Author Topic: Your favorite Firefox extensions?  (Read 7905 times)

Sad Jari

Your favorite Firefox extensions?
« on: 2006-05-29 14:49:31 »
Yes, I know that there has been at least one similar thread before, but it's been pruned quite a while ago.

Idea isn't really showing off every extension you have ever used, but the ones you find most useful. Maybe someone else will find an extension they truly like, because you said it was good. :)

Mine, in no particular order:

User Agent Switcher

More of a web developer tool, but can be very useful with badly designed sites. I use it very rarely, but when I do it's almost invaluable.

Adblock

Duh.

FxIF

This one is almost solely for photographers. It will display the EXIF-data of a picture (provided that it has such data, of course), when you view its properties. It is very handy, but mainly for select few people.

Linky

Gives you an option of opening for example all image links (or images) on this page to a new page. Or tab. Handy sometimes. Usually DownThemAll! is enough for my pr0n picture gathering needs, but Linky can be handy in some special cases where DownThemAll! won't work with the page.

IETab

Best thing ever. Gives you an option of opening pages in new tabs, using IE as rendering engine. Who needs IE now? Again, I don't need this often, but when I do... BTW, thanks to Aaron for finding this. :-)

DownThemAll!

Mass downloader. Most excellent for pr0n picture retrieval. I use this very often. And no, that does not mean that I surf for pr0n all the time. :P

Tab Mix Plus

I used to use Tabbrowser Extensions, but sadly it is so gifted in breaking the late Firefox versions, that I've switched to Tab Mix Plus. I don't remember anymore what the exact reason for using this was, but there's something missing in the regular tab system and this thing fixes it.

FasterFox

Gives you a nice UI for the speed tweaks. You can do them without FasterFox, but it's much nicer with it. Just be careful, the most aggressive settings are not very nice towards servers. :|

Linkification

Converts text (valid URLs, that is) into links you can click. This is very, very handy in forums that don't convert URLs automatically into links.

Leet Key

Again an extension that I don't use too often, but it's worth its weight in gold when you need it. It can do lot of things, but I use it for deciphering ROT13-encryption. Very handy. 17 (4n m4k3 y0u v3ry |337, 700.

Proxy Button

Just creates a toolbar button for quickly turning proxy on and off. It's worth to you depends very, very much on whether you need proxy for some sites and not for others.

SpellBound

It's a spell checker. It's also the one extension I would keep, if I had to choose. Darned thing will even spell check live, while you type.

FoxClocks

Small but handy extensions that enables you to have clock(s) on the toolbar. Point being that they are always close to where you are looking (especially if you don't use task bar) and that it can have several. I have one showing local time, one GMT and one EST.

PDF Download

Opening Adobe Reader documents in Firefox can be pain in the ass. And really slow. Slow, burning pain, that is. This thing fixes it by showing you a popup when you click PDF-link, with the option of downloading the darned thing (instead of opening it).

RefControl

Get all sneaky and fool sites that check referrer. I use it forums where people post lots of stuff from Imageshack. No more yellow frogs.

VideoDownloader

Download videos from several places. Like Google Video. Night of Fire...

Stylish

With Stylish you can apply user styles to websites. Fixing badly designed sites, or make this forum look like it did a long time ago. For example. Using it effectively does require CSS skillz, though.

EditCSS

Nice CSS Editor for the sidebar. Good companion for Stylish - you can use EditCSS for tweaking the style and then apply it permanently with Stylish.

Then couple of good extensions that I used to use:

phpBB User Hide

Basically a killfile for phpBB. Can make those pesky stoopid people disappear. :P Doesn't work with SMF. Sucks.

BBCodeExtra

It's a handy context-menu thingy for adding some of the most often used BBCode-tags. Very handy with phpBB (works better than the buttons in the posting screen), sadly not quite optimal for SMF.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite Firefox extensions?
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-29 16:18:17 »
Download Statusbar
Adds a small statusbar to the bottom of the browser window with little buttons for each download rather than opening up the Downloads window

GMail Manager
Keeps track of new messages for multiple GMail accounts, allows mailto: commands to be sent to GMail.

StumbleUpon
Allows you to "stumble" to random pages based on your interests at the click of a button. Much more fun than old fashioned surfing.

ChatZilla
An IRC client that runs in Firefox.

Bloglines Toolkit
Keeps track of new posts to RSS and ATOM feeds tracked through an account at Bloglines. A click of a button brings you to their web-based aggregator. The buttons change color when there are update feeds. Bloglines also works without the toolkit extension.

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-29 17:28:25 »
My favourite extensions...
Developer tools ....  :-D
What it does: Disable/Enable Java, Javascript, Meta Redirect, Minimum Font Size, Page Color, etc.. with one toggle of the button, built in EditCSS and EditHTML, allows you to switch stylesheet to do testing on different media types, display form, div info, instant links to html/css validation check, and so on (the list goes on). A must have for people toying around with HTML and CSS.

HTML Validator
Based on Tidy and very useful to check if you have broken your HTML code. Not as reliable/powerful as the w3 validator though, but very handy.

ice_cold513

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-29 20:30:05 »
Hay Sad Jari

thanks for the link too SpellBound

It's a spell checker. It's also the one extension I would keep, if I had to choose. Darned thing will even spell check live, while you type.

that good for me cos my spelling sucks
 :-D

Sad Jari

« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-29 22:47:25 »
Developer tools ....  :-D
What it does: Disable/Enable Java, Javascript, Meta Redirect, Minimum Font Size, Page Color, etc.. with one toggle of the button, built in EditCSS and EditHTML, allows you to switch stylesheet to do testing on different media types, display form, div info, instant links to html/css validation check, and so on (the list goes on). A must have for people toying around with HTML and CSS.
Oh, this is really cool, thank you. :-D

NobodyImportant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-30 00:14:01 »
I used to have a bunch of these, but many of them were removed because I had to format a couple times due to some bad hardware.
Here are the ones that haven't been menitoned yet:

Forecastfox: tells you the local weather. Simple, effective, useful. :)

Web Developer: I'm usually not a fan of toolbars, but this one is simply amazing. Converts forms, fills in forms with data, validates local/external CSS+HTML, inline CSS editing (much like Sad Jari's EditCSS, but does not save like Stylish), and much much more. A necessity for web developers.

FireFTP: A FTP client right inside of Firefox. While the interface is cluttered and the features are limited, it's handy if you just need to make a quick update.

ColorZilla: A nice little eyedropper to find the RBG and hex of a color, location of mouse cursor, and element + class/id names. Great for working with CSS.

MeasureIt: A ruler. :)

Screen grab!: A very useful extension which can take the screenshot of the current viewport, or the whole document. It does depend on Java, though.
« Last Edit: 2006-05-30 00:15:59 by NobodyImportant »

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-30 00:31:19 »
Is there a plugin that allows you to highlight (text of a site such as www.google.co,) and go to that site If there was, I would drop Maxthon and go get Firefocks (or so I call it).

Sad Jari

« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-30 01:29:33 »
I don't know if there are any that would do it by highlighting, but at least the Linkification I mentioned and Text Link make hyperlinks out of valid URLs. Linkification turns them into regular hyperlinks and Text Link will make them work like links when you click them twice.

It doesn't have to work by highlighting, does it?

FeuFeu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-30 11:00:04 »
Super Drag and Go might be the answer. Very cool extension, I use it all the time without even thinking about it anymore :wink:

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-30 12:58:09 »
Heh, loads of extentions, and I cant belive that this one isnt here

www.CustomizeGoogle.com  - Lets you anoymise the google unique idenifier and removes all those ads from google and gmail, does other things as well like adding different search engines to google and allows you to filter sites

Personally I dont like the way google keeps loads of information about you and tries to build up a database on how you use it, i know that it is used to improve the engine and what not, but on my random readings of the internet I found that even after you have logged out of gmail and you search in google, it uses the information its gathered from gmail to refine your search.... i dont like that.

Privicy is important.

Sad Jari

« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-30 16:19:58 »
Super Drag and Go might be the answer. Very cool extension, I use it all the time without even thinking about it anymore :wink:
Big hug! Thank you!

While I don't need the rest of the features, saving images by dragging them is great. :-)

spyrojyros_tail: I use it, but it's bit... dunno, most of the features are unnecessary for me. I guess the ad-removal is nice, but I haven't used Google in ages without it, so I have nothing I can compare it to.

As far as privacy goes; I don't use Gmail for that very reason, so I'm not overly worried about Google's immortal cookie. If they really want to store information about my searches, go ahead, it's going to be pretty hard to tie it into me. For people using Gmail it might be excellent choice, although I would simply recommend not using the darned thing in the first place, if you are worried about your privacy.

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-05-30 22:23:41 »
You mentioned it in your previous topic on extensions, Jari, however it seems to be missing now:

The Stumble-Upon toolbar

It's not useful in any way, just really funny, especially for those "I'm-bored-and-sitting-here-and-want-something-do-moments". Just hit the Stumble! button and be taken to a random site containing one of the subjects you chose when installing. Sometimes it comes up with hilarious things.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-05-30 22:48:22 »
I got that in my post, except mine was lazy and didn't have a link.

Sad Jari

« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-30 22:56:22 »
Emerald Weapon: Not that it matters, but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that I didn't mention it, since I don't use it. :P

It's the part about profiling me that gets me nervous. :-)

I'm pretty sure that the previous extension topic was Caddberry's, he might have mentioned it.

Just to be on the safe side, I'm not going to announce that I've never talked about it, because I don't remember everything. So, it's possible. :-)

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-30 23:14:43 »
Whoops! My bad! Sorry for the mix-up, there was no intention or hinting whatsoever involved.

Now that you mention it might have been Caddberry indeed. A mix-up, probably because you both started a similar topic. We can't know for sure since those posts were lost in the transfer. Hmm, well I think it's just my memory playing tricks on me.

Anyway, it is a funny extension nonetheless.

Sad Jari

« Reply #15 on: 2006-05-31 07:53:45 »
It's probably just been pruned, I think that it was in Unrelated. If I'm correct all posts survived the transfer. :) And Unrelated doesn't seem to prune anymore.

Heh, I pretty much figured that it was unintentional. No harm done.