-D Someone remembers me...

How you doing ice_cold, I've been great just not been in contact with computers in these past months and when Qhimm did something to his servers I couldn't log in. so I took that as a hint, lol...

I've seen some real good models!!! your guys quality has changed since I was here everything and the models are more lifelike like a better texture or modeller did you uncover a better technique for doing models...?

Ya you are right everyone just learned how to model ey? scary thought that the NPC-RP might ever actually be finished... :wink:

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: 2007-06-18 22:27:11 »
scary thought that the NPC-RP might ever actually be finished... :wink:

It will be finish ...... one day :-D

Hay Thrashamatrix it's been a while.  I thought you was killed!  Anyway, the new style of models you speak of are kinda my experiments on 3ds max hehe.  Now that we can convert .3ds to .p, I decided to do my new models on 3ds max.  It allows a lot more details.  Unfortunately I don't have much time for the project right now :-( so my models are kinda in standby.  Hope one day I gonna be able to restart working on this project as much as I did before :-).

Anyway, nice to see you again!

-Edit-

I just updated my screens of Cloud... not a big change though but I improved a little the face...

Anyway just go see the modification here
I just replaced the images.
« Last Edit: 2007-06-18 22:33:47 by stormmedia »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #829 on: 2007-06-24 09:34:14 »
This may be presumptuous...but Storm, do you think this may be a little much?  I liked the older models you have done because they stay true to the old FF7.  The new models are nice...but they don't quite fit in with the old 2d backgrounds and their faces are a little strange.

Maybe...finished what you started?  I don't know...

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: 2007-06-24 16:05:49 »
The new models are nice...but they don't quite fit in with the old 2d backgrounds and their faces are a little strange.
Hey there,

Well,  you base this sentence on what exactly?  I didn't post any shots with any of those models ingame, so how can you(or any other who have posted quite the same thing) know they won't fit?  I don't even know myself if they will fit right because they aren't even fully imported into ff7.  All I know is that I've made some tests with high poly and textured models and they fit just fine with the background.  That's for sure that too detailed texture will indeed look weird in the game.  But I never do too much.  If one day I do too much I will notice it don't worry.  I once thought about leaving the project to focus my work on improving my skills in 3ds max.  But at the end I figured that I can do both at the same time.  That's when I started to do these kind of models.  I want you all to know that I won't be going back to my old ways of modeling.  So, since I care about what everyone want into this patch, I'm going to ask you all once and for all :"Do you still want me in the project".  I mean it looks like I don't fit anymore with what the people here wants so;  It might actually be better if I just go away.

Whatever you answer I will respect it.

See you all...
« Last Edit: 2007-06-24 16:07:42 by stormmedia »

afiction

« Reply #831 on: 2007-06-24 18:51:10 »
Storm, Cloud is looking great. Are you going to make all the main characters that neat? This project is always getting more interesting. All I can do is just play from version .06 ^_^.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/art.shtml
There's nice official pictures of Biggs, Elmyra, Jesse, Marlene and President Shinra on that site.
Do you think someone who knows nothing of modeling can make some models within a week? I know photoshop well...

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: 2007-06-24 22:55:04 »
Quote from: Changeling
Maybe... finish what you started?

Maybe... let him do what he wants?  All he is posting is WIP.  Don't like it?  Fine, they aren't in sweat shops making the patches for us....

On PSP sorry for any typos.

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: 2007-06-24 23:52:11 »
@stormmedia: Your work is fine if people don't like what your doing thats there problem not yours, your apart of the mod team and if the mod team likes what your doing thats all the support you need. When making your own mod your word is rule so don't worry about the few nay sayers out there who don't think it will work, I think your doing a fantastic job with the patch so far and the rest of the people working on it, and I'm looking forward to seeing cloud ingame.

@afiction: I highly doubt you could start making decent models within a week, not to say it's impossible. But if your good in photoshop you could always find one person to do the modeling and you could do the skinning, as theres always a need for people proficient in photoshop, and the only thing you would have to learn is unwraping UVW's to texture the model. Just a thought.

Thrashamatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: 2007-06-25 07:33:50 »
If you don't like it you don't have to use it, plain and simple.

If that was a suggestion you should learn how to suggest in a manner that does not piss off the artist, but anyway...

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: 2007-06-25 10:35:07 »
Well
I have said to storm that if he wants to-do model's like that. He can as long they look like the model's, from the FF7PC Cut scene's.

Any-way here is some W.I.P pic's

The Chocobo Wagon
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/theicefox/Wagon.jpg

Sephiroth
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/theicefox/gggg.jpg

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: 2007-06-25 15:07:53 »
I don't think you have to go stormmedia. Yes, some people doesn't like your job, but you can see there is also a lot of people here who wants to see more of it. If you like doing models, I'd suggest you to stick with your tests.

zamuz

« Reply #837 on: 2007-06-29 04:41:31 »
first, let me say that this is fantastic. i just tried it out and it works perfectly. my congratulations and thanks go to everybody involved in the project.

i have one suggestion, maybe not everyone will love it. i think the sword should be removed from cloud's back: it looks cool and all, but it's going to look weird when you get to certain points in the game where cloud draws his sword. plus it looks kind of weird also when cloud is sitting somewhere or stuff like that.

that's about it. keep up the awesome work.
« Last Edit: 2007-06-29 04:43:41 by zamuz »

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: 2007-06-29 17:08:02 »
You shouldn't worry about the points where Cloud holds his sword zamuz, that's a different model. Anyway, personally I'd have the sword removed, but it looks like most people like it that way so that's not going to happen.

goozy

« Reply #839 on: 2007-06-29 18:49:42 »
Excuse me if this don't belong here or if its asked alot but i also have the same problem with AVFD.yos and you said it would be fixed in next version but is there any date you think this new version might be out?
« Last Edit: 2007-06-29 19:09:36 by goozy »

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: [Release] NPC Reconstruction Project
« Reply #840 on: 2007-07-04 08:36:39 »
Wow.  I did not think I would generate this kind of response.  I'm not saying I don't like your models, but if you're trying to make them more realistic wouldn't you have to start all over again?  I didn't say they wouldn't fit per say, I meant they would just look strange.  I am sure you would agree that the models in VII have a certain style, and your old ones stuck to that style.  I realize people are trying to change the old one into Advent Children...but I've always wanted VII to have models like VIII, and those would have been perfect.  Just like the battle models...also play as the original purple Cloud, not the one with the Sephiroth battle.  It makes me smile just thinking about it :).  I guess that was just a pipe dream.

I mean weren't you guys really close to finishing?  I love how people polish old games, but they seem to never finish what they started because they always find newer and 'better' ways to mod.  I'm surprised no one agrees with me...I mean if you do please speak your mind.  I'm also speaking to you lurkers.

And what's with all these "if you don't like it don't use it" posts.  It's just constructive criticism.  I DO like it.  I love it in fact.  "A few naysayers"  I am not a 'naysayer'.  And there aren't even a few.  I'm the only one.  "Suggest in a way to not piss of the artist"  That's ridiculous.  If you could, please tell me how I should have suggested it.  I was not trying to be impolite.  "Don't like it?  Fine, they aren't in sweat shops making the patches for us...."  OK 'Otokoshi'.  That just made me laugh.  You can't be serious.  Sweat shops?  Because of one suggestion out of the 40 pages of compliments?

Anyway Storm, I wasn't suggesting that you should quit just because I didn't give you a compliment on the newer models like everyone else.  Isn't that a little dramatic?  I mean I haven't seen a post directed towards your work that is not a compliment.  I realize you are proud of your new accomplishment in 3D Studio, and it is very nice work.  You are an artist.  I apologize.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/theicefox/pic.jpg  -  those are fantastic

http://spinningcone.com/ff/stormmedia/npc_project/screen/n_cloud_sk_front.jpg

Post Statement

Hey Boarde and Ice, perhaps you could finish this project with the old models if Storm is still determined to do it the new way?  I mean there can be two patches right?  ;)
I'm guessing you'll lean towards no because I read this post over again.  "Personally I'd have the sword removed, but it looks like most people like it that way so that's not going to happen."

Please don't hate me for this post too.  FFVII is my favorite game ever and honestly, if they remade it for the PS3 I would still like the old one better because of the nostalgia and style.  The only thing I did not like about it were the field models.  And when I saw this patch I was so excited.  It has been a very long time and I have not been impatient.  I was just hoping it would not go down this road.
« Last Edit: 2007-07-04 10:04:05 by Changeling »

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #841 on: 2007-07-04 10:10:45 »
WOWOWOW stop right there

storm only doing the model's that way, to help him get better at hi-res model. To get a job and school

Me and Boarde are not changing the way we do them.

Your reading to much in to this, you see one of us trying some higher res model, thinking that we all are.

The patch is no-where near done, by the way

We got the Battle.lgp, mini-game's, magic.lgp and the clean up

Thrashamatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #842 on: 2007-07-04 11:19:13 »
 :roll: Listen guy go outside and play or something, just relax and focus on something else.... Back on topic... Storm, what program are you using for the converting?

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #843 on: 2007-07-04 12:56:45 »
Well Changeling, I understand your point. But you must take care that this project is way too big. We will finish it, but you can't expect us to keep an unified style through the whole project. As ice_cold513 we aren't anywhere close to finishing and, even when we finish the last model, we will have to update the older ones. Our main goal is to have a patch with all the model upgraded (somewhat). After that's done, we will see what we do.

PD: Boarde?! Awwww... I'm not a boar! :-P

stormmedia

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: 2007-07-05 02:11:51 »
Changeling:

I want to say that this wasn't some kind of "threat", or because I'm mad at anyone when I asked if you wanted me to leave.  I will try to say it the more simple and accurate I can.  I have a life outside the NPC.  I actually don't have much time to work on the NPC.  Unfortunately,  with the work, the college... and even friends for that matter, I don't have much time left for anything else.  Now, Add to this list that I must also practice my skills on 3ds max to get better on it.  Now my schedule is overloaded!  Oups..... no time left for the NPC, that's too bad.  Fortunately I found a solution.  I can do both the NPC and improving my 3ds max skills in one move by doing my models with 3ds and import them to FF7.  Unfortunately, some people (yes "some" you are not the only one) don't like the fact that I do too much details.  Although I try as hard as I can to make them the more suitable for the game I can, I must put some realism on them or else it won't help me getting any better in 3ds max.  Got my point so far ??

I just don't have enough time to do both NPC and 3ds practices.  My priority is 3ds practices.  So if I can't do both of them in a single move, then I won't be working on the NPC anymore.  Since I care about what everyone think or want in this patch, I asked everyone to tell me if they want me to leave or not.  Do you understand more now ?  I won't be leaving unless people want to.

That's all...
« Last Edit: 2007-07-05 02:14:44 by stormmedia »

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: 2007-07-05 03:46:54 »
I could use some modelers,skinners for my WWII mod, if you need some practice modeling Theres plenty of tanks, infantry weapons to be modeled. Mind you the need to be historically accurate  :wink:. If your interested gimme a shout.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: 2007-07-05 04:41:32 »
Maybe...finished what you started?  I don't know...

I mean weren't you guys really close to finishing?  I love how people polish old games, but they seem to never finish what they started because they always find newer and 'better' ways to mod.  I'm surprised no one agrees with me...I mean if you do please speak your mind.

I do agree with this second remark.  Many of the most anticipated mods never finish because those developing them feel the need to "polish" it more until the team is worn out or everyone loses interest.  The second comment conveys your point more clearly.  You're known for many valued constructive posts on the forum, the only reason I responded is because your first comment didn't appear to be very constructive.

"Don't like it?  Fine, they aren't in sweat shops making the patches for us...."  OK 'Otokoshi'.  That just made me laugh.  You can't be serious.  Sweat shops?  Because of one suggestion out of the 40 pages of compliments?

That's right, I wasn't trying to be serious.  I hoped someone would laugh at it, and I'm glad you did.  I wasn't going to flame on you, but your first "suggestion" in a nutshell was "I don't like the new style and finish it the way I like it."  At least that is how it came off to me, which is why I commented.  I understand your view better and no worries.  We're all looking forward to NPC RP 1.0 one day, no reason to get up in arms right?  :-D

Back on topic:

I'm really liking the 3ds Max works storm, keep it up!

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: 2007-07-10 07:07:23 »
No update sorry, i been working on the Sephiroth patch
see what i can do, about the a update for the NPC RP soon

Side note
If your having trouble with making a new LGP file, with LGPTool

Try this

Highwind 1.20
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6389.0

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #848 on: 2007-08-07 08:51:30 »
I'm surprised no one agrees with me...I mean if you do please speak your mind.

Hey guys, I thought id comment again on this project. The last comment I made was about the changing of the potion bottle, I basically said that the idea you had at the start (reusing battle model parts to recreate the NPC's) was good and stayed true to the overall look of the mod and the game, and that putting in your own bits would upset that look.

Some people agreed, some didnt, but the comment was generally taken as a complaint, but it wasnt, it was constructive criticism.

However, the work that these guys have put into this project is something else. It is their project. It really is up to them whether they listen or not, but the project leaders and their followers should ease up on anything critical being said about their work, critics can be useful and point out valid points (especially FFVII fans :p). So yeah changeling, I agree with you that the mod should have a uniform FFVII look to it, but we are not the ones doing the mod and its made painfully obvious that we are not the ones doing the mod, here are the replies to the bottle mod:

ice_cold:
"ppl are so little nit picker's now days and seem to forget the fact that we don't get pay for this WE DO THIS COS WE WANT TOO or the how hard it is when you got things to do"

Stormmedia:
"however.... I think it's weird when ppl start complaning about the fact that it's not like the original..... I mean.... the goal of this project is to improve the models right ?? That's for sure that we try to make the model the more "similar" to the original ones... but these days as soon as a new model is made there is at least one person to tell us that it's not enough like the original one... if you don't want to change the game at all... just don't bother to install this patch... that was my opinion... we are here to improve the game... if you want to keep the old model fair enough... but it's not what we want..."

Anyway, again this is just my 2 cents. I think the project leaders should at least not cut down people who try and put across valid points.

As always, im very happy with what you guys are doing here and this project is one of the reasons I come back here now and then, your doing good work and im looking forward to play with the finished mod. Thanks for your hard work!

@Stormmedia, Best of luck with your adventures with 3ds max, im starting to use it and its pretty darn sweet :)

Darkever

« Reply #849 on: 2007-08-12 18:54:32 »
Sorry if this question may seem stupid...
Are the field models for the main characters the same as the combat models, or are they further improved?
I ask because, while playing, I had the sensation that the field models looked much better than the combat models.
It's just me or is it really that way?