Author Topic: FF7 - Reducing Movement Speed  (Read 3499 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
FF7 - Reducing Movement Speed
« on: 2015-10-02 02:50:46 »
Hey all,

I was wondering if it was possible to reduce the movement speed of the player-controlled group by about 50%; I tried using the flevel script command to set it's movement speed that way but I think this only affects scripted movement rather than player-controlled movement. I checked certain fields like gaia_32 where Cloud seems to move slower than normal but couldn't spot anything. Any ideas? Is it handled by the .exe or is there something in the flevel I've missed?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 - Reducing Movement Speed
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-02 03:08:26 »
He moves slower there because the FMV is 15fps which is halving the field speed (normally 30).  There was a fix for this (I think) in 2012 flevel when it happens in field fr_e

If so, I'd like to know.  Check out

Set the field model move speed: 2048 (and other values)

field models and animations > movement speed.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-02 15:13:04 »
There is an easy trick with the fields in the flevel. When you open Makou Reactor there is an option 'field scale' under miscellaneous in the Walkmesh window. If you raise the value then all sprits should move slower.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-10-02 16:04:56 »
He moves slower there because the FMV is 15fps which is halving the field speed (normally 30).  There was a fix for this (I think) in 2012 flevel when it happens in field fr_e

If so, I'd like to know.  Check out

Set the field model move speed: 2048 (and other values)

field models and animations > movement speed.

I don't know, an FMV plays when you reach the top of that screen but before that movement speed seems to be much slower but running at the regular 30fps (you can tell from the smoothness of the running animation). Setting field model move speed didn't seem to affect it either, I think that only affects scripted movement like during cutscenes. I'll check out fr_e though, I didn't know there was a bug there (NT uses the 1998 flevel so it likely won't have that fix).

There is an easy trick with the fields in the flevel. When you open Makou Reactor there is an option 'field scale' under miscellaneous in the Walkmesh window. If you raise the value then all sprits should move slower.

I'll give that a try. Thanks to both of you for the info.

Edit: That did the trick; I halved the value down to 256 and got the effect I was after. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-02 16:11:23 by Sega Chief »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-10-02 21:39:34 »
Explain how you did it.  8)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-10-03 08:57:28 »
In one of the later versions of Makou Reactor, 1.6.5, there's a new option there called Field Scale in the walkmesh. Like Kald said, if it's set to half the original value (it's usually 512 by default), then it takes twice as long for the player-controlled group to traverse that field. It doesn't seem to have any effect on groups that are being moved through a script, which is handy.

So what that means is, I can set the game to run at 60fps in a field screen using your Oytugh tool but get a normal rate of movement. I interpolated the field animations for 2x frames as well, and set timings in the reactor (wait, panning, etc.) to about 2x what they originally were and it seemed to work out in the test, give or take a few tweaks here and there to handle special cases (the last few seconds of Cloud & Jessie running out of the Reactor carries them too far into the FMV due to the fps dropping to 15, for instance). I was just curious about how it would look.
« Last Edit: 2015-10-03 09:06:01 by Sega Chief »