Author Topic: Speedhack  (Read 6606 times)

Fastrun14

• View Profile
Speedhack
« on: 2016-08-29 21:21:37 »
I enjoy TASING final fantasy vii psx and was wondering if a speedhack would be simple to do?

I only care about a speedhack of movement on the fields. Like 4x speed movement on the fields.

This will make it hard to move around as seen in the ps4 runs, but with tas, it will be perfected. Where frame advance and save states will be heavily used.

Maybe find a way to speedhack the dialog as well.

I have no experience in hacking ps1 games so I may not do it myself unless someone wants to teach me.

Shard

• View Profile
Re: Speedhack
« Reply #1 on: 2016-08-29 22:16:17 »
Doesn't hacking the game negate the point of TASing?
In any case, there is a value in memory that controls each characters movement speed. Unfortunately it's probably different for each field.

Fastrun14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-08-29 22:51:07 »
Doesn't hacking the game negate the point of TASing?

Game hacks do not negate against tool assisted speedruns. There's a superfast zelda run on youtube and those "superfast" runs are not easy to make. It makes movement very hard to optimize, as you pretty much have to stay in frame advance or slowdown to avoiding hitting walls. So a tas would look pretty crazy as opposed to the "original" version.

Shard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-08-30 08:34:09 »
Can you provide a link of this? I have never seen anyone hack a game to do a speedrun. If you could, I could beat Ff7 in under 5 seconds.

Fastrun14

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-08-30 11:31:47 »
https://youtu.be/TQiFDOdZul0

Under 5 seconds? That is way too fast. Zelda was done in 5:30 with speed hacks, and ff7 is a much longer game. Probably can be done in 30 minutes with speed hacks.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-30 15:06:24 »
https://youtu.be/TQiFDOdZul0

Under 5 seconds? That is way too fast. Zelda was done in 5:30 with speed hacks, and ff7 is a much longer game. Probably can be done in 30 minutes with speed hacks.

Then they weren't modding the game right.  I could edit FF7 so that as soon as the game loads it goes to credits.  Does this count?  Or final battle?  Either way, within seconds to a minute.   I find speed runs tedious and ridiculous - and they don't contribute one iota to something productive - with the exception of maybe highlighting game flaws that someone who is constructive can fix.

But hacking the game even defeats the purpose of a speed run, as said.

Fastrun14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-08-30 16:12:00 »
The zelda speed hack only edits links speed and that's it. Doing so made optimizing movement difficult, which some people find entertaining.

To say speedruns are a ridiculous is subjective. Not everyone has that same view because well everyone is different. Something we learned before grad school.

Going from opening to credits is just cheap and boring. All I'm asking is increase movement on the world and field maps.

Am I clear on that now?

Ansem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-08-30 17:24:30 »
IMO it won't be a proper speedrun if even one tiny hack is used. Anyone can cheat their way through a game. A good speedrun (read: RTA) is one that is done using only the player's skill and knowledge. The same applies to TAS, basically, but the point of TAS is to demonstrate what a "perfect" speedrun would look like. Again, a perfect speedrun does not include hacking the game in any way; that's cheating, and speedrun cheating is for the sissiest of sissies.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2016-08-30 20:45:37 »
That's why I said "I find" - unless you are saying that my view on it isn't allowed? :P

Going from opening to credits is just cheap and boring. All I'm asking is increase movement on the world and field maps.

So who decides what is or is not an acceptable speed run hack?  If you;re doing this for yourself, fine.  but I don't see any way you can make this consistent. When you don't make any edits, everything is on a level playing field.  But when you start to edit, you're deciding the goal post.  But, hey, it's your game :)

It's like playing darts and deciding that the bullseye and treble twenty are too small - so edit them bigger.

I can speed up characters in FF7 PC - but can't do anything about PSX.  It's a pretty simple fix though, if someone knows psx assembly.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-31 01:51:25 by DLPB »

Beuj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2016-09-04 09:55:53 »
Actually, you can run at every frame, except the one where the stepcounter is incremented (I've heard that works, but I never tested). By this way, you will have far less battles.
I was looking for the variable which stores the speed of the character, but haven't found it yet ; would you be interested in it ?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2016-09-04 13:05:07 »
There isn't a value that stores the speed - at least, not that I saw.  It is a hard code value of 4096 (if I recall) and then a sum that sets a value (one for Y and one for X direction).  On PC this includes a shift to the right.  The main character will always run at the same speed when under normal control, so there isn't a var.

Beuj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2016-09-04 17:34:51 »
Thank you DLPB, I had the same conclusion. I wanted to search a little bit more, but since you also confirm that, I won't.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2016-09-05 00:50:43 »
Follow what writes the coordinates X Y Z T.