Author Topic: [FFVII STEAM] Possible to edit limit break values in hex (e.g. X-1, X-2 reqs.)?  (Read 3741 times)

CoolMitten

• View Profile
Hello everyone,
     I recently posted a thread asking if it were possible to disable exp. for out of party characters, and thanks to much of your help, it worked splendidly! Similarly, I was wondering if it is also possible, editing hex, to manually set the amount of times it takes to unlock an X-2 limit break (through usage) and to manually set the amount of times it takes to earn an X-1 limit break (through # of enemies killed).

For example, I would like to triple the amount of enemies Barret must kill to earn 3-1: Satellite Beam, and also triple the amount of times he must use Satellite Beam to earn Ungarmax/Angermax. I know that there was a tool that was able to do this called LiMiT, but it seems to have broken/outdated functionality with the '12 Steam copy.

I've been doing this manually by tracking uses & kills with a Google docs calculator and manually setting the info in Black Chocobo, but it would be so much more practical and easier to set these values in hex. I suspect this is possible, but I'm unsure where I should start looking (and how to look through & identify/translate hex).

I'd like to become more proficient at hex to modify FFVIII, and excitedly, possibly package all of my changes into a neat, easy to use mod/file (attributing creative, sensible names to Cait Sith mics; exp. & limit break parameter changes; sensible, class-based restrictions to bring out much more "flavor" in each character; custom scene.bin monster data file; etc.). I'm logging all of my gameplay experiences into a journal that I'd like to post on this site. Hex is my final frontier, or so it feels, to realizing my vision of an updated, challenging, diverse, fun, and reasonably pure version of FFVII that still retains much of what made vanilla VII great. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 2016-07-16 20:07:53 by CoolMitten »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
The Wall Market tool can edit kills/uses to learn limit breaks; it's under the Initial Data/Character Growth tab. You might need to install some dependency files/visual basic powerpacks to get the tool working if it fails to launch.

CoolMitten

• View Profile
No way! That's awesome. I've used WallMarket before, but I didn't know that it could do this! Thanks Sega Chief!

CoolMitten

• View Profile
Piggybacking on this topic, I was wondering if it's also possible to use WallMarket (or a similar program), to change the colors of the limit break boxes. In WallMarket, I see {BOX:RED}LimitBreak, so I could have to guess that it might be possible?

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Piggybacking on this topic, I was wondering if it's also possible to use WallMarket (or a similar program), to change the colors of the limit break boxes. In WallMarket, I see {BOX:RED}LimitBreak, so I could have to guess that it might be possible?
Heh. Unfortunately, I never experimented with other options. I think it only allows that color. Honestly, it's been a while so I might be wrong. :)