Author Topic: Quick questions regarding textures and moving mods to a different PC.  (Read 2511 times)

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
Hello, people. I've got 2 quck questions:

1) Do I have to unpack Field Textures (from Omzy, etc.) using the Workshop --> Pack/Unpack .iro archives feature in order for them to work? I am not sure if the mod is working properly. If yes (and I've done it), do I need to change anything in the Settings, at the "Aali Modpath" section? Or maybe do I need to have them in the default directory as images, or just the folder extracted is fine as it is?

2) If I want to move FFVII and everything to a different PC, can I simply copy all the mod files, then download FFVII itself via Steam and then paste the mods in? Or do I have to redownload everything from scratch?

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
1) No, you don't need to unpack/pack any of the IROs. Those are tools for modders to use when wanting to import them to 7th Heaven. It packs their mod into a .iro file, which is the file format 7th Heaven uses. Users only need to download the mods from the Catalog and Activate which ones they want to use.

2) You can technically move your mods (.iro files only) to another PC, but the process might break the way 7H reads the files. If that happens, you will get long ID strings for the mod names when you import them into 7H. If that happens, the compatibility and update features will no longer work, meaning you won't see messages for mod compatibility warnings and messages for automatic updates.

Try this (don't open 7H until the final step):

a) Install FF7 on the other PC.
b) Use the 7H Game Converter on the new install.
c) Copy the mods (.iro files only needed) onto the other PC @ [gamedir]\mods\7th Heaven.
d) Copy the following folder from your current PC to the other PC: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\7thWorkshop --- The 7thWorkshop folder will not be there on the other PC because you haven't opened 7H yet to produce it. That's okay.
e) Open 7H on the other PC and see if it recognizes the mods correctly. Correctly meaning that there are no long ID strings as the mod names (e.g. 0d0cc481-4cc3-4e7e-9529-fa7077b38615_World_Models___Enemies_2.0).

PetrucciJohn

• View Profile
Thank you once more for the quick replies. I'll give it a try a few days later and will report back by editing this post. Actually, I'm surprised that people haven't asked this question before. It's pretty useful not having to download 20+gb worth of data every time you wanna make a new installation/move everything to another PC.