Author Topic: Check out Lazarus - No, not the dude who came back from the dead.  (Read 4508 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Although, perhaps it's named this way because Delphi came back from the dead.

Been a while since I used it, but it's had a major release.  Open source, cross platform IDE for Pascal language. If you can't stand C, like me, and can't abide what they did to Delphi after D7, then this is for you!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarus_(IDE)

« Last Edit: 2018-03-02 18:05:14 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Pascal? I thought that was dead. I hate Pascal with as much (if not more) passion than you hate C. >:(

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
no one can hate c as much as me haha. Those headers alone are a nightmare compared to Delphi's lovely declarations in the same unit. I doubt IDEs based on Pascal will ever die.  The language is too neat and usable to die off. I'm trying to get to grips with Aali's driver source, and, to be frank, it's a nightmare.  In Delphi, I can look at code and know exactly what it does and where.  In C - I am hunting multiple files and debugging is a wreck.  Is this C in general, or just C++?
« Last Edit: 2018-03-02 15:39:53 by DLPB »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
C in general is way more complicated with its #ifdef and #define keywords. It's completely asinine IMO. C++ is just much cleaner. Still no implicit headers, though so it's still a pain. I think C# fixes a lot of those issues.

MysticLord

• View Profile
C is much harder to use without things like gdb.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
C can be manageable with the right tools/proper documenting practices, but it is pretty barebones as far as adding comfort to the programmer, C++ gets a little better. Something like C# feels like alien technology in comparison. Visual Studio can cut down on a lot of debugging/documenting pain points.

If we are going to talk about languages that can cause ptsd, I may as well throw PHP into the mix

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
If we are going to talk about languages that can cause ptsd, I may as well throw PHP into the mix

ASP classic... Generally any language that are too dynamic is annoying imo. You accidentally made a variable that was supposed to be an integer into a string? And spend half an hour figuring out whats wrong?  Yeah, silly mistakes like that makes code that needs to be compiled superior. But I must admit I like javascript, probably because I'm so used to it.

Most important is that you can work efficiently.

quantumpencil

• View Profile
C is a lovely elegant language with a small set of tools that are unrivaled for close to the metal programming, I don't understand how someone could dislike C =p.

C++ is a bloated monstrosity with such a large language specification and every new programming paradigm that comes into existence quickly thrown on top -_-. I've worked on a few C++ codebases and they shared almost nothing in terms of design patterns, they were such distinct  language subjects they almost felt they were written in different languages.

If you want an IDE for C I suggest CLion.