Author Topic: [FF8PC-2000/Steam] Roses and Wine (W06 Final)  (Read 242315 times)

DLPB

• No life
  • This rose will never die This rose will never die
    • View Profile
Re: [REL] Roses and Wine
« Reply #25 on: 2012-10-10 00:01:41 »
May as well wait, in fact the torrent can wait too.  W02 will be the one that needs a proper torrent.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-10-10 15:19:22 »
The code has become a mess.  Not a good sign.  Time to go through this from ground up.  Why couldn't the game do the fade out the same way it does for the first music of the game.  Stupid ff8.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-10-11 00:13:35 »
Pretty sure fade outs are broken in ff8 PC (as confirmed by kranmer) so ive had to add my own in instead.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2012-10-11 14:51:48 »
This needs moving to releases  ;D

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-10-11 17:02:07 »
OK seems FF8 PC has a number of porting mistakes where music is concerned.

1. Fade outs are not there.  So music just stops (I have fixed this by adding my own fade out if certain conditions are met.  This should fix the issue 99% of the time.)  FIXED.

2.  Music position is not saved.  This means that when you exit card games, the BGM starts from the beginning again.  (I am fixing this or trying to.)  FIXED.

3.  Certain musics that only play the intro ONCE in entire game are being played every time, partly because the position data is not being saved, but also because whatever the PSX did to make sure the music never played intro again, is not being done with PC. (probably checked game progress value, then set flag.  Which is what I will be emulating).  I can only think of 2 musics this applies to.  Galbadia Garden and Movin'.  Galbadia Garden plays the intro every time you return from cards, and every time you enter or leave the garden.  This is clearly not acceptable.  FIXED.

Special thanks to Kranmer once again for testing and general help.

« Last Edit: 2012-10-12 03:33:15 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• No life
  • ~Whatever...~ Finally married to my "Rinoa"!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #30 on: 2012-10-12 09:54:41 »
Thank you DLPB for supporting my favorite game! Are those fixes included in a 02 version or you have updated the one in the first post?

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-10-12 15:49:30 »
W02.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2012-10-13 19:28:01 »

2.  Music position is not saved.  This means that when you exit card games, the BGM starts from the beginning again.  (I am fixing this or trying to.)  FIXED.

3.  Certain musics that only play the intro ONCE in entire game are being played every time, partly because the position data is not being saved, but also because whatever the PSX did to make sure the music never played intro again, is not being done with PC. (probably checked game progress value, then set flag.  Which is what I will be emulating).  I can only think of 2 musics this applies to.  Galbadia Garden and Movin'.  Galbadia Garden plays the intro every time you return from cards, and every time you enter or leave the garden.  This is clearly not acceptable.  FIXED.

This is the case for The Landing too. If you pause while in a fight at the Dollet mission, the song will restart from the beginning.

Also, this is just nitpicking, but the FITHOS LUSEC WICOS VINOSEC song exists twice in the data. The first one for when the parade starts and the second one for when Quistis & co. come out of the sewers. Would you include both or keep the position? Because the second one begins at a different position. Keeping the position wouldn't really make a huge difference, as even the fastest possible, the time between when Squall and Irvine get to Rinoa and Quitis & co. get to the top is still big, so it wouldn't really make a huge difference.

I was wondering if you could make something like raw.ini where settings are... I was thinking as a format like this:

Code: [Select]
song1.ogg {
loop = True
keep_pos = True
}

First song, it loops (that could be useful for people like me who want to put MP3s that don't loop. Then it just repeats. Not sure if you need a config for that or it can auto-detect). If not, it could be

Code: [Select]
song1.ogg repeat = True
Where repeat means to keep position or not. I understand it's more work, but I'm sure it would be appreciated. That's useful for custom songs that loop or not.

Also, I am only guessing here, but it probably wouldn't work the way you want it. If you don't hardcode the data (I assume you put that in memory), upon saving and reloading, it would not keep the data. But you probably know that already.

~Vgr

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-10-13 20:08:20 »
The parade music is already done with the released W01 (so is the landing). You should check before sending bug reports or feature requests. ;) And the fade outs and positions are already fixed for W02.

The end result will be that this will play exact or near exact to how the PSX played. Nothing more, nothing less.  I will not take feature requests of any kind with this mod. 

The only reports I need are those where something is not working like it did with PSX game. The pause issue will also be fixed for W02 :)
« Last Edit: 2012-10-13 20:21:05 by DLPB »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • No life
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2012-10-13 23:25:04 »
Sorry, I've been saying that off the top of my head and didn't bother to check. My bad.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2012-10-14 00:10:33 »
I did not know about the pause issue, so that's something.  8-)

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2012-10-14 19:57:03 »
There is no pause issue from what I can see, apart from W01 does not pause the music. W01 did not make music start from beginning.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2012-10-15 02:39:54 »
Well I and kranmer have been going over the areas and there have been a lot of small niggles, most of them because of the poor porting of ff8 PC.  For example, in Balamb if you play cards in harbour area the BGM will cut out directly afterwards.  The script makes the volume drop to 0.  It is doing same in PSX except the volume change is ignored.

I have had to emulate that behaviour as well... how successful it will be for the entire game is an open question.  Theoretically it is possible that if a number of conditions are satisfied, my fix will break other areas.  If this happens it will be up to some sort of script change with Deling since this is fundamentally a script error to begin with.

Things seem to be working properly now..

1.  There are 2 parade musics, both are played.
2.  Tracks are looped.
3. Pauses are obeyed and music will pause.
4. Stops are obeyed
5. Tracks will fade out.  Movie music has longer fade.
6. Ragnarok music intro will play only once when you acquire it.
Is this true to PSX?

7. Galbadia music has 2 tracks and the intro version will only play once.
8. Movin' intro will only play once.
9. Music will resume like PSX after battles and card games.
10. Game over music will play.
11. Eyes On Me will play when not using CD.  If track plays
properly off CD, delete or rename the one I supply in RaW.
12. Volume changes are obeyed.
13. All languages are supported.

« Last Edit: 2012-10-15 02:41:37 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2012-10-15 15:18:22 »
Always a new thing to find. Volume transition.  When going from one to the next, volume should transition to it.  I will add this too.

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2012-10-18 15:15:58 »
Very strange. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sup_hrdbTKE&t=04h03m00s  See 4:03:00, when the crew go to see the outside of Garden in the PSX version, the music "movin'" continues to play.  In PC, "Blue Sky" is played for the FMV.  Given the actual fmv itself, Blue Sky is probably correct.  Not sure why the PSX version doesn't play it.

Where else does Blue Sky play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-izGNFFu2Y
« Last Edit: 2012-10-18 15:24:28 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2012-10-18 15:38:23 »
Ah I think I have figured it out...  2 FMV's.  If Rinoa is with you, you get Blue Sky... if she isn't, you get alternate FMV without her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYKS0AjwwnY  see 10:15

Yup.  You get different FMV and Blue Sky if she is with you.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-18 15:42:06 by DLPB »

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2012-10-19 04:34:21 »
The annoying part has been done... making the orchestra versions loop (when they were never designed to) to a decent standard.  It didn't go too badly actually.. Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec  has been edited very well (and coming from me on my own work is a good sign).

Some of them simply had to loop from beginning.  I will upload the parade section soon on youtube with the new dll and music.

LeonhartGR

• No life
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #42 on: 2012-10-19 08:42:00 »
Thank you DLPB! Looking forward for the final version! Excellent work as always ;)

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2012-10-19 08:45:37 »
Well so far as I can tell, almost everything is accounted for now.  I will do a few tests and wait until kranmer has also then release.

The dll can also be released separately so you will only need to install this once and not have to keep downloading.  W02 will be the final thing apart from bug fixes to the dll.

A small note, geforce patches are not supported.  Aalis driver allows any to be used but my dll requires non geforce Square patch versions only.  All languages.

LeonhartGR

• No life
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #44 on: 2012-10-19 09:02:54 »
A small note, geforce patches are not supported.  Aalis driver allows any to be used but my dll requires non geforce Square patch versions only.  All languages.

I have a GTX550Ti by EVGA. Do I need this GeForce patch? Or just the Aali's driver? I wish Aali get back into it sometime and improve the driver for ffviii...

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2012-10-19 10:00:31 »
Aali has fixed a number of things with his next driver.... when he releases it.

You only need aalis driver and non geforce version of ff8.exe

Hellbringer616

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2012-10-19 13:18:56 »
DLPB if i don't post on the release shoot me a PM and i'll post a torrent for you once w02 is released.

It's surprisingly popular, 3.5GB uploaded on a 183mb file

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2012-10-20 01:37:13 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTwXJ8o4u7w

I will release this soon, then it's back to full time ff7.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-20 02:22:23 by DLPB »

LeonhartGR

• No life
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #48 on: 2012-10-20 11:03:30 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTwXJ8o4u7w

Oh God I'm thrilled! This was epic! That's the exact video and sound quality I want to achieve for ff8 and now I'm sure I did something wrong because it wasn't any close to that... I'm patiently waiting for this ff8 tutorial installation though and I wish there was something similar to bootleg for ff8. Of course can't wait for a way to use magochocobo's textures too!!!

DLPB

• No life
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2012-10-20 17:40:38 »
It's still not perfect due to frame drops and for some reason movies skip with me.  Don't with Kranmer.