Author Topic: large amount of questions about ff7 mods  (Read 17697 times)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
Re: large amount of questions about ff7 mods
« Reply #25 on: 2009-08-08 14:23:21 »
With mine, it crashed as soon as the Guard Scorpion got its first turn.  The length of my AI script increased by 2 when I changed it.

By the way, it should be possible to pull a clean scene.bin from the three play discs, as I don't believe the scene.bin is installed if you don't go for the maximum installation.  I should've thought to tell you that earlier.

i did go for maximum, i was just out of my mind not to make a backup first, so i copied a clean one from the installation disc

but seriousely, that mistranslation is almost as annoying as the problems im having witht he griever file editor for ff8

now, it would be hilarious to change it so that cloud sounds sarcastic or that he's saying it because he wants to get barret killed (god knows it might make the game easier without seeing #@$&@ all over the place)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2009-08-08 14:28:27 »
I've had a quick look at the Guard Scorpion script and it does have a lot of jumps (see those things with the "70" opcode?). By making the dialogue longer or shorter, you mess up those jumps so that they point to the wrong place (actually, it's like moving house and not telling anyone; your mail won't get to you any more), so whenever you do something like this, change the argument of the "jump" (70) opcodes that point to parts of the scripts whose address has been moved. You might be able to avoid this problem if you change the dialogue from "!, be careful!" to "It's gonna counterattack with its laser.”" but keep the three lines the same combined length in bytes.

Actually, this might not be what's going on at all, but in any case it's good practice when AI modding to take notice of all the jumps in the script.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-08 14:39:50 by Kudistos Megistos »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #27 on: 2009-08-09 00:23:04 »
With mine, it crashed as soon as the Guard Scorpion got its first turn.  The length of my AI script increased by 2 when I changed it.

By the way, it should be possible to pull a clean scene.bin from the three play discs, as I don't believe the scene.bin is installed if you don't go for the maximum installation.  I should've thought to tell you that earlier.

EDIT: You asked about controlling Vincent's transformations... that's a pretty advanced mod that someone would have to create.  It's not as simple as deleting Sephiroth's AI so that he's controllable in the Kalm flashback.  As soon as I get around to it, I might try and see if there's something I can do...

What I'm thinking is that maybe I can get Vincent to use his transformations' attacks for his Limit Breaks rather than actually transform.  It's a bit hopeful on my part... but would it be worth it if it were possible?

it would deifinately be worth it

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2009-08-09 01:16:55 »
Thanks KM, if keeping the script length the same will solve the problem, then it's all good.  Shouldn't be too difficult.

If I do manage to make the transformation attacks work without transforming, still, I'll almost definitely run into animation problems.  It'll be the same problem as in Scorpicus's Sephiroth patch - when Vincent performs a Limit Break, he'll screw himself up and all his limbs will flail about as if independent from his body.  Something like this.  You may just want to skip to 2:45 if you watch it.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #29 on: 2009-08-09 04:31:34 »
Thanks KM, if keeping the script length the same will solve the problem, then it's all good.  Shouldn't be too difficult.

If I do manage to make the transformation attacks work without transforming, still, I'll almost definitely run into animation problems.  It'll be the same problem as in Scorpicus's Sephiroth patch - when Vincent performs a Limit Break, he'll screw himself up and all his limbs will flail about as if independent from his body.  Something like this.  You may just want to skip to 2:45 if you watch it.

actually that was funny, right after finishing sephiroth did the splits :P

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2009-08-09 09:59:42 »
From what I've tested, it doesn't look like what I'm trying to do is possible.  Either that or it's really buggy.