Author Topic: [FF9 PC/Steam] Improved NPC and battle background textures  (Read 37831 times)

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
Re: [FF9 PC/Steam] Improved NPC and battle background textures
« Reply #25 on: 2017-05-28 03:44:36 »
You actually lose detail when you apply such filters on them, it starts to look cartoony instead of pretty. The reason the backgrounds seem so pixelated in the PC version of the game is because you're running the game at a high resolution, the backgrounds stay the same quality but the models become super crisp. There's an easy fix, lower the resolution to 640x480.

Another 'cheap' and easy fix is to apply a greyscale uniform overlay noise layer at a minimum opacity level.   OR you can add a noise filter in photoshop/gimp and then fade the noise amt by 50%... AND you can also use less 'noise reduction' in Waifu.  The noise reduction actually decimates some colors in order to keep 'anime-style' blending in-tact.  This works well for characters and npcs, but not really for field images.

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2017-05-28 04:22:54 »
And instead of saying: "get to work" say: "hopefully someone can fix". None of us gets forced. Not me, you, Fraggoso, Tirlititi, Mcindus, anyone.
I've already done everything you mentioned except, the scaling down of the battle UI's.
Oh have you already done all this except the battle scaling, I sent this game as a gift to someone on steam and before that person plays it I want to fix the issues the port suffers from. I've looked around forums for several hours and the only thing I managed to install was the sound dll file which improved the sound a bit.

If it's not too much trouble could you maybe upload a folder of files that you can drag into the game folder which removes the card/chat icons and disables the cheats? (I wouldn't want my friend to accidentally enable some cheat that breaks the game) xD

I tried to install all those programs, I managed to install hades workshop but no cheat removal option or icon removal option in that program. I also tried to install memoria but for some reason it didn't work. If you could help out dclem it would be really kind of you. It's very impressive that you've managed to improve upon the game with these mods you've made. :)

Also have they still not patched missing sounds in battle? Is there a fix for that too?
« Last Edit: 2017-05-28 04:32:24 by Lein »

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2017-05-28 06:33:24 »
Mcindus what's the problem in FFVIII that character models are unable to blink once you apply custom character textures? It seems the same way in FFIX. In FFx i didn't had such problems.
I may be releasing an update today that lowers the texture for the field texture so it behave normally.
The ref needs to wait sadly (blinking eyes and things as garnet ribbon).
« Last Edit: 2017-05-28 13:59:01 by Fraggoso »

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2017-05-28 08:58:47 »
I'll need some more people to know if I should remove the card icon showing with NPCs. Anything I do goes with the sound mod. (It's a multi-mod -not including HD backgrounds), which fixes everything (I try too) that everyone points out as a bug.
So everything requested goes in queue with the sound mod. Same goes for disabled cheats.
The most recent version of Hades Workshop can disable cheats.

Patching missing sounds:
If by "they" you mean Silicon Studios. Don't hold your breath. They aren't doing anything.
Yes it's already fixed. There's a link to it in thread on steam forums: Hades Workshop thread, I believe. It was a while back, though.
Nevertheless, it is included with the sound mod.

If that one person is truly scaling down the UI's, it would have to be compatible with Hades Workshop, or it won't all work out.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2017-05-28 09:51:36 »
The problem is that shrinking the ui is code based and HW doesn't modify the files to that regard.
Hopefully albeoris keeps his word and make memoria compatible with HW any time soon.

The card and exclamation sprite doesn't bother me at all. :)

Edit:
Here's a temporary fix for the overworld stuff.
Again, I couldn't test that much but at least it worked for me for the parts I saw.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9iOUmoUbwc4ZVc1Y1N6QmtqQ0k

And here's the one package for everything texture related.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9iOUmoUbwc4N181dTRDckVRZlU

@Dclem The Polka is still going on in that one. ;P
« Last Edit: 2017-05-28 13:59:19 by Fraggoso »

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2017-05-28 15:57:21 »
I'll need some more people to know if I should remove the card icon showing with NPCs. Anything I do goes with the sound mod. (It's a multi-mod -not including HD backgrounds), which fixes everything (I try too) that everyone points out as a bug.
What exactly does your mod do?
All I need is a mod that improves the audio, the dll file can do that, and some way to get rid of the cheats and the icons above NPCS. If the latest hades workshop can get rid of the cheats in the menus/F1 F2 F3 I would love to know how that works because I found no such option when I opened up Hades workshop.

The battle UI would also be nice if it could be fixed but it's probably possible to play the game with the ugly UI:
•Sound fix
•Remove icons
•Remove cheats

How exactly do you get rid of the cheats and the icons?

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2017-05-28 16:04:17 »
Open HW, load the launcher.exe and select your language.
Then navigate to CIL Code and below Macro. "Disable Cheats" -> Apply Macro -> Save Steam Mod.

Navigate to your FFXI Folder, you should have a new subfolder in there called "HadesWorkshopMod". Copy all folder into your main FFIX install folder and you're good to go.

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2017-05-28 16:37:27 »
Thank you, sound and cheats fixed. Now it's only the battle UI and ugly chat icons that need to be fixed and the game is as good as the original.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2017-05-28 16:49:48 »
Analoge Movement needs to be fixed as well and some bugs needs some community love, too.

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2017-05-28 16:57:18 »
For the icons:
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14315.msg248727#msg248727

It's in the CIL Code panel. You need to search for the class "EIcon" in the left-most list, and then "PollCollisionIcon" in the 2nd list. Then remove the eight lines of code described in the above post.
It's a bit tricky to change the engine like this, but since Albeoris did a great job for that, I don't plan to make it more convenient.

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2017-05-28 17:22:13 »
ldc.i4.0
stloc.0
call 0x6000C49   // EventHUD::get_CurrentHUD
ldc.i4.3
bne.un IL_000F
ldloc.0
ret
call 0xA000141   // !0 PersistenSingleton`1<class EventEngine>::get_Instance()
stloc.1
ldc.i4.0
stloc.2
ldc.i4.0
stloc.3
ldloc.1
ldfld 0x4001B1A   // EventEngine::gMode
ldc.i4.1
bne.un IL_00B3
ldloc.1
ldarg.0
callvirt 0x6000BD5   // Obj::get_sid
ldc.i4.3
ldarg.0
ldfld 0x4001BFF   // Obj::ebData
callvirt 0x6000AFA   // EventEngine::GetIP
ldloc.1
ldfld 0x4001B05   // EventEngine::nil
beq IL_004E
ldc.i4.1
ldarg.0
callvirt 0x6000BD1   // Obj::get_level
clt
br.s IL_004F
ldc.i4.0
stloc.2
ldloc.1
ldarg.0
ldc.i4.8
ldarg.0
ldloc.1
beq IL_0079
ldc.i4.1
ldarg.0
clt
br.s IL_007A
ldc.i4.0
stloc.3
ldloc.2
brfalse IL_0094
ldloc.3
brfalse IL_0094
ldc.i4.2
call 0x6000B43   // EIcon::PollFIcon
ldc.i4.1
stloc.0
br IL_00AE
ldloc.2
brfalse IL_00AE
ldloc.1
ldarg.0
callvirt 0x6000AC2   // EventEngine::IsActuallyTalkable
brfalse IL_00AE
ldc.i4.1
ldc.i4.1
stloc.0
br IL_010B
ldloc.1
ldarg.0
ldc.i4.2
ldarg.0
ldloc.1
beq IL_00DC
ldc.i4.1
ldarg.0
clt
br.s IL_00DD
ldc.i4.0
stloc.2
ldloc.2
brfalse IL_010B
call 0x6000B8D   // EMinigame::CheckBeachMinigame
brfalse IL_0103
call 0x6000BC6   // EventCollision::IsWorldTrigger
brtrue IL_0103
ldc.i4.4
br IL_0109
ldc.i4.1
ldc.i4.1
stloc.0
ldloc.0
ret

That's the list, an these are the lines I need to remove.
ldc.i4.2 // Replace this 2 by a 1
call 0x600091F   // EIcon::PollFIcon
ldc.i4.1
stloc.0

ldc.i4.1
call 0x600091F   // EIcon::PollFIcon
ldc.i4.1
stloc.0

I'm looking for this value and I can't seem to find it.
0x600091F

Maybe I'm missing something?

Tirlititi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2017-05-28 18:18:36 »
Hum... it's 0x6000B43 instead of 0x600091F.
Maybe I wrote that post before Silicon's last update.

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2017-05-28 18:58:28 »
I still see it under 0x600091F  on my end. :/

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2017-05-28 19:33:16 »
Silicon issued another update?
I wouldn't know I don't use steam, i don't want them breaking the game again.

Hmm, didn't know you could remove that sprite in the CIL code.
I actually don't mind the card sprite being there, it lets me know which NPC wants to play a card game or not.

Here's a temporary fix for the overworld stuff.
Again, I couldn't test that much but at least it worked for me for the parts I saw.
And here's the one package for everything texture related.
@Dclem The Polka is still going on in that one. ;P

That's okay, I'll wait for the full fix. :)

I've been browsing through all the models. Making sure the engine can be compatible with my higher poly models if a model importer comes.
Saw a few high poly models (enemy's and even main characters) good news for me!
Hopefully if it does come, it'll have some bone support so that new models imported matches with the bone structure of the original.

This is the last part (mostly) till the sound mod is finished.
« Last Edit: 2017-05-28 19:44:13 by dclem »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2017-05-28 21:35:50 »
Silicon issued another update?
I wouldn't know I don't use steam, i don't want them breaking the game again.
:o

Confused. Was FF9PC released on another online shop as well?

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #40 on: 2017-05-28 22:03:45 »
Mcindus what's the problem in FFVIII that character models are unable to blink once you apply custom character textures? It seems the same way in FFIX. In FFx i didn't had such problems.
I may be releasing an update today that lowers the texture for the field texture so it behave normally.
The ref needs to wait sadly (blinking eyes and things as garnet ribbon).

Animations don't work properly in FF8 mods because of hashcode collisions.  The .tim file layers are too similar in pixel content for Tonberry to distinguish between the two, so the animation frame gets 'lost' persay.  Because Tonberry works from the VRAM dump, this issue isn't easily remedied until Tonberry gets a better hashing algorithm, or variations are written in manually to look for altered pixels in locations where the 'eyes' are different.  If the game could refer to these images in advance, then there would be no problem - as it would look up the location for the proper eye from the texture atlas and then the animation would work.  Coming from the VRAM, the game only looks for entire code alterations and looks up a different image with the eyes already placed in the appropriate location.  For a more in depth definition of this, message me :)

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2017-05-29 00:38:18 »
I'm not using the steam version of the game, I bought the game for my buddy and I'm using a cracked version of the game to test mods that improve upon the game so in the official version of the game the code might be as you say. However I happen to have access to the official steam version so I'll try your fixes on that version of the game tomorrow. If it does work I'll make a thread with all these fixes in a single folder so people can easily get rid of these problems.

•Remove cheats
•Remove card/talk icons
•Improve sounds

That folder would have to be edited in the future to fix the UI for the battle system, then finally the port will be at the same level of quality as the original ps1 game.

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2017-05-29 00:51:27 »
:o

Confused. Was FF9PC released on another online shop as well?

I dunno, I just play offline.

I didn't know there was a cracked version of FF9 PC. Not that I'm interested.

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2017-05-29 08:59:42 »
Ok I got a problem, I tried removing the lines you said in the cracked version of the game, this one 0x6000B43. And now the game freezes the moment I get close to any NPC. Maybe it's because I'm using the "cracked" version of the game which is some older unpatched version of the game that it doesn't work. Or maybe I made some mistake either way I just need this for the steam version, maybe someone could help me out, open up hades workshop, disable cheats and remove the icons then share the file on here so I could send it to my buddy.  :|

If not it's ok but yeah it would be nice since I clearly don't know what I'm doing. :(
« Last Edit: 2017-05-29 10:30:34 by Lein »

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2017-05-29 10:21:54 »
Ok I got a problem, I tried removing the lines you said in the cracked version of the game, this one 0x6000B43. And now the game stops working the moment I launch it. Maybe it's because I'm using the "cracked" version of the game which is some older unpatched version of the game that it doesn't work. Or maybe I made some mistake either way I just need this for the steam version, maybe someone could help me out, open up hades workshop, disable cheats and remove the icons then share the file on here so I could send it to my buddy.  :|

If not it's ok but yeah it would be nice since I clearly don't know what I'm doing. :(

I don't think someone will be able to help you since you use a cracked version.
Use your steam version instead. Like I said, the files tirlititi mention are in the updated version.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2017-05-29 14:15:37 »
I don't think someone will be able to help you since you use a cracked version.
In fact, it is explicitly against the rules to help with, or to ask for help with, cracked copies of the game.

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2017-05-29 16:56:06 »
You misunderstood me, I need help with the steam version. Removing the icons and cheats, I don't care about the cracked version at all, the reason I'm doing this is for my buddy, not because I'm gonna play the game. You're already helping anyone who is interested in downloading any of your mods, this isn't anything complicated, just a small little edit to remove icons and cheats, the dll file for the sound I already got. Come on anyone, because when I try it, it freezes whenever I approach an NPC. I'm not a programmer. :(

dclem

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2017-05-29 17:14:57 »
Got the update! (If any)
Back up to par again!  ;D

Fraggoso

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2017-05-29 17:23:51 »
In the steam version it's as tirlititi says:
http://imgur.com/g08c94K

Lein

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2017-05-30 04:50:12 »
Ok I tried removing those lines in the steam version and the same thing as with the cracked version, when you approach an NPC the game freezes, the music keeps playing but it freezes and eventually crashes.  :|