Author Topic: Custom Encounters  (Read 1072 times)

Immortal Damyn

• Insane poster
  • Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
Custom Encounters
« on: 2016-11-12 01:31:50 »
So, after ten thousand years I'm free.

Okay but seriously,  I have been back to fiddling with FF7's game files, but I can't seem to understand most of it.  I consider myself somewhat computer literate, but I don't understand how hex editing works, and I have many things in these editors that I just don't understand.  But what I've been trying to do is make a modified Diamond Weapon battle that I can place somewhere else in the game for some fun.  Thing is, I don't know how to do a "new" encounter, as I want to give him new attacks, and make him stronger.  This would be a completely separate battle from the one in the storyline before you jump into Midgar, and really I'm only using Diamond Weapon because he has one of the coolest models IMO.  Also I don't know how to use Makou Reactor very well, so I have NO idea what I'm doing as far as trying to input the custom battle into the game other than making it a "random encounter" somewhere, which I don't really want to do since I'd want it to be a one time battle.  I TRIED to make it a random encounter, but got an encounter error, and can't figure out how to ACTUALLY put it in.

My question is, is there anywhere a tutorial on how to do stuff like this.  I'm not looking to put in separate models or anything like the "Omega Weapon" in New Threat.  I just want to use Diamond and turn him into something of a Ruby/Emerald style boss.   I'm just looking for some guidance on how to create a custom fight using different enemy AI and how to make it something akin to say the Lost Number boss, where you do a thing, and then a boss fight happens.  I've looked here and there, and my only real option seems to be dig through years of forum posts to try to find what I'm looking for, and possibly not even find it.  Any help is appreciated.

Immortal Damyn

• Insane poster
  • Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Encounters
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-12 01:34:09 »
I have a somewhat rudimentary understanding of the editors, as I have used things like Wallmarket to modify attacks and materia, and names, and stats.  I used ProudClod to modify the standard Diamond Weapon fight in the past.  I know kinda what I'm doing, so I am decently okay with navigating around the apps like those.  I just don't know how to start from essentially scratch.

gjoerulv

• No life
  • me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-12 10:02:10 »
If you just want to put it in a random encounter it's easy enough. Find a formation you are willing to "sacrifice". Best would be a formation (by formation I mean a "scene" in scene.bin)

But it looks like you want to make a new boss on the world map?

Immortal Damyn

• Insane poster
  • Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-12 11:35:54 »
What I'm looking to do is make a new boss monster and place it somewhere, like say a materia cave or something as a "trial" to get the materia.  I want to know how to make something like that from scratch if possible, since it would mostly be an actual new encounter.  Like I said, I kinda want to try to make a better fight with Diamond, more on par with something like emerald or ruby, because I love diamond weapons model and fight, and feel like it could be expanded slightly to make it seem more like a WEAPON, less like a throwaway boss.

NFITC1

• No life
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-12 15:58:35 »
A new encounter is pretty hard. That requires modifying the flevel with Makou Reactor. It's possible enough and can be copied from almost any other field that has a boss encounter on it. The only thing is taking an existing formation and using that. Any of the test formations (as long as it's not formation 0) could be sacrificed for this purpose.

gjoerulv

• No life
  • me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-13 05:37:13 »
Basically all you need to know is here:
http://wiki.qhimm.com/view/FF7

You'd want to use this opcode in the field script:
http://wiki.qhimm.com/view/FF7/Field/Script/Opcodes/70_BATTLE

I suggest using a formation that is not used by the game as NFITC1 mentioned.

Use tools! Hex editing is good and all, but time required is easily multiplied ten folds (hex editing could be good if you want to learn stuff).

Use Proud Clod for scene editing and Makou Reactor for field script.
1 tip when placing a boss: find a place in the script that can't be skipped and place the encounter trigger right after/before.

Immortal Damyn

• Insane poster
  • Lord of the Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-16 14:30:05 »
Thank you very much for this information, both of you.

genesis063

• Freak
  • Self proclaimed number 1 Sephiroth fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-16 19:32:47 »
I'll save you time with the wiki.  So for making the start battle number you multiple the scene bin you used by 4 then you add to it if it is in the other three formation slots.  So first one is 0 then second is 1 then so on and so on.  Be careful when editing as it is easy to glitch it out.  Do not use sync enemy as I think it can hurt it if not careful.  Then if you want the materia to drop you can have it drop from the boss through stats or just have it place on the map if you want dialogue to it.