Author Topic: Issue concerning Steam's installation folder  (Read 7091 times)

the M

• View Profile
Issue concerning Steam's installation folder
« on: 2017-02-21 13:35:28 »
Hello. I've just checked the thread list to find out if anyone has had my very same problem, but it doesn't seem to be the case. So, here it is.
I just bought Final Fantasy VII via Steam to try out EQAliza's mod (Tifa's Final Heaven). In order to have the mod working, though, she recommends NOT to install FFVII inside ProgramFiles (x86) folder, which is Steam's default folder.
I proceeded to try to add a new library folder - where I want to install this single game - in the settings menu, but when I try to do so steam just says "Selected drive already has a library folder. Steam will manage multiple games install in a single folder for you" and thus doesn't let me create a second library folder. This happens because after Steam's most recent update, one can't have more than one installation folder anymore.
What do I do? My PC only has one drive root.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Issue concerning Steam's installation folder
« Reply #1 on: 2017-02-21 16:40:11 »
Yeah, if you already have Steam and don't have any extra hard drives, this can be a challenge. You might try something like Visual Subst to mount an arbitrary folder as a virtual drive. Steam won't know the difference; it'll think it's an actual second HDD.

the M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-25 07:15:26 »
Why, thank you. I'll try this out then.

4zrael

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-03-06 01:16:01 »
I tried this out, and maybe I am just not using it right, but.. chose my steam folder to link to, in my case, a virtual S: drive - then told steam to install to a folder I named there, leading to the somewhat redundant path of "S:\Final Fantasy VII\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII", but the converter fails to recognize my install.. :/

EDIT: skip the VSubst, it's annoying that Steam currently forces it to be done in this manner, but you can simply create a new library folder:

"Head to Settings > Downloads > Steam Library Folders and click “Add Library Folder”. Navigate to your new Steam library folder and create a new folder within it called steamapps . Then, create a folder in steamapps called common . Head to your current Steam folder and find the folder for the game you want to move."

For me, I already had the virtual drive set up and installed as indicated above to S:\~, as per Steam's own instructions, I deleted everything in that location except Steam.exe, my game folder, (which was erroneously named and filed redundantly, so I cut and paste into--->) steam apps, and userdata. I made a new library folder directly at C:\ and pasted and organized the folders there, updated Steam, and all was well.

Here's Steam's own instructions:  https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

It's the second section labeled "How do I move my existing Steam Installation?". Worked for me, though was a pain in the ass, lol.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-06 16:24:44 by 4zrael »

the M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-03-07 10:27:09 »
It worked. Thanks a lot!

Hope I manage to get Tifa's Final Heaven working this time.