Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII and VIII backgrounds  (Read 144 times)

steamwolf

• Fast newbie
  • Nihoncha
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy VII and VIII backgrounds
« on: 2017-02-13 22:36:37 »
I've been (mostly) a lurker on and off here since 2012, and I have a question I am not sure where to ask so I hope this is the right place. If not, please let me know and I will do my best to avoid the mistake in the future.

I had heard years ago that Square/Eidos had lost the 3D pre-rendered backgrounds of FFVII (complete with all the mode-7 beauty), which caused them to have to recreate every background with sprites for the PC port. So my first question is...is this true? I am going to replay FFVII, and I really loved the style of backgrounds this game has. It's a game changer for me. I've played the PC version modded and it's great and all, but I don't want to sacrifice those backgrounds for more features and better character models. However, I want to be sure they're really missing. Sometimes it seems like they are, sometimes not so much. I want to make sure I didn't just hear wrong and I'm thinking things are looking different because of it (when they are not).

My second question is does VIII and IX suffer from the same problem (assuming it's true)? What I saw of FFIX on steam, it seemed like it was the same backgrounds. I can't really speak of VIII, as I have not played it on PC at all.

If someone more knowledgeable than I could shed some light on this for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.