Author Topic: New to FF7 Mods - What Do I Use?  (Read 5003 times)

Adept

New to FF7 Mods - What Do I Use?
« on: 2012-08-07 20:28:02 »
So I'm reinstalling FF7 for the first time in 4+ years, and would like to install any Mods that can increase the look of the game. I've gone through the forum and have picked out some obvious Mods, but am a little confused as to which have become obsolete by time/more comprehensive mods.

Currently I plan on installing:
-Unified Model Installer
-Menu Overhaul Project
*Omzy's FFVII Field Pack(Is this made obsolete by the UMI pack, or are these better quality?)
* http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=11961.0 (battle scene pack - this obsolete?)

Now other than these, I was wondering if there was an Enhanced FMV Mod that anyone would recommend, and if so, why?
Also, what are there in way of HiRes sprite/texture mods, and Character model mods?

Lastly, any recommendations are greatly welcome, since I'm very unfamiliar with whats out there. Thanks!

Sorry for asking so much, there is just so much to handle. A lot has been done since the games release :p

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: New to FF7 Mods - What Do I Use?
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-07 20:30:35 »
Personally, I recommend these FMVs. From what I've seen, they offer the best balance of being cleaner than the originals without losing detail.

Can't speak for models or anything though, I've always used vanilla for those. :/

Adept

« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-08 06:31:39 »
Ok so I downloaded and installed the UMI.exe. It created  a folder FF7/Mod/DK and the modpath is that. Now When I download other mods one extracts to a folder called facepalmer, and a few various others. Can i just throw those into the DK file and will the be recognized, or do the folders and modded files have to be placed in DK in a way that reflects the game folders structure? I.e. the field .pngs in the facepalmer, do they have to placed in FF7/Mod/DK/Data/Field, or can it be in FF7/Mod/DK/Facepalmer?

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-08 12:25:52 »
Hi Adept

The files have to be placed in DK in a way that reflects the game folders, but without the "Data\".

FF7/Mods/DK/Battle    for background images in battle
FF7/Mods/DK/World   for background images on Worldmap

The folder "FF7/Mods/DK/Field" should consist of about 667 other sub-folders in which the then PNG images are splashing around (Omzy FFVII's Field Pack).

Greetings Kompass63

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-08 20:35:42 »
Hey, the easiest way to install mods is using the Bootleg Configurator. Here is a tutorial: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0