Author Topic: A complex, but fun, idea.  (Read 2468 times)

Phyltre

• View Profile
A complex, but fun, idea.
« on: 2006-02-01 20:39:30 »
I was just thinking about ways to change around the FFVII experience and game dynamic, and I was wondering how hard it would be to rework the materia system.  So that instead of, say, two linked materia, you could have three, or binding elements and effect materia to armor/weapons would have more noticeable effects.  

Personally, I think that there's a lot more potential for growth in the materia system than the game capitalized on--imagine a double-elemental attack, or materia that gives higher defense as the user gets weaker, or better weapon-doubling (no shields), or just holding two shields (that wasn't possible in VII, was it?)    You could have materia effects that were dependant on what materia teammates were holding, or you could change the elemental holding of a summon.  You could set a shield to perform an enemy skill when the shield blocks an attack, or who-knows-what -else...even make a character incapable of attacking, and only counterattacking when attacked.

I know this is probably complicated stuff, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.  It's started things before...

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2006-02-02 01:04:13 »
It's an interesting idea..

However, implementing it would probably involve an entire re-write of the FF7.exe (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

IMO, the FF7 materia system was/is one of the coolest and interesting support and magic systems ever devised for ANY game. The sheer number of really awesome combinations, just boogles the mind. And all it takes is the investment of a little time.

ESPerion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-02-02 03:14:41 »
interesting indeed. but one of the thing about ffvii materia system is that it taxes the use of materia... the stats mod is one thing (which doesn't really concern anyone) but there're others... Emerald weapon's attack is of notable mentioning. also if you want, for example, a w-elemental attacks, you will need 4 slots on ur weapon.

still as it is the system offers quite a lot and often u find a nasty combo coming up that u didn't think of. well, it's not like square is ever going back to the materia system... <sigh>

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-02-02 04:22:40 »
Ahh, the good old Materia system. It beats the stupid sphere grid any day. I think that the sphere grid is just a rip off of the materia system, but then again I could see anything like that. Es, never fear, they will rip it off in a new system like the shere grid again. The Final Fantasy VII game would not have to be completely rewritten, but it would take a lot of time. As for rewriting it, we would have to create our own combos and an effect. Hell, we could probably use a "New Materia" system in which a combo would create a temporary/big materia with all, one or no attributes of the old one. Why stop there though. If anyone programs it tell me, and if you can teach me, also tell me so I can help. I would love to be naming them strange names (7777 Materia, Kefka Materia, Vanish/Doom Matheria, ect). Yeah too much Snes...