Author Topic: FF7 crashes at cosmo canyon  (Read 7500 times)

Soukishuku

FF7 crashes at cosmo canyon
« on: 2003-10-15 02:54:53 »
This is getting on my nerves i can not get rid of this problem it crashes right after i talk to Bugenhagen in cosmo canyon. Anyone have any suggestions. I really like this game too much to give it up. Tried all the patches for XP already still the same thing happens.  I ran a "regedit" to edit some of the video directories.

Rubicant_II

« Reply #1 on: 2003-10-15 03:33:55 »
This problem is somewhat common for some unlucky people. I don't think anyone has found a solution yet. One idea is to send the savegame to someone that doesn't have the problem, get you past the part, and then send it back to you. If you want to send it to me via e-mail, send it to [email protected]. And if you possibly have a website, put it on there, and one of us can easily acquire it and help you out. Since I have a web server, I can easily get it back to you. I'm not the only person here available to do this, so I guess if anyone else wants to volunteer to take care of this then by all means do it.

But I'm here for you.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
That's never happened to me...
« Reply #2 on: 2003-10-15 11:14:26 »
Hi!

FF7 has never crashed on me at anytime during my visits to Cosmo Canyon. I wonder why some people experience this and some don't?  :-?

xeriouxi.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #3 on: 2003-10-15 15:33:58 »
I always thought that it might be sound related. That's why I always suggest to try it in Basic Acceleration mode. Doing that solved a few crashes on my machine. One time was during the biglight.avi. And the other was during that Dolphin jump sequence.

But those crashes were pretty, obvious that they were related to sound.

During the biglight.avi, I noticed that one of the weapons was screaming at the wrong time, turned out that the sound for the scream was happening about 15 seconds too late and would cause the crash when the scream sound finished. As for the Dophin sequence, I noticed that it would crash every time the dolphin jumped back into the water.....the splash noise was causing the crash.

It also solved a problem that I was having with one of Cid's final attacks.

It has to do something with not playing the next AVI. The program is waiting for something. It's has to be some type of timing issue. Maybe a codec from another video program is confusing FF7PC? It's like finding a needle in a haystack.

« Reply #4 on: 2003-10-16 02:28:12 »
For me it was a DirectX issue. Specifically DirectSound. It happened after I upgraded from DirectX 5 (what FF7 comes with) to 7. Along with getting stuck at Cosmo Canyon, certain sounds in the game developed a 2-second delay. Plus, they became reverb happy. I manually downgraded to 5 again (rebooted in MS-DOS and copied+overwrote all of the files in the DirectX 7 folder with the ones from the FF7 install cd.) and it went away.
According to Eidos' tech support, the problem is that for some (unknown) reason the game doesn't load the next video in the scene. So you're probably looking for the right needle, Threesixty.
As a rather useless aside, the interesting thing was that, when I was having these problems, it turned out that there was a way I could get around it. Part of it was that the first time I played through the game I didn't find Gongaga and just went right by it without knowing it was there. Then, I also went by Cosmo Canyon without noticing it. =P The thing is,
Spoiler: show
the Buggy didn't break down like it was supposed to. I got to the river before realizing, "...wait a minute. Was that a bulding back there?" It was very odd to meet a guy inside who said he'd fix my buggy when it wasn't even broken... I guess that just goes to show, though. I'm not exactly Mr. Observant, missing two whole locations like that.

Soukishuku

Thanks You
« Reply #5 on: 2003-10-16 02:36:33 »
Thanks for doing this it was really boring playing other games that i played before.

Rubicant_II

« Reply #6 on: 2003-10-18 10:22:16 »
Sorry for the long delay of getting the savegame done. I checked my e-mail today and I saw the savegame in there and I was worried I had taken too long to get it done with. But I finally got it done, and you can get the saved progress here.

Soukishuku

« Reply #7 on: 2003-10-18 20:03:06 »
ahh its no problem i been waiting for a month to see if any site had any way to fix his problem a little longer really wouldn't matter

DManeKid

« Reply #8 on: 2003-11-15 04:46:30 »
When you hand Sephiroth the Black Materia the game crashes, Or after
speaking with Bugenhagen you cannot exit the scene.

These issues are created by a delay in the movie playback, causing
the game to crash. Run the FFVII Configuration
(Start>Programs>FFVII>FFVIIConfig) and set the video mode to
"Software Renderer". Also set the resolution to 320x240. Then
play through the section of the game. When you have passed the
trouble spot, save at the first available save point. You can
continue playing or exit and restore the previous configuration.

its in the readme :)

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Maybe it's just DirectX 7...
« Reply #9 on: 2003-11-21 11:22:56 »
Hi!

Well, it might just be DirectX 7. But... DAMN!

It can't be DirectX 7, because someone had Windows XP, with DirectX 8 pre-installed all the time. How exactly does the game crash, exactly? Also, are the people whose game is crashing using the original FF7 or the platinum FF7?  :-?

xeriouxi.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #10 on: 2003-11-21 16:43:17 »
The crash has been around since the orginal.....and also happened on all OS's from 95-XP.

The probable cause is it's waiting for an AVI to play, but for some reason the AVI does not want to activate. I don't think anyone has figured out a solution that works on every machine, yet. Some people reinstalled everything.....(format C) and sometimes it would work after doing that.

And DManeKid, that usually didn't work. That was the standard workaround for FF7 crashes....but it didn't always work, with every problem. After awhile Eidos was even doing the: send your savegame in and we will play through for you solution. Although, sometimes it would take weeks before you got it back. Usually someone else on the forum...Like here.... would do it, before Eidos.

festivefox

« Reply #11 on: 2004-01-29 12:46:01 »
Same problem here.When i go back to the destkop i can see a "ghost" codec icon.It seems to be ,as u said,a AVI activation problem....

Can someone help me?
I can do French homeworks,mathematic or physic for exchange  :D

Excuse my english,i'm french.

Is it possible to play ff7 on an emulator (for psx),convert  the save file after canion cosmos??