Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Higher Resolution - Part II (v1.00)(Discontinued, use Aali's driver)  (Read 283126 times)

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: [Release] Higher Resolution FFVIIPC [v1.00] - Part II
« Reply #350 on: 2007-12-26 02:12:56 »
Even if you didn't "turn on" AA or AF your video card by default probably runs them.  Open up your video card configuration utility and make sure it isn't "always on" or the other option where it turns it on if the game supports it.  That will fix your blocky graphics.

Bugenhagen

« Reply #351 on: 2007-12-27 23:32:39 »
Even if you didn't "turn on" AA or AF your video card by default probably runs them.  Open up your video card configuration utility and make sure it isn't "always on" or the other option where it turns it on if the game supports it.  That will fix your blocky graphics.

Well, i don't even have a tool on my computer where you can choose either if you want AA/AF or not. But I will install the nVidia tool to have a look and will tell you, how it did.

Mfg Bugenhagen

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 2007-12-29 22:30:22 »
What exactly is the cause of certain battle animations and the opening credits messing up? The credits make it really interesting, since it makes me wonder if perhaps it's actually a "battle animation" itself. If that's the case, maybe the animation file can be played with, and a compatibility patch can be created for the Hi-Res?

EDIT - I just painfully read through all the Hi-Res threads. Perhaps it's not so simple, but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: 2007-12-29 23:23:52 by Tsetra »

accura_demon

« Reply #353 on: 2008-01-10 14:38:48 »
ok heres the deal....
ma pc------->pen 4 2.4mhz,512mb ram,ati 9600pro,win xp+sp2
i install ff7 i apply 1.02 patch i go to cofig i put tnt on n the game runs perfect...
then i apply resolution patch but wen i try to run the game in xp mode it opens n closes in 1 sec
n if i change to win 98 mode i gt a black screen n i hav to close it from task manager....
i hav a widescreen lg if hs to do wit the resolution...
oo also if i apply the xp patch the game runs but i can only see cloud n everythin else is fuked up..
i tried also to open fsaa manually from catalyst panel but on the game i had some weird lines on the texture...
ne clue coz i hav spent like 10 hours n still nothin

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #354 on: 2008-01-10 17:17:13 »
Its bcoz ur widescreen dsnt support teh reqired resloution.

megarushing

« Reply #355 on: 2008-01-17 21:37:35 »
Hi, I recently found a fix for this game flashing black instead of starting problem, this is how i did:

This happens mostly when people have the high res patch installed and some LCD monitors, when you try to open up the game it just flashes a black screen and closes itself instantly, or the screen keeps black when ran in compatibility mode having to ctrl+alt+del their way out, the solution to this is to acess control panel> display properties > Configs tab > Advanced > Monitor tab and uncheck the "Hide Modes this monitor cannot display".
 An alternate solution to this is to download the "Cetra" from Ficedula´s site and apply the windowed mode patch, or maybe use ff7w. this will prevent ff7 from changing the resolution.

Hope this helps  :wink:

dante66

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: 2008-01-18 10:29:56 »
Will there ever be new resolutions released for this patch? At the minute, my HDTV will only run at 1024 x 768 for the PC due to the VGA lead, until I get a HDMI lead and a new computer which could be like another year. I think the size is like one too high for me, any chance of getting moaaaar?

Thanks.

Changeling

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #357 on: 2008-02-03 10:03:58 »
I second that.  I'm outputting to an old television because the backgrounds look perfect on it.  (Most of my favorite games have 2D) The reason I don't just play at the regular resolution is because of no anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering.  I have an ATI card and it creates those lines.

1024x768!

Maybe magixts can do it if The Saint doesn't want to.  He created the FF8 high resolution patch, so why couldn't he make a few modifications to the existing patch?

Are you reading this magix? ;)
« Last Edit: 2008-02-03 10:07:27 by Changeling »

D-vide

« Reply #358 on: 2008-03-05 13:24:05 »
I have a problem!

I made a print screen but the computer somehow forgot my prtscr. anyway...

I do a fresh install of FFVII, Apply the 1.02 patch and then the high resolution patch.. now what i do next: set my config to 640x400 full, Nvidia settings to TNT and render with direct3d hardware acceleration.

when i start the game now, all my characters are fully black. the the polygons are in place but are in no other color then black. backgrounds work, special fx work. but my characters are black... :( and when the first boss fight starts, it crashes

how do i fix this?
~David

Zerberbuth

« Reply #359 on: 2008-03-08 13:22:52 »
I have a problem!

I made a print screen but the computer somehow forgot my prtscr. anyway...

I do a fresh install of FFVII, Apply the 1.02 patch and then the high resolution patch.. now what i do next: set my config to 640x400 full, Nvidia settings to TNT and render with direct3d hardware acceleration.

when i start the game now, all my characters are fully black. the the polygons are in place but are in no other color then black. backgrounds work, special fx work. but my characters are black... :( and when the first boss fight starts, it crashes

how do i fix this?
~David

You can't fix it. Your hardware is too recent and does not support 8-bit palletized textures. It's ancient technology that's been removed from drivers recently to optimize code. Therefore running the game in D3D mode will result in the game not displaying any textures. The only way this may be fixed is if your graphics card company decides to reinstate 8-bit palletized textures or for you to use an older graphic cards.

I'm unsure if using very old drivers will work on newer cards. I doubt this is something that can be fixed with a game patch. If you uninstall the High res patch and run the game in software mode the game will still work though. However you will obviously not benefit from higher resolutions or Anti-Aliasing.

Kai

« Reply #360 on: 2008-03-09 01:17:16 »
I'm having a problem with this patch crashing the game immediately on startup.

My system specs:

Fresh installed Windows XP SP2 with all patches from Windows Update
1GB RAM
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Shuttle SN45G (using nForce platform drivers 5.10)
NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4400 (driver version 93.71)
No antivirus software installed
BenQ FP937s LCD Monitor (Native resolution of 1280x1024)

I purchased my copy of FF7 many years ago, in the UK - I don't know if this makes any difference to the US version, but it's all in English.

I have installed the game without the DirectX 5 or any of the Yamaha sound software, just the game itself. I have updated to version 1.02 through this forum and replaced the two executables. If I run the configuration utility to set he graphics, I can only choose 'Sotware Renderer' and under the section 'Required 3D Features for Direct3D', everything is marked as 'Fail' except for '8-bit Paletted Textures', which is a 'Pass'. I cannot check the NVidia checkbox or select either RIVA 128 or TNT. I can choose any of the display resolutions and the game will run ok at any of those resolutions.

The problem occurs when I try using the Saint's High Res Patch v1.00. After updating FF7.exe successfully with the 1280x960 patch (or both), FF7 just crashes on startup, citing a runtime error with FF7.exe. I do notice that the taskbar displays 'The Saints High Res etc.' as the task, so it's obviously trying to start the game up using high resolution.

The exact error message is: ff7.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. More information about the error:

AppNameL ff7.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ff7.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0029be7a

I have tried running ff7.exe under compatibility mode, which just gives me the same error.

I did read through the FAQ and also go hold of Rivatuner to turn off 8-bit Paletted Textures, but even after restart, the configuration utility still shows 8-bit paletted textures as a pass.

Has anyone come across this problem?

Aspergius

« Reply #361 on: 2008-03-09 15:18:08 »
Hi guys...its nice to see so many FF7 fans! Been one since i was 11.

Anyways......ive been trying for 3 days now to get this patch working...and finally made it!! YAAAAAY

But the thing is when i start the game the bottom of the screen gets cut off. its probably because i play with a laptop (15 inch)
So i wanted to ask if there anyway i can play this in hi res.... i mean that the characters dont look like crap but the game to actually fit my screen.

Well i hope you can help me. COZ I REALLY WANNA PLAY THIS AGAIN....after years and years.

peace..

mavirick

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 2008-03-09 18:31:05 »
Have you tried both patch resolutions? There is a 1280x1024 patch that usually causes the black bar (but works better with many LCD's) in addition to the regular patch. I would think that on a laptop the normal patch would work well with your laptop, but try both and see if one fixes your problem.

Good luck,
Mav

Aspergius

« Reply #363 on: 2008-03-09 23:44:37 »
yes i actually tried both of them!! well if i did everything right!! :roll:
i guess its not that big of a problem..... i just adjust the screen with the mouse! gets cut off a bit ( like i cant see in the menu in which place i am at the moment.)

and im sure its not possible for me to play on 1280 x 960 coz i can only go upto 1280 x 800 ( a real BUGGER).

well ....been playin it and i must say....its a beaut playing it again especially with the nps recontruction patch!!

the sector 7 plate just fell down...hehe   :cry:

Rufus95

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 2008-06-29 18:38:48 »
did't work for me

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 2008-06-30 02:27:38 »
I still don't understand why he made this patch ultra-high resolution only. No normal 1000$ laptop displays above 1280x800 resolution. 1280x900 isn't even a proper widescreen resolution. 16:9 is 1280x720 and widescreen on computers is 1280x800. 1280x900 is only for people who have the next-highest resolution, which are only desktop computers or very expensive laptops.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #366 on: 2008-06-30 07:44:37 »
Because it was easier to scale by a factor of 2?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 2008-06-30 07:59:43 »
Yeah I guess it makes sense why he just made a quick widescreen mode, but it would've been nice if there was a laptop-friendly version. But I'm not asking for anything. I'm ok in the standard 640x480 resolution.

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 2008-07-15 15:24:19 »
I may be wrong, but wasn't it possible to run this patch even if the resolution wasn't supported using the windowed mode mod? The image would get cut, of course.
As for adding new resolution, if I understand correctly what The Saint did, it's just not posible using the same method.

icawn

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 2008-07-19 10:34:40 »
i have a $1000 laptop and the native resolution is 1920x1200.   inspiron 9300.  i bought it about 3 years ago.  tho i dont think he'd ever make a version to support my native resolution.  my native looks 90x better than any other res in anything i do.

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #370 on: 2008-07-19 12:10:19 »
I may be wrong, but wasn't it possible to run this patch even if the resolution wasn't supported using the windowed mode mod? The image would get cut, of course.
As for adding new resolution, if I understand correctly what The Saint did, it's just not posible using the same method.
Yes.
I've been doing that on my old laptop with a res. of 1280x800.

riryoku

• Aim: All Girl FF7
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 2008-12-08 22:00:32 »
I would just like to express my extreme gratitude to Saint for this patch and to all the other members of this site and across the FF modding community for their amazing deeds. People like you help keep this game alive.  8-)

I got shivers after seeing what this patch can do. <3

Bluegrass79

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 2008-12-28 19:34:40 »
I cannot get the patch to work without the game freezing on the first transition to battle screen. Freezes everytime and ive tried changing just about everything. Anybody got a clue why I freeze going into battle with the rez patch?
« Last Edit: 2008-12-28 19:39:36 by Bluegrass79 »

sandstone_cowboy

« Reply #373 on: 2009-01-05 22:52:30 »
hey everyone. i was wondering if the link at the beginning of the discussion is the latest patch. if not, would someone add one/point me in the right direction?

oh, and one more thing - my laptop (only computer i have) runs in 1280x768 should i use a window-ing patch, or what? i've looked through the 15 or so pages, but haven't been able to come up with a concrete answer. if this is so, then could someone point me in the right direction for that as well?

many thanks to y'all for any help i can get.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 2009-02-11 13:42:00 »
Edit: Crap, my mistake. This post is spam and should be deleted.