Author Topic: Field Resurrection [0.1]  (Read 859 times)

yarLson

  • Freak
  • *
  • Posts: 705
  • Karma: 30
  • King of the Spoilers
    • View Profile
Field Resurrection [0.1]
« on: 2016-12-19 21:21:38 »
I apologize for the long silence.  I have had a pretty intense year with not much free time, but I was finally able to put together a little script which processes the images in a new way to avoid some of the "black pixel" bugs of previous versions and also uses the new photo method I was talking about before.  I still have some things I would like to do with this like refactor it in Haskell to add parallel processing of scenes and add support for FFVIII.

Unfortunately it looks like I won't have much time to do that for a while so I figured I should share what I have so far.  The script is written in bash and expects the palmer exported files to reside in "~/FFVII_fields".  I have not tested this on a Windows environment at all but it may work.

This script depends on the ImageMagick suite, as well as Potrace for layer tracing and waifu2x-cpp-converter and will fail if they are not found in you PATH.

Check it out here.
https://github.com/timde9/ffvii_frp

jmp434

  • Crazy poster
  • *
  • Posts: 208
  • Karma: 52
  • https://www.paypal.me/jmp434
    • View Profile
    • Make a donation
Re: Field Resurrection [0.1]
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-19 21:50:59 »
I do not know if I understood everything, but would it mean that this script could completely remove the black pixels when cutting layers on Palmer? It would be a huge step forward for my 3D project and a huge time saving!

yarLson

  • Freak
  • *
  • Posts: 705
  • Karma: 30
  • King of the Spoilers
    • View Profile
Re: Field Resurrection [0.1]
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-20 00:38:21 »
It should definitely reduce them compared to previous attempts like Omzy's facepalmer script.  Obviously I haven't tested every single scene but by following some simple rules they should be brought to a minimum. 

I avoid completely any semi transparent pixels.

Second I avoid smoothing of 90 degree angles in layers.

Finally the script compares each layer with the one directly underneath it and if there are any pixels that reside in both they are removed from the top layer.

This should definitely take care of 99% of the black pixel bugs in other scripts.  Problem is there are scenes which have special conditions that I have not yet have the chance to code in, but even so this should work on the vast majority of scenes as it.

As it stands the scripts just takes in palmer batch exported scenes and spits them back out upscaled.  There are no command line options as of yet.  But I would definitely like to add in options for easy processing of single scenes and fine tuning of other parameters.  I also want to completely refactor this in Haskell to dramatically increase performance and use some existing libraries to eliminate dependence on third party binaries and make a completely stand alone and cross-platform tool.  There is also the matter of special case scenes which need to be addressed.

Of course that could be a ways off with my schedule being what it is and it is kinda a miracle I had some time this month to get this far.  I hope it is helpful.
« Last Edit: 2016-12-20 00:39:54 by yarLson »

Mcindus

  • Freak
  • *
  • Posts: 588
  • Karma: 102
  • Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
Re: Field Resurrection [0.1]
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-20 03:12:46 »
Oh man... if only we could use this with FFVIII...

I will be patiently waiting :)

satsuki

  • Cool newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 81
  • Karma: 16
    • View Profile
Re: Field Resurrection [0.1]
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-20 08:09:27 »
It should definitely reduce them compared to previous attempts like Omzy's facepalmer script.  Obviously I haven't tested every single scene but by following some simple rules they should be brought to a minimum. 

I avoid completely any semi transparent pixels.

Second I avoid smoothing of 90 degree angles in layers.

Finally the script compares each layer with the one directly underneath it and if there are any pixels that reside in both they are removed from the top layer.

This should definitely take care of 99% of the black pixel bugs in other scripts.  Problem is there are scenes which have special conditions that I have not yet have the chance to code in, but even so this should work on the vast majority of scenes as it.

>that's the same logic i used in my vb soft to deal with the fields (imagemagik too) but there's lots of sp├ęcial case witch need to be done by hand (about 100 to 110) and in most case some layers cut need to be tweaked to adapt "under/over" in some pixel aeras.