Author Topic: Linux is the way to go!  (Read 6912 times)

Anonymous

Linux is the way to go!
« on: 2001-03-23 02:58:00 »
I am new at this message board, and I read about Microsoft's program registration system.  Well, the subject that I am trying to make is that there is nothing much Microsoft can do to improve windows.  I have Windows ME, and believe me, that OS sucks big time.  I thought it would be better than Windows 98, but it has more bugs and is much slower.  I also have Linux on the same system, and it is way much more reliable than Windows.  There are more tools and programs offered free.   Would you be willing to pay Microsoft Word for about $60 (more or less, I don't really know the price) or get a complete StarOffice Suite for free.  Also, I have read about the Windows emulators like VMware, Bochs, and Plex86.  The rise of these emulators may make way to the growth of Linux users, and therefore force software companies to create programs for Linux (What it would be like to run FF8 on Linux?).  Free is the way to go!

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #1 on: 2001-03-23 03:25:00 »
You could have posted this in the topic we'd discussed all this on already  :)

Linux is still too hard to set up and use for the average non-PC-literate user to get it. Case in point: I consider myself a pretty competant PC user (plus I use Unix a lot at uni) but Linux still runs far, far worse than Win98 does on my computer. Partly because it refuses to use a swap file. 10/10 for ideas, 5/10 for usability.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #2 on: 2001-03-23 11:39:00 »
i am personally happy to see linux not be so freakin user friendly.. i hate windows for that.. but linux ... well hell man what version;.. cuz linux will run smooth on like pentium 75z although i think it matters the version.. or just run minux..

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #3 on: 2001-03-23 14:02:00 »
ive tried to setup linux THREE times to no avail

M0T

• View Profile
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #4 on: 2001-04-02 22:19:00 »
I have windows whistler or xp and it is so much better than all the rest of the windows its unbelivable, it loads in half the time and it hasnt crashed yet(usually it crashes a lot with a windows program.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #5 on: 2001-04-03 00:14:00 »
Linux *is* user friendly, it's just more picky on who it's friends are.

ficedula

• View Profile
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #6 on: 2001-04-03 00:37:00 »
LOL

*That's* for sure...

I'll say this much: Once (if) you get Linux up and running with no problems, it's more stable than Windows. The problem is, many people (even those with experience in PC's, including Unix) never get that far through no fault of their own...

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #7 on: 2001-04-03 02:21:00 »
lol, i know a GREAT deal about computers and the like, but partitioning for linux is DANGEROUS. i did it for red hat once, couldnt get red hat working (the password i set up in the install didnt work at the log on, i tried to reinstall 3 times), then after losing out i uninstalled it, but hey its not easy to DELETE a linux partition without linux! i had BIG problems getting thru to windows for awhile.
COREL linux : the setup kept on repeating it self NO JOKE! u boot from floppy, the cd drive starts and the install carries on, then it restarts, (if u remove the floppy, u just restart back to windows, no change!), if u leave the floppy in it restarts the install!
i tried a thing called ZIPlinux, only to find it was a command line version!!!
i look forward to anyone recommending a FREE DOWNLOADABLE USER FREINDLY VERSION OF LINUX, perferably one that doesnt require 1 or 2 partitions)

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #8 on: 2001-04-03 02:28:00 »
Ficedula: Set up a new swap partition (man mkswap), then edit fstab (man fstab) to use that swap partition.

The rest: Halkun is right. Linux is by programmers for programmers. Why would programmers make things user-friendly? Linux is user-friendly to us!

rant:

The greatest thing about Linux is the open source ideology, the fact that you can make a difference yourself. Installing it because Microsoft made it harder to pirate their software is in my opinion not the right reasons...Microsoft makes Windows to make money. Let them have money for Windows.

I still have problems with Microsoft: Every single piece of software they have written is inferior. Not talking about bugs and chrashes, I'm talking about technical solutions, programmers who doesn't know anything about the simplest rules of consistency and clean API design etc. etc. I have yet to see a decent piece of software from them. Office comes close but is broken because of propriotary file formats and no security: If you edit a document, it doesn't actually remove what you remove from file. If you insert a diagram, the entire spreadsheet with perhaps critical data is likely to follow, only to be discovered with a hex editor.

Then there's the ILOVEYOU virus, another proof that Microsoft fails no matter what they try. COM is a cool technology but the way they manage to mess up cool principles makes me sick...

But, if you want MS software, pay for it. I don't like paying for software because I'm against software patents (and also the overusing of copyright that is happening these days, copyright wasn't created to protect companies, it was created to make sure more money found it's way to science and art...when the money just goes in the big mens pockets we might as well abolish it). But, if you pirate software just because you don't want to pay for it is wrong. Have some ideology behind what you do...

end of rant

[This message has been edited by dagsverre (edited April 02, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
Linux is the way to go!
« Reply #9 on: 2001-04-03 03:25:00 »
Dag: I have done that for a swap partition. You see my problem?

No doubt there's a way to fix it - just like there's a way to fix all the other problems I have ... personally, I can't be bothered to spend hours tracking down bugfixes.