Author Topic: There's a FF7 Disassembly?  (Read 3424 times)

MysticLord

• View Profile
There's a FF7 Disassembly?
« on: 2020-05-05 04:58:39 »
While gawping at a thread where a certain user who shall remain unnamed did as such , I noticed that quantumpencil mentioned that there's a disassembly of the game.

quantumpencil said...
My dissassembly of the game is open source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm705Itp2OU

Where can I find this?
« Last Edit: 2020-05-05 05:01:47 by MysticLord »

quantumpencil

• View Profile
Re: There's a FF7 Disassembly?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-05 06:03:14 »
https://github.com/FFT-Hackers/FF7-Disassembly

Requires IDA-Tools at the same repo. Out of date also (No one was using it so I got lazy about updating it), I have much more reversing done, if you are interested I will update the repo in the morning. I ask only that you sync any new discoveries you happen to make and submit PRs.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-05 06:07:43 by quantumpencil »

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-05-05 06:11:07 »
I'm not really equipped to do much reverse-engineering, especially if this is the PC version, but someone is probably interested. If it doesn't cost you much go ahead and do it.

chestertonic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-05-05 20:56:04 »
Although I'm pretty new to ff7 modding I'd definitely appreciate an updated disassembly. Would happily PR anything I find.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2020-05-05 21:02:35 »
Better question is how do I apply this disassembly and extract my own?

quantumpencil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-05-05 21:29:02 »
Hey man, let me push my changes first (I have a bunch of other stuff that needs sync'd, reversing work on the focus/camera stuff, etc pertaining to the playable summons mod and such)

EDIT: Updated with like a years worth of stuff lol.

Then you can go here https://github.com/FFT-Hackers/IDA-Tools

download and install these plugins as per the readme, and you can load/apply the json sync file to your own disasm, make any edits contributions, write those changes to a new ida-sync json file and add to the PR. Similarly you can export your disasm using produce-file without applying this one.

Sadly this disassembly does not conform to a consistent convention for naming structs (It conforms to several, depending on when I reversed that part lol), etc. I'd love to have a community one where we put some guidelines in place regarding style, comments, etc at some point.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-05 21:37:39 by quantumpencil »

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-07-10 22:24:45 »
Have you made any unpushed progress on your disassemblies and tools for FF6, FFT-WOTL, and other games?