Author Topic: 1.02 patch doesn't fix a thing?!?  (Read 8647 times)

NeoS

• View Profile
1.02 patch doesn't fix a thing?!?
« on: 2004-08-13 00:23:50 »
Ok, first of all, I after installing FF7 the game played fine, except for some background textures. But after getting into the first chocobo race (just guess  :z ) it crashed. So, i installed the chocobo patch AND the 1.02 patch. The chocobo races work fine now, but the graphics aren't better yet and the game crashes as soon as the snowboard sequence starts.  -_-
But what DOES the 1.02 patch fix? I can't see any difference.

p.s. My sys specs: Athlon2600+, GF FX 5700TD, Asus a7n8xDeluxe, 768 DDR ram, WinXP.

If anyone could help me, i'd really appreciate it!

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-13 01:17:25 »
the 1.02 patch lets you have better compatability with xp and newer graphics cards.  If you DL rivatuner, and follow the instructions in the FAQ at the top of this forum, you can get some anti alising working, as well.

CloudSquall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-13 02:18:08 »
Till of now no different between 1.00 and 1.02. But in the 1.02 there is the FF7Config.exe with it and that is good as u can select Direct 3D.

Quote from: EmperorSteele
the 1.02 patch lets you have better compatability with xp and newer graphics cards.  If you DL rivatuner, and follow the instructions in the FAQ at the top of this forum, you can get some anti alising working, as well.

I have fsaa with 1.00  :-?

Quote from: NeoS
the game crashes as soon as the snowboard sequence starts.  -_-

did u try Selecting Software renderer?

Oh btw 1.02 doesnt fix anything but on the contrary it has more bugs then 1.00, example: with 1.02 u cant see Squaresoft logo and staff roll

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-13 02:56:37 »
example: with 1.02 u cant see Squaresoft logo and staff roll

That stuff works fine in 1.02 for me...  (Only if you don't skip the Eidos logo by pressing any key...)

[Edit]
The chocobo races work fine now, but the graphics aren't better yet and the game crashes as soon as the snowboard sequence starts.  
But what DOES the 1.02 patch fix? I can't see any difference.

The only thing that the 1.02 patch does that's ever been helpful to me is allow you to run the game in Direct3D mode if your video drivers do not support 8-bit Palleted Textures (older nVidia drivers, all current ATI drivers AFAIK).

CloudSquall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-13 03:02:10 »
Quote from: Aaron
example: with 1.02 u cant see Squaresoft logo and staff roll

That stuff works fine in 1.02 for me...  (Only if you don't skip the Eidos logo by pressing any key...)

i dont press anything, it just doesnt show up

Dreakon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-13 03:45:36 »
Have you extracted the movies from the CD's?  If you have maybe you forgot to extract the square and staff movies...

Maybe it has something to do with doing a maximum install?

CloudSquall

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-13 11:20:23 »
everything works fine with 1.00, so no i didnt make any

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-13 12:19:11 »
HEY, it worked! I could have figured it out earlier but i was too lazy to think about it i guess  :oops:
I started the snowboard sequence in software mode, worked like a charm...
By the way, this is really great. A forum with FF fans who try to help each other and improve gameplay. You guys rock! Wish I could help you out, but my knowledge of programming stops @ VB6... maybe i'll try it someday.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-13 15:35:42 »
You don't need to program....I don't know a thing about programming. I'm just pretty good at troubleshooting.

Really all you have to do is repeat stuff, after you learned it yourself.... The problems are almost always the same. And there are a few with no cure..... such as the shooting star crash or the date crash.

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-13 19:30:13 »
what about the reunion crash? like, when the weapons are supposed to come out? Or isn't there such a crash know? Cuz i got it!  :isee:

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-13 20:05:47 »
Not very many people get that one anymore....I thought it was gone, but yeah that is another.

But I had that crash once, and i got thru it by switching into Basic Sound Acceleration mode. Type dxdiag, go to the sound tab and move the slider bar. And start the game.... don't need to reboot to change that setting.

But my crash would happen during the movie....not the opening of it. It was Sound related. It would crash when one of the weapons screamed.....but the movie was way past that part.... It was a timing problem of sound and movie.

That movie is one of the few movies that has sound..... I believe that is the source of the crash.

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-14 06:32:58 »
Quote from: Threesixty
That movie is one of the few movies that has sound..... I believe that is the source of the crash.

The Shooting Star and Date movies both have sounds in 'em too. Did anyone else try twidd'ling around with the sound on those, whenever graphic adjustment couldn't fix it? Just a thought...

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-14 07:14:35 »
Just think about it... 5 years ago it would run perfectly on my pentium 1 166 mhz with a voodoo 2 card on windows 98. And now I just encounter crash after crash and the graphics are crap. (at least worse than a few years ago)
New things aren't always better... :(
Anyway, IF i'm going to finish the game again, I'll probably wanna get a look into the sourcecode of the game and try to screw around a bit. It won't do miraclework but maybe I can fix something...
Maybe if the ingame movies are copied to the HDD and the game searches for them on HDD the game wouldn't crash?

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-14 07:43:15 »
It won't do miraclework but maybe I can fix something...

You'd be the hero of so many people that come here lookin for a play-through for those problems, poor little ones. :lol: j/k

Maybe if the ingame movies are copied to the HDD and the game searches for them on HDD the game wouldn't crash?

Thats about the only solution that Eidos FF7 support page actually endorses for half the crashes in the game, heh.

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-14 08:00:49 »
Simple question: There are a lot of people here who know how to program in FF7, who can render custom made characters, etc. Why not combine all those good props and start a project to make an Ultimate gamepatch for FF7? I actually don't have a say in the matter, cuz i don't know crap. But hey, it's just a suggestion! and... Who doesn't love FF7? If Square won't come to the mountain, the fans will... 8)

Messiah99

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2004-08-14 09:33:58 »
Simply-put, and in no way disrespectful to those with working knowledge of the insides (halkun deserves special mention I believe), we dont know enough to do that yet.

Noone has managed to insert new data into the game, only replace data with existing data already in the game, as far as I know. Also, there are several very significant problems that have no known solutions, or several solutions to the same problem in different instances. Thats just two offhand, anyone who knows any significant amount about the programming of it all could probably provide more info on what is and isnt known, or just point you to halkun's WWW Button for the latest version of Gears.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2004-08-15 03:23:02 »
Yeah, going along with what Messiah said, the game, whenther pourposly or not, looks for very specific data when it wants to render, say, Cloud.  However, it's strange then that we can replace each aspect of cloud (or any other character) with other 3d parts. We could essentially make him look like Tifa (just with short hair), so perhaps the game only keeps specific track of what files are in its libraries.. but encoding such protection doesnt make a lick of sense, as the game first came out on the playstation as was un-moddable enough as is.

Does ff7 look for battle.lgp to be a certain size, then?  Again, i doubt it... creating protection would just be a waste of the programer's time.

Or maybe, just maybe, (with respect and appologies to alhexx) the programs we use to convert back to .p  don't work the way they're intended to.. at least, not in a way ff7 will recognize.. *shrugs*

NeoS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2004-08-15 21:05:29 »
Well, in that case, wouldn't it be wise to try other converter programs? Maybe you won't find what your specifically looking for, but there is a chance you will.
And is there someone out there who's busy tracking bugs and stuff? because i encountered a few, and i see there are lots of others out there too...