Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4838118 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.5)
« Reply #9950 on: 2020-08-02 19:12:25 »
Hey Sega, I've just updated to the latest version, and stats on the Materia are drastically different. All Green Materia all have positive stats. All the Materia seems to be more positive than negative.

Equipping a Sense gives me +10 Dex and +5 Luck, but that's the only different one from all the other Command Materia I have, the rest increase Strength and Dex and decrease Magic and MaxMP.

Those are the intended values; it sounds like the install you had before updating was running on an unpatched .exe. That shouldn't affect anything within the save file though so all should be well.

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: 2020-08-02 19:13:49 »
started playing with 2.0 FINALLY FUCKING CHANGED CLOUD passive i LOVE YOU sega chief game feels refreshng a VERY WELCOME change on spells and passive. VERY NICE WORK i totally upvote this as best ffvii mod! :D

EternalLykaios

• View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: 2020-08-02 19:25:48 »
Those are the intended values; it sounds like the install you had before updating was running on an unpatched .exe. That shouldn't affect anything within the save file though so all should be well.

Ah awesome, I just wanted to double-check. Just odd that every install I used didn't update the materia stats. And then all of a sudden everything changed. I didn't want to play on just in case. Cheers mate!

Asherdoom

• View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: 2020-08-02 20:35:42 »
sega chief

sorry i checkd documentation and did not understand yet
is normal that materias gives such penalties?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: 2020-08-02 20:42:47 »
sega chief

sorry i checkd documentation and did not understand yet
is normal that materias gives such penalties?

Yeah that looks right.

karenjr95

• View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: 2020-08-02 21:19:16 »
I'm trying to figure out which formation it is you're referring to; I think its Wind Wings but there's only two formations they appear in with 3 enemies; one is a Wind Wing x2 + Ironite x1, and the other is a pincer with 3x Wind Wings. I renamed Sham Seal to Cyclone Slash to infer its wind element, and I'm guessing 'Enemy Skill Whirlwind Gale' refers to Aero3 maybe? Both of these are magic-based attacks, so MBarrier would be needed instead.

If it's 3x Wind Wings you're fighting, then it sounds like the battle ID from the previous round is off by 1 and loading a pincer instead of the intended 2x Wind Wing and 1x Ironite; if they're first-turning consistently then this would probably be why as enemy ATB starts full in a pincer. I'll have a look at the Battle IDs to see if this is what's happening; it'll need to be fixed if it is as this pincer battle doesn't lead onto an 8th round.

Edit: I can't immediately see a formation pointing to the pincer in the 6th round fights of either bracket. Could you let me know what the enemies look like, and what the 6th round enemies leading to this 7th round fight are/looked like?

Edit2: Forgot to ask, is this 1.5 or 2.0? If it's 1.5 then that'd explain it always being the same 7th round fight + the old attack names.

Cheers.

You hit the nail on the head as usual. The wild wing x2 and ironite, normal battle formation. I will try mBarrier and see if that helps weather this round, thanks!

karenjr95

• View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: 2020-08-02 21:30:20 »
One more question, since I haven't been able find it discussed in this thread. Is it still recommended to use the new version of New Threat on a new game, rather than going from say, 1.5 to 2.0 mid playthrough?

Does the new version of the Mod have a way to 'migrate' playthroughs'?

For example, would I miss out on content that I already picked up, if it has moved since the previous version?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: 2020-08-02 21:51:58 »
You hit the nail on the head as usual. The wild wing x2 and ironite, normal battle formation. I will try mBarrier and see if that helps weather this round, thanks!

I'll migrate the encounter to a 2x wind wing.

One more question, since I haven't been able find it discussed in this thread. Is it still recommended to use the new version of New Threat on a new game, rather than going from say, 1.5 to 2.0 mid playthrough?

Does the new version of the Mod have a way to 'migrate' playthroughs'?

For example, would I miss out on content that I already picked up, if it has moved since the previous version?

2.0 and 1.5 should be started on new playthroughs; save files shouldn't be transferred across the two versions.

gnollboll

• View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: 2020-08-02 22:20:15 »
I noticed in Golden Saucer when you buy the mystery prices for GP, that if you buy the ???? Materia first the ???? Weapon becomes unavailable to purchase, I hard closed the game and gonna pick it up tomorrow again but I wouldn't want to lose out on whatever weapon that might be

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: 2020-08-02 22:47:21 »
I noticed in Golden Saucer when you buy the mystery prices for GP, that if you buy the ???? Materia first the ???? Weapon becomes unavailable to purchase, I hard closed the game and gonna pick it up tomorrow again but I wouldn't want to lose out on whatever weapon that might be

I think I added an extra buy option so maybe it's jumping past it, will check.

SwordofAeons

• View Profile
« Reply #9960 on: 2020-08-02 23:45:43 »
I was getting a crash at the start of the midgar escape motorbike sequence that I traced to Grimmy's textures in the Qhimm minigames IRO.  If you get someone else with the problem, switching the textures to "0 - No Change" fixes it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: 2020-08-03 00:57:44 »
I was getting a crash at the start of the midgar escape motorbike sequence that I traced to Grimmy's textures in the Qhimm minigames IRO.  If you get someone else with the problem, switching the textures to "0 - No Change" fixes it.

Ah cheers; will do.

chimaerath

• View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: 2020-08-03 01:11:40 »
Did you change the percents for 3D Battler leading up to 2.0? Your first-post notes say it's a 50% chance to win the entire thing, so it's possible I'm hitting the 0.1% jackpot, but I feel like I've done ~10 attempts, and only faced the 5th challenger once (at which point I got one successful hit on before I lost). If it's working as intended, I just need to get over it.

Is it intended for Cait Sith's innate to allow him to have higher MP than his maximum? [His/Her/Its] innate ticks MP even when [he/she/it]'s at max MP. It's helpful and I'm fine with it staying, but I thought the base game didn't intend for characters to have higher HP/MP than maximum (plus it breaks the idea of "maximum" for me). I dug through older posts, and saw that he used to have an innate that, while Defending, MP can go above maximum, but couldn't find if/when it was switched to apply to non-Defending ticks as well.

Thank you.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: 2020-08-03 02:21:28 »
Did you change the percents for 3D Battler leading up to 2.0? Your first-post notes say it's a 50% chance to win the entire thing, so it's possible I'm hitting the 0.1% jackpot, but I feel like I've done ~10 attempts, and only faced the 5th challenger once (at which point I got one successful hit on before I lost). If it's working as intended, I just need to get over it.

Is it intended for Cait Sith's innate to allow him to have higher MP than his maximum? [His/Her/Its] innate ticks MP even when [he/she/it]'s at max MP. It's helpful and I'm fine with it staying, but I thought the base game didn't intend for characters to have higher HP/MP than maximum (plus it breaks the idea of "maximum" for me). I dug through older posts, and saw that he used to have an innate that, while Defending, MP can go above maximum, but couldn't find if/when it was switched to apply to non-Defending ticks as well.

Thank you.

Oh, it's not 50% for the whole thing, it's roughly 50% for each round (except for the 1st one, which is high 90s). Each round is a copy of the 2nd round's script which is a 33% chance to either hit, match, or miss. The underlying gameplay mechanic of it is still quite poor (it doesn't matter, for instance, if you press the same button for the entire thing) but I wanted to at least fix the script and have it be feasible to win it. I guess it's like getting Heads on a coin toss 4 times in a row, about 6.25% (just over 1 in 20).

Checking it, seems that I've got a cap in place for when it's party MP being raised but not his 'standard' self MP regen. I'll see about adding a max cap to that part as well, I've some space left in kernel AI for it.

PokeFaize

• View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: 2020-08-03 02:52:55 »
Made it to Shinra Mansion and stumbled across a peculiar softlock. Hitting Ying & Yang with a summon made the game softlock (and the two parts desync in movements). I think the game was trying to pull up the "Ying/Yang is excited!" thing, but failed.

Also, gotta say the White Megaphone only having one materia slot at double growth is a pretty harsh nerf to it. I'd say 2 slots at triple growth or 3 slots at double growth is a pretty adequate way to balance out having an easy MP Refill weapon without heavily limiting Cait's options for battle, and better make up for fewer Materia slots for Materia levelling.

xenofears

• View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: 2020-08-03 12:42:24 »
Think the woman selling items has a main script with like 120-150 frame pauses in it; the line that activates her shop will override it, but if the wait instruction is already running then it can create an awkward pause. Guy with the fridge in the next store is the same, 120-160 frame pauses that may be running when you activate the shop.

Dressmaker in wall market doesn't seem to have any obvious delays on his scripts but there is stuff going on with how events are being handled in there through temporary vars so might be to do with that. I'll make a note of it.

I've had this issue also. The pause with the dressmaker was so long I was about to force close the game.

I have another bug to report: Trying to buy a drink from the machine at Shinra HQ (64 floor) says I don't have enough funds, but I have plenty. I don't think I am missing anything special?

Thanks for this mod!

Ayoyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: 2020-08-03 16:35:23 »
There's so many posts so sorry if this has come up already, but I've still not gotten a single item from morphing a boss and now as I'm clearing the Wutai pagoda I pulled up the enemy items document which does state that these bosses ought to have morphs as well, but I sure didn't get nothing for painstakingly morphing Shake with an underleveled Yuffie. Am I just wasting time here? All boss morphs removed from arrange mode, or something else going on?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: 2020-08-03 16:54:38 »
There's so many posts so sorry if this has come up already, but I've still not gotten a single item from morphing a boss and now as I'm clearing the Wutai pagoda I pulled up the enemy items document which does state that these bosses ought to have morphs as well, but I sure didn't get nothing for painstakingly morphing Shake with an underleveled Yuffie. Am I just wasting time here? All boss morphs removed from arrange mode, or something else going on?

Arrange mode so I'm assuming this is for 1.5; I think the Morphs were changed/dropped over time so that the items document doesn't really match up with what's in there anymore. I'll do a bit of maintenance work on 1.5 once 2.0 is settled down a bit, including an update to the docs for it.

Edit: I think I forgot to respond to some posts:

Made it to Shinra Mansion and stumbled across a peculiar softlock. Hitting Ying & Yang with a summon made the game softlock (and the two parts desync in movements). I think the game was trying to pull up the "Ying/Yang is excited!" thing, but failed.

Also, gotta say the White Megaphone only having one materia slot at double growth is a pretty harsh nerf to it. I'd say 2 slots at triple growth or 3 slots at double growth is a pretty adequate way to balance out having an easy MP Refill weapon without heavily limiting Cait's options for battle, and better make up for fewer Materia slots for Materia levelling.

I had a look and got it this time. Will be in today's patch at 10pm UK time which also unlocks Type B.

I've had this issue also. The pause with the dressmaker was so long I was about to force close the game.

I have another bug to report: Trying to buy a drink from the machine at Shinra HQ (64 floor) says I don't have enough funds, but I have plenty. I don't think I am missing anything special?

Thanks for this mod!

Got the vending machine, still trying to replicate the dressmaker pause though. Just to make sure; it's the old guy wearing the flat cap while he's in the store right? Is he behind the counter or by the dress rack at the time?
« Last Edit: 2020-08-03 17:07:57 by Sega Chief »

Ayoyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: 2020-08-03 17:18:38 »
Cool, although that does still leave me as clueless as ever as to whether I should give up trying to morph the bosses going forward. Do you figure it more likely or unlikely that the bosses don't have them so it'd be best to just forget about it? Since there's nowhere else to check, I'm stuck pestering you about it...

karenjr95

• View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: 2020-08-03 17:19:15 »
I'll migrate the encounter to a 2x wind wing.

2.0 and 1.5 should be started on new playthroughs; save files shouldn't be transferred across the two versions.

Thank you for the clarification!

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: 2020-08-03 17:48:21 »
Cool, although that does still leave me as clueless as ever as to whether I should give up trying to morph the bosses going forward. Do you figure it more likely or unlikely that the bosses don't have them so it'd be best to just forget about it? Since there's nowhere else to check, I'm stuck pestering you about it...

I would abandon Morphing bosses for now.

SwordofAeons

• View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: 2020-08-03 18:04:31 »
Before the Yuffie fight, your party is forced to be Tifa and Aeris, but Red XIII and Barret aren't unequipped.  It was a bit tricky to get through without any of my support magic.

boozek

• View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: 2020-08-03 18:58:15 »
when i change the input default keys in game then what ever guide chat message shows up to press a "key" to do something it shows empty text instead the "key" name for some reasons

Saberfrost

• Professional Moron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: 2020-08-03 19:01:42 »
Ah, two questions before I get around to updating my own files.

Any known crashes in the current patch I should be aware of so I won't stumble on them playing the game normally-ish? (like not going outa my way to make bugs occur or find crashes) I tend to go for long swathes between saves.

And two, are there any enemies capable of casting Magic Breath in Northern Crater at the end-game? My last save file missed it because the only things that could cast it were in the Gaia mountain caves just before you reach the Maze. At that point though it was strong enough to wipe my party so I tried to prevent it being casted. So it locked my file out of being able to 100% the game without sacrificing a mountain / gold chocobo just to get back to the cave.
« Last Edit: 2020-08-03 19:17:52 by Saberfrost »

chimaerath

• View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: 2020-08-03 19:09:02 »
Oh, it's not 50% for the whole thing, it's roughly 50% for each round (except for the 1st one, which is high 90s). Each round is a copy of the 2nd round's script which is a 33% chance to either hit, match, or miss. The underlying gameplay mechanic of it is still quite poor (it doesn't matter, for instance, if you press the same button for the entire thing) but I wanted to at least fix the script and have it be feasible to win it. I guess it's like getting Heads on a coin toss 4 times in a row, about 6.25% (just over 1 in 20).
Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate that it wasn't left as original with a <1% chance, and respect the balancing, even if I personally still hate the randomness. (If I wanted 50% odds, I'd flip a coin, not play a random mini-game within a game that takes ~2 minutes per attempt, and in which I have to flip four heads in a row. I know I'd be in a minority opinion, but I would have favored increasing both the cost and odds of winning, so the expected value of GP is the same).

Sorry to be nitpicky, but in your Features Overview document, could you adjust the wording from "50% chance of winning all rounds" to "50% chance of winning each round"? That's why I had gotten confused.

Thank you again for the great mod. I know these posts highlight bugs, and I just wanted to remind you that overall it's been a great and smooth game. I've only personally found one issue, and and I'm up to the Temple of the Ancients.