Author Topic: fighting Barret  (Read 8755 times)

genesis063

• Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
fighting Barret
« on: 2013-09-23 22:51:55 »
Okay guys I got a quick question for you.  So I am working on a mod to change the story for those that want to play Sephiroth.  One idea was that you would fight Barret and maybe some other members before they joined you.  Though Barret will not join you.  So I'm thinking it maybe possible the only thing is not sure how to go about doing it.  Do I just need to give him an AI and make a battle scene or is there more to it?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: fighting Barret
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-23 22:52:35 »
Easy mode: Reskin Dyne.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-09-23 23:27:53 »
So what would I do to reskin?  swap out their battle models?  Would they have the same set or do I just need to figure out which one matches his?

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-09-23 23:40:02 »
Well on the PSX all the battle models are contained in the ENEMY folders, the battle models for the main characters are in ENEMY6. However, when you swap a model of a main character and an enemy the game will crash which proves that there is a difference between models supposed to be fiends or friends. Thats also why he said "Reskin Dyne" not just swap the LZS files.

To reskin you need to go into Barrets battle model and map out his graphical data. For PSX lazy bastard has compiled a breakdown for us

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13501.0

The bone data section at 28c is the important stuff. But the bone description is also important if it is different between Dyne and Barret. You have to take the parts of Barrets model and strip them over Dyne's Skeleton. That means alot of hex editing, testing, understanding, succeeding.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-09-23 23:43:38 »
Sorry forgot to mention this was for PC derp.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2013-09-24 00:45:19 »
I definately took this option into account thats why I said this was the procedure for psx only when going further into detail. The principle is the same though, in fact it is alot easier to do on the pc because there are editors for the battle models that have a proper gui and display the parts on screen. Get the battle model files of barret and dyne and then place the polygons from barrets model onto dynes.

The cool thing about this swap is that it is also storywise a very simple deal. Some freak shooting around in the arena...youd just have to swap dynes field model for barrets and edit some dialogue its really quite possible.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2013-09-24 00:53:34 »
I definately took this option into account thats why I said this was the procedure for psx only when going further into detail. The principle is the same though, in fact it is alot easier to do on the pc because there are editors for the battle models that have a proper gui and display the parts on screen. Get the battle model files of barret and dyne and then place the polygons from barrets model onto dynes.

The cool thing about this swap is that it is also storywise a very simple deal. Some freak shooting around in the arena...youd just have to swap dynes field model for barrets and edit some dialogue its really quite possible.

Ah, but don't forget the ever important story point that Dyne's gun is on the opposite hand as Barrett. His model reflects that. If you do a 1:1 swap of polygon files it'll look strange with Dyne-Barrett shooting with his regular hand. So that can be fixed with changing hands, right? Nope again. Then you'll have a left hand where the right hand should be. You'll have to do a little remodeling, but this is still the shortest way.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2013-09-24 01:41:38 »
You can also safe the model directly over Dyne's. I had overwritten accidently the Scorpios model with the one of Tifa once and it worked surprising good. The only problem is that the battle script must be changed for the new animations.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2013-09-24 21:58:07 »
Sorry Kaldarasha you lost me on the first sentence safe the model?  Not sure what you mean by that.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2013-09-24 22:05:37 »
He meant save. By renaming Barret's files to match Dyne's.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
« Reply #10 on: 2013-09-24 22:17:39 »
You can also safe the model directly over Dyne's. I had overwritten accidently the Scorpios model with the one of Tifa once and it worked surprising good. The only problem is that the battle script must be changed for the new animations.

Wait what? I need you to clarify that. Scorpios model is an already playable character, so yes you could switch it with another playable character model fairly easily since they share the same type of **ab file. But if you save a playable character over an enemy then the **ab will be incorrect(Kimera doesn't write **ab files). Since the Playable characters AI info isn't in the scene.bin already you would have to scratch build one for the new battle ID. I guess if you could make a custom **ab file for an enemy player character using Yuffie's as a template to compare between Her playable and enemy **ab files it would be possible. There is a lot of info in the **ab file like animation order etc, and if the number of bones or animations doesn't match the **DA it will crash. Anyway that is the problem with using playable characters as enemies the **ab files are not the same as enemy **ab files. Just switching **ab files might work if the number of bones and animations match, but I haven't seen that done successfully.

I would be excited to see any enemy model that was actually using a playable characters skeleton and animations(other than Yuffie of course). With the animations actually playing in the proper order. Then I could actually use Aerith and Cid  for Yuna and Kimahri.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2013-09-24 22:25:21 »
I guess I would to ask how they did the Sephiroth fight encounter for the hardcore one.  They used the one that was in the party during the nibelhiem flashback except it was when the party went to the rebuilt one.

Edit: and derp should of figured that's what he meant.

meesbaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2013-09-24 22:44:16 »
NFIT i dont understand the hand problem. I wanna fit all parts of barret onto dyne's skeleton what does it matter which parts were there before? Dynes left hand becomes barrets weaponless one and the right one becomes barrets right hand with gun. Is it because the animations place the weapon always onto the left hand even if we swap dynes weapon data for a weapon of barret ? In that case wed have to fix animations rather than do remodelling isnt that so ?

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2013-09-25 18:32:31 »
It would be easier to just model a hand for Barret.

genesis063

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2013-09-25 23:54:23 »
Thanks guys for all your information and knowledge.  Sorry to report though that KH 1.5 Remix occupied alot of my time.  I finally finished Jiminy's journal and got Deep Dive finally.  Just started on Chain of memories.  I'll be back to work on this mod at some point soon.