Author Topic: How does FF7 map jumping work?  (Read 2910 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
How does FF7 map jumping work?
« on: 2016-10-14 15:46:33 »
I am trying to add a new field to flevel and jump to it in the game.  I've successfully added it (edited maplist too), but when I try to jump to it, the game crashes. Clearly there seems to be something going on in the exe too - but so far I can't find anything.  Actually, I had to disable one part that defaults to chocobo farm if the ID is 787 (the newly added script). Unless there is something more at work here.

Grimmy

• Join in my tarnished light.
    • View Profile
    • GrimmyGames
Re: How does FF7 map jumping work?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-23 20:57:25 »
I don't know how it works like on a programing level, but I know how to do it in a modding sense. To do it first I extracted the flevel. Then I took fields that I wanted to use the walk mesh/camera from and renamed them to any of the unused or removed fields. here is my list of those.

Dummy               0         
q_5(qe)            92         
blackbga         102       
blackbgf          107         
blackbgg         108       
Whitebg1        113     
whitebg2         114       
onna_1            215       
onna_3            217       
onna_6            221       
trap                 346       
convil_3           357       
junmon            403       
subin_4            410       
pass                 571       
hyou14             685       
xmvtes              743     
fallp                   769       
m_endo             770         
fship_26            776   

Plus all the fields 777-787 from the french disc could probably be added and give you even more open fields to play with, but I haven't used those yet.

After adding in all the renamed fields I recompile the lgp and go into makou reactor to set the map jumps and do things like change the walkmesh(which is a proper nightmare) and camera etc. Then If I need to reset the background art to be something else I do that using palmer and putting the new background in modpath. Check out these few videos to see some of the added backgrounds I have experimented with.

Restored HoneyBee Inn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7HId0bKeTw

5th Gelnika Room
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdgmBlUgvM

Forgotten Cave
https://youtu.be/CrWV0X7e9HE?t=201

And so on. The real trouble I have found is the size and scale of the new background image can be difficult to adjust to look proper with the camera. However if you are trying to keep all the unused/removed fields left alone and add in a totally new field with say field ID 788 I have no advice. Sounds like something that would have to be added into Makou Reactor.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: How does FF7 map jumping work?
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-23 21:06:05 »
It's more than Makou Reactor.  You also need to edit maplist - and then there is an exe problem.  But your solution will work if I just make room by deleting an unneeded field file.  Still... it would be nice to be able to add fields over the current last ID value.