Author Topic: Newbie issue: Game Converter doesn't open the Config window?  (Read 3972 times)

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
Hi, I haven't played FF7 since the '90s on my PSX, and I'm hoping to play a modded version. I thought I had installed it all correctly, FF7DISC, Game Converter, downloaded the 20GB+ of mods, all the rest of it, but it wouldn't run. Did some looking around, saw that the problem was that I hadn't set up the sound preferences in FF7Config. Tried to run it from the folder, then when that didn't work, poked around some more and saw I was supposed to do it only after the Game Converter launched it. So I ran Game Converter, told it to Overwrite, and... no Config window opened. Tried to Unpatch and patch it from scratch, and still no Config window. After patching, the converter opens a blank cmd window that nothing shows up on and nothing can be typed on, and an FF7Config.exe can be seen in my Task Manager. Nothing else. To exit the command window I only have to click the close button, but no Config window pops up, and the process won't go away until I close it from the Manager. The converter is being run as Admin - 'cos otherwise it won't get this far - but I have no way to get in to FF7Config to set my sound preferences.

It's probably something real obvious I'm missing that I'll feel like an idiot once you guys point it out, but any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1703.

EDIT2: I ran the converter again, and now it's saying something about a sharing violation. I'm... reasonably sure... it didn't say anything about that, first time...

EDIT3: A clean install of the game got rid of the sharing violation message, but still didn't get me a Config window. The second run of the converter had the new cmd window have a message about how the sound settings weren't done, that I could have immediately repeat by pressing a key like it said. Now if I close that window and go back to the main converter cmd window and his spacebar, it will ask about the laptop keyboard patch.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-11 12:36:29 by RecklessPrudence »

BLCKBLuR

• View Profile
You can run the config yourself. No need to run it from the converter. I am not sure why the converter is not running the config for you, it's most likely because you need to right click the converter, click properties, and check the box that says "run as administrator".

But besides that, if that doesn't fix it... You can run the Config from the folder where your FF7.exe is (the game installation folder). There is a file called FF7Config.exe. Run that.

Hope that helps!

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
But besides that, if that doesn't fix it... You can run the Config from the folder where your FF7.exe is (the game installation folder). There is a file called FF7Config.exe. Run that.

Actually, you don't want to do this. FF7Config sets up registry keys, and the one packed with the GC is different than the one in the game folder. You need to get the one from the GC running and working.

It's strange that you can see FF7Config in the Task Manager. The GC command window will give you a list of things to check while FF7Config is open, so if you see that then it's working. Perhaps it's somehow opened offscreen? Can you Alt + Tab to it?

Are you using FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe?

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
Sorry for the late reply, got real busy IRL. Yeah, using the 7H one, downloaded it from a link in the tutorial. Unfortunately, no, can't Alt-Tab to it, doesn't show on the taskbar, and can't switch to it in the task manager. Most of the time, the command window just sits there after I run the Game Convertor, after getting to the point it should open the Config, it then sits there until I shrug and close it. One time, I let it run overnight, and when I came back, the computer was frozen. The few times it's done anything but that were detailed in the last edit to my post. I'm kinda leery of trying again, because every time it doesn't work, I have to completely uninstall 7, including deleting all the mods, and then reinstall 7 - which is not a problem, I have a backup I restore - or at least I do now, after getting smart - and redownload all the mods, which is usually an overnight job with my internet.

But stuff it, I can download the mods after I get the config window to open, so I'll uninstall and reinstall as many times as it takes.

EDIT3: FF7Config.exe actually shows as a background process, not an 'app' (stupid Windows 10). Just ran it as an admin, and it just opened the blank command window. Would the fact that both FF7 and Seventh Heaven are on D: rather than C: change anything? I've got a small SSD as a C: and a large magnetic platter as a D:, so all my games are on the magnetic platter.

EDIT2: Running it a third time, after removing the patch, it then shows this screen:

EDIT: Holy carp, it worked! I decided I'd try it one last time, before going to bed, so I uninstalled it, deleted the leftovers, and started the backup restore. I thought I'd do it properly, so I downloaded the converter again, from the link in the tutorial, same as last time. Started up 7, played until I could save, exited, ran the converter, and it OPENED THE CONFIG WINDOW! It even runs after I activate some mods! ...now to wait until morning, when I'll be able to play it with the full loadout. Tried to grab another screenshot, even though you'll all have seen the opening mission so many times, more out of exuberance than anything else, but it only grabbed a black rectangle in the corner of my desktop. Oh well, pro'ly for the best.

Started it downloading some of the big'uns, and I am going to bed.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-24 13:41:44 by RecklessPrudence »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
Is it working now?

RecklessPrudence

• View Profile
Sorry, didn't see your reply. Yep, works perfectly, all the mods are working, everything looks great!