Author Topic: Barret model  (Read 64848 times)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
Barret model
« on: 2009-06-23 00:35:26 »
I started a custom model thread many months ago, but alas zombies are evil...

This work is largely inspired by APZ's cloud model. To continue his style and idea, I whipped up a barret model in a few hours and voila!

I know, he has two hands (its mirrored atm) and untextured... millenia may help me with that. Nor is it chopped up... i'll leave that til later.

criticism is appreciated (i'm not an expert on barret's design so any help would be great)

thx to neo cloud for ref material.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
Re: Barret model
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-23 00:40:16 »
For an early design, that actually kicks ass.

Yuffie_Lover

« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-23 00:52:03 »
THis is good!
Did you do this in Blender???

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-23 01:26:59 »
Nah its gonna be textued to match apz's cloud style. I've since optimized it a bit, took out a bunch of useless polies. havnt fixed the hand yet, gonna make sure everythign is awesome before i remove the mirror.

Edit: yes yuffie i did do it in blender, i do most of my work in blender, but am trying to learn maya (that program is a B****)

Yuffie_Lover

« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-23 01:29:47 »
Blender is confusing me lol..
thats why i asked.

I am working on a project my self.. to implement CC and Dissidia.. and other games models into FF7

so i can effectively join the CC mod here (the one NeoCloudStrife.. and Ultima Espio are making) and pull my own weight lol.

But your model is amazing! For a first draft that is,
I can't wait to see more!

With Love,
Yuffie

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-23 01:57:47 »
Wow, look what Squeeble started!  :lol: I only took his idea and ran with it and look what happened! This is awesome!

but timu sumisu in true form I have some criticism. It's only fair right?

As far as using him in game, that makes it difficult because the game proportions are so skewed. I'd try to find a medium between the gorilla proportion and the man proportions. Taking alittle bit of the Advent Children Barret, but this is a tougher call than with Cloud!

But I'm sure you can do it! You helped me to shape mine!  :wink:

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-23 02:05:11 »
Actually, this is scaled exactly to the ingame model... so thats not to worry. its a lil less extreme i find, so thats that... i'd like specific crits so i know exactly /what/ to fix...

and apz: i've been lookin at yer cloud mesh and you ahve 2 big things to fix... his biceps are flat, beef him up... srsly... big time. cloud has rediculous arms... second the big belt on his back (should belts) is floating out and thorugh the pauldron... it should be tight to the body... ^^

Anyhow keep up the criticism guys... what needs to be fixed?!!

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-23 02:09:00 »
If I absolutely must critique this,  then make his head a little bigger.  As it is his hand is twice the size of his head

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-06-23 03:07:43 »
Does this mean you'll be part of the AVHD or you're gonna have different releases?
I just think that helping each other would make the project much faster instead of having all these different Barrets to choose from.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-06-23 03:30:04 »
I am not currently  working with viashino. the difference between projects is largely in terms of art direction. he is goin more realistic, and i am making an anime compromise, if that makes sense.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-06-23 04:49:04 »
Since you like anime style, do you like Chibi models?

Will yours be cel-shaded? So you are gonna make all of the main characters just like them?

Hmmmm anime like would be a good choice too. I can imagine them cel-shaded just like Barret's picture, It will kinda blend with the lowres background.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-23 04:52:53 by moses7 »

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-06-23 07:59:45 »
Great work man!
Here is CG Barret:

If yours Barret will looks like this,that's would be GREAT! :roll:
You concept looks more to original Tetsuya Nomura style!I like it more then viashino's "realistic" style

apz freak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-06-23 08:18:27 »
and apz: i've been lookin at yer cloud mesh and you ahve 2 big things to fix... his biceps are flat, beef him up... srsly... big time. cloud has rediculous arms... second the big belt on his back (should belts) is floating out and thorugh the pauldron... it should be tight to the body... ^^
Anyhow keep up the criticism guys... what needs to be fixed?!!

Well i think it's good enough for a texture now! We'll see after that. More specifically I'm talking about how he has HUMONGOUS boots, and it bothers me! Perhaps trying a slightly more thinner limbed version to see how it works? But it may be what you're going for.

And as far as the arms go... (You always find a way to slightly make me defensive but always appreciative :wink: ) I made them hastily and for some reason never looked at them until recently! But this bothered the hell out of me once I started paying close attention to the way he looks in game. Actually (And I know you won't believe me) This is something I have recently just fixed. Or to put it this way, fixed to where it makes 'me' happy!

The Suspender/harness you mean? That's something bothering me too, I modeled it separately, and after seeing just how far it sticks out, I always meant to go back and fuse it to his body but keep it raised. Except the bottem part that sticks out, it's supposed to! That was lon my list of things I noticed and meant to fiddle with... but forgot :-) Thanks for reminding me! But I can't fix the separate parts intersecting each other without making it much larger, and that bothers me.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-23 08:34:57 by apz freak »

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009-06-23 12:50:51 »
I'm at work today, but tonight, i'll try and make a skinnier (ACish) barret, and see how it compares. The lot of you can vouch for which you prefer (i suppose i get the final choice nehow :P) And I'll start on texture work. As to the style issue think of it like this... APZ made his cloud... I like that cloud, and as far as i know he is not doing the rest of the characters... therefor what i'm doin is filling the gap. Stylistically its anime-ish, yet somewhat realistic. My point is to not forget the anime roots of the game, where SE has now made it a more realistic artstyle. I really like chibis for field :P. So yer all gonna be stuck with a barret whose fist is the size of tifa's upper body! I will be eventually doing the main cast, unless apz or someone else of comparable skill and measure decideds to pitch in to the work flow. The long work for me is texturing, so that'll be the lull in my work... modeling is easy :D. I will need help inserting characters into the game eventually... cuz i'm a total noob at that.

To those who are wondering, i'm doing the main characters in order of appearance, followed by the optional characters, and lastly an /extra/ main character.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009-06-23 12:59:16 »
My point is to not forget the anime roots of the game, where SE has now made it a more realistic artstyle. I really like chibis for field :P. So yer all gonna be stuck with a barret whose fist is the size of tifa's upper body!

Yay!  :-D

I will be eventually doing the main cast, unless apz or someone else of comparable skill and measure decideds to pitch in to the work flow.

Double yay!  :-D  :-D

To those who are wondering, i'm doing the main characters in order of appearance, followed by the optional characters, and lastly an /extra/ main character.

An extra character? I wonder who that will be  :-P

And I'm very pleased that someone is doing Barret; as I've said quite a few times, the characters that need the least modding work get the most attention, whereas the ones that really need some fan-made models (i.e. the ones that don't have mods already and can't be ripped from other Squeenix games) get ignored.

Keep up with the Barret mod  :-)

koral

« Reply #15 on: 2009-06-23 14:10:09 »
nice Barret!  :-D
I dont see anything too wrong with it, but you might want to watch his shoulders, they are rather large compared with other characters, so you might have to make his arms separtly or something.

moses7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009-06-23 14:18:30 »
APZ made his cloud... I like that cloud, and as far as i know he is not doing the rest of the characters... therefor what i'm doin is filling the gap. Stylistically its anime-ish, yet somewhat realistic.

Nice nice nice, I thought you're gonna create really anime like models, making Apz like models are the best.
Helping or Continuing Apz Work is the best decision you have made.

Viashino's good to, maybe Apz will be the middle man of the designs, since your style is different to Viashino's  but Viashino gets his work checked by Apz first.

Ummm, :-D you gonna help making the Chibi's?

Coz Viashino prefers Tall ones and Apz is kinda busy to make all the CHIBI's.

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-06-23 14:24:05 »
CHIBIS FTW!!!

yes... i want chibis, and i will make them. If i'm not mistaken I can just rescale the full model to the chibi scale (is that not what apz did?) and i'd scale it to match the original chibi... just with slightly different proportion

drfeelgud88

• da DOC iz here!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #19 on: 2009-06-23 19:59:57 »
u rreally love barret dont u myst6re? lol jk looks nice  :-)

koral

« Reply #20 on: 2009-06-23 22:44:49 »
I dont blame him/her.
We hardly see or hear anything GOOD about Barret anway, this is quite a surprising opportunity to let loose a little.

Just curious, but myst6re, how do you perceive Barret's character?
Do you think his "Mr T" type personality in the English FF7 was acceptable?

You dont have to answer if you dont want to.  :-)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009-06-24 00:38:54 »
here is an alternate proportion of barret, fitting kind of to the AC design, tell me what you think (its not very cleaned up, just scaled to have a diff silhouette.)

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009-06-24 01:08:30 »
For your new one, shorten his legs and arms some and add some more to his chest, and you're in business  :-)

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009-06-24 01:20:20 »
hows this?

Timu Sumisu

• The Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009-06-24 02:12:45 »
i didnt do it too extreme, i could do it more..