Author Topic: FFVIII Hard Edition (Reloaded)  (Read 18740 times)

falkTX

• View Profile
FFVIII Hard Edition (Reloaded)
« on: 2011-07-26 16:25:06 »
Hello everyone!

I'm proud to present my very first mod - Final Fantasy VIII Hard Edition (Reloaded, cause a previous attempt at this has already been made, but never completed).

Information
This mod is for PC only, but feel to try to make it work on PSX (don't ask me how to do it though).
The mod was done with FF8AC and Ifrit tools, by modifying the battle.* files that contained monster data.
Only the monster data were changed, everything else remains the same.

What does it do?
As you guessed, it will make FF8 harder. Battles are at least x3 times harder, with x4-5 for some specific bosses (Ultimecia!).
Not only the enemies HP will rise, but also all their other stats (Strength, Spirit, Speed, etc). Sadly, the enemies will remain stupid...

How hard is it?
Enough to give you a good challenge, but not too much to make it unplayable.
Playing the game from the beginning can be really challenging, but it's possible.

Is it safe to use?
Yes, only the battle.* files are modified, and you can even download the specific monster files (com00*.dat) to manually patch the game.
I'm currently on disc 2 (before Balamb->Ellone search->Fujin+Rajin->Pandemona), and everything seems fine so far.

Does it need Aali's driver?
Nope, you can use it with the default driver if you wish.
I recommend using the Aali + SeeD mods though, the game feels more "fresh".

Download:
Unfortunately, you can't distribute copyrighted files in their entirety - you have to instead distribute patches. You can provide a set of patch files for each individual file, or use a patch program like NSIS that can compare entire directories and create a self-installer. Nice work, all the same.- Bosola

Please let me know of any issues or question you may have.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10 10:57:48 by sl1982 »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] FFVIII Hard Edition (Reloaded)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-26 20:57:10 »
It's not allowed to distribute the whole files and all, so the first download must be taken down.

On another hand, it's a very good idea.

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-27 08:36:48 »
It's not allowed to distribute the whole files and all, so the first download must be taken down.
Oh, sorry, I'll do that right away
EDIT: hm, what is the best method for this? a binary patch?

On another hand, it's a very good idea.
Thanks
This makes playing FF8 again not so boring (for being far too easy...). It's not for everyone though... specially the full-startover from the beginning.

If you don't know the Card Mod, Degenerator and Meltdown+Aura tricks, you can just leave this alone...  ;)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-28 00:25:10 »
PM me these, I'll save you the trouble of making it :)

*EDIT*

Don't expect first release until saturday. I'm gonna base myself on some files (I won't tell which so that people cannot know how to go around :P ) and be sure that it works for every language. I and falkTX are gonna see if it works for every language. Once done, and thanks to Colly's awesome work (documentation), I'll make it for PSX (not now though).
« Last Edit: 2011-07-28 11:58:00 by Vgr »

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-28 12:13:54 »
@Vgr: thanks! I've no idea how to properly do this
(my intention was using NSIS with the full files inside, but then someone could use 7zip and access them...)

Making it for different languages means the monster names will change to their defaults in English (unless your patch system is that really awesome??)

And how could we improve the monsters AI?
I've seen that some monsters are clever than others (hehe, "Go for the weak one!" rings a bell?), so maybe it's just a setting?

Anyway, many thanks for helping me here!

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-28 12:18:03 »
Hey, you're welcome. Actually, this patch will properlly work for both French and English, and someone has to post the names of enemies (and which dat files they are, of course) and it'll work. I'm not quite sure if I'll make it check for the fs file, but it's very unlikely, as I don't have the ones of all languages (just French, sadly). About the enemies' AI, we spoke a bit in PM, and anyway I've planned to do this for my own hard mod :)

random_npc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-28 15:32:38 »
Monster name? Carefull, remember that there is battle dialog stored in those files as well. Would be better not to toy with that.

Anyway, Vgr you can access monster name with Ifrit or a Hexeditor, and maybe this link can help you : http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/49683

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-28 19:35:04 »
Ha! Guess what? This was the very first FAQ I ever read on GameFAQs ;D It's JujuDredd who bringed me there ^^

poofacetherisen

• My coffin smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2011-08-01 08:45:44 »
Actually he can (if he's a citizen of the United States of America), if he re-writes his post and presents the modified file under Fair Use, 17 U.S.C. 107. And specifies under which sections he intends as the reasons for it being of fair use (non-profit, educational, etc), he legally then can. Need a reference, you can check a Black Laws dictionary or do some web searches, here's a link to get started. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2011-08-01 08:52:11 »
Actually he can (if he's a citizen of the United States of America), if he re-writes his post and presents the modified file under Fair Use, 17 U.S.C. 107. And specifies under which sections he intends as the reasons for it being of fair use (non-profit, educational, etc), he legally then can. Need a reference, you can check a Black Laws dictionary or do some web searches, here's a link to get started. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

That's like saying you get a song and edit it a little bit and release it as yours. People have done this, and people have had lawsuits against them. Vanilla Ice comes to mind.

Maybe not exactly but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-01 08:54:04 by DarkFang »

random_npc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-01 09:24:01 »
Interesting, Poofacetherisen. But what case would you claim for 1) :
for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research
? You wrote 'educational', but it looks a little far-fetched to me...

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2011-08-01 15:50:31 »
Someone has an idea on how to distribute a patch?

And no, he won't, even if he's an U.S.A. citizen, since this forums' rules simply don't allow this.

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2011-08-02 09:34:29 »
Someone has an idea on how to distribute a patch?

And no, he won't, even if he's an U.S.A. citizen, since this forums' rules simply don't allow this.

I though patches were safe...?

We're not distributing any entire/original files, just the tiny bits that were modified...  ::)
« Last Edit: 2011-08-02 10:36:32 by falkTX »

DarkFang

• Pirate
  • Ponies! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2011-08-02 10:29:06 »
Patches are good. He's talking about whole files.

poofacetherisen

• My coffin smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2011-08-02 16:26:31 »
Interesting, Poofacetherisen. But what case would you claim for 1) : ? You wrote 'educational', but it looks a little far-fetched to me...
I was providing an example, in case you were not aware.
And you, can legally contend "this forums' rules" in court or with a letter if you wished, about Fair Use regarding copy written uploaded content (if the topic starter chooses so of course). However you'd have to contact the board host or the registered owner of this domain, to arrange such.
Asking me for why (or the reasons) the topic starter should upload augmented copyright content under Fair Use is unnecessary because I'm not him.

I'd upload under Fair Use for criticism and comment. Like you would with an AMV on YouTube.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-02 16:27:37 »
Japan is not USA

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-02 21:25:28 »
I was providing an example, in case you were not aware.
And you, can legally contend "this forums' rules" in court or with a letter if you wished, about Fair Use regarding copy written uploaded content (if the topic starter chooses so of course). However you'd have to contact the board host or the registered owner of this domain, to arrange such.
Asking me for why (or the reasons) the topic starter should upload augmented copyright content under Fair Use is unnecessary because I'm not him.

I'd upload under Fair Use for criticism and comment. Like you would with an AMV on YouTube.

When everyone signed up for this forum they agreed to not upload material in which they do not own the copyright. We stretch the rules enough already. The staff will not allow full LGP's to be uploaded. End of story.

poofacetherisen

• My coffin smells...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-05 02:19:58 »
When everyone signed up for this forum they agreed to not upload material in which they do not own the copyright. We stretch the rules enough already. The staff will not allow full LGP's to be uploaded. End of story.
Yeah, I was going to say you waive your rights when you agree to the terms of service. Beat me to it.

sdahlbe

Re: FFVIII Hard Edition (Reloaded)
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-11 09:12:47 »
Currently there is no download link due to a rule violation - is there a "legal" patch download in the works?

falkTX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-11 09:33:13 »
Currently there is no download link due to a rule violation - is there a "legal" patch download in the works?

ah, sorry, I was waiting to get my mod implemented directly in another mod (another hard mod, but with different levels of difficulty)

I've made a patch already, but I plan to create a NSIS exe for ease the mod install.

If you're comfortable with the command-line, you can get this to work right now.
[English version only!]

Step 1 - Verify your battle.fs md5sum
should be 'e75cf0fc46074b7e7275be7e0753179d'

Step 2 - Backup your files
Just to be safe, save your Data/battle.fs somewhere as backup

Step 3 - Download the patch
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wc8umvftdhmmror/battle.fs.patch

Step 4 - Apply the patch
Use bspatch (download -> http://sites.inka.de/tesla/download/bsdiff4.3-win32.zip)
The command is:
bspatch.exe /path/to/battle.fs /path/to/battle.fs /path/to/my/patch

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-11 10:38:22 »
Colly is about tu release his patch with this mod included. Will work for any language.