Author Topic: TEX files  (Read 5185 times)

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
TEX files
« on: 2010-05-24 01:51:16 »
Hey everyone out there. I have been looking at the wiki on the tex format http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/TEX_format and i am unclear on something. Does the tex file if it has multiple palettes contain all the different palletes? Or does the ff7 executable contain the different palette tables hardcoded in it? I am trying to figure out a way that i can see all the different palettes as it will help immensely with the overhaul.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: TEX files
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-24 15:35:51 »
Hey everyone out there. I have been looking at the wiki on the tex format http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/TEX_format and i am unclear on something. Does the tex file if it has multiple palettes contain all the different palletes? Or does the ff7 executable contain the different palette tables hardcoded in it? I am trying to figure out a way that i can see all the different palettes as it will help immensely with the overhaul.

If it uses palettes then the image contains its own palette. The game will decide which palette to use at a given time. The font "texture" is a good example of this. It has palettes for all the text colors (red, cyan, white, grey, etc) and the game will choose which palette to use for a given word/letter based on the palette it is told to use.

The moral is the palettes are embedded in the textures, but the game decides which one to use when it is told to display a part of the texture.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-24 16:05:13 »
Excellent news  ;D

I would like to put out a request to any willing programmer that would be willing to help out with Team Avalanche. PM me or leave a message here. Basically what i need is a program that will open up a tex file and output the textures in all the different palettes that the file contains.

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-24 16:35:54 »
Excellent news  ;D

I would like to put out a request to any willing programmer that would be willing to help out with Team Avalanche. PM me or leave a message here. Basically what i need is a program that will open up a tex file and output the textures in all the different palettes that the file contains.

I'm about 80% of the way there. What format do you want the output in?

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-24 16:40:39 »
Doesnt matter, bmp, png, anything that can be opened with photoshop. Awesome news by the way. This will help immensely with redoing spell effects. We will be able to create faithful upgrades across all the color palettes  :-D

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-24 21:12:31 »
Just finished it and sent it to you.

Does that make me a member of Team Avalanche? :)

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-24 21:40:14 »
Absolutely  :-D

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-24 22:53:19 »
Just finished it and sent it to you.

Does that make me a member of Team Avalanche? :)

not so fast, a small donation is required. simply send me a PM and i will give you my email so you can paypal me the contents of your bank account.
also, keep this hush hush. sl1982 doesn't like to hear about the monetary aspect of TA.

Welcome to the team ;)

lee

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-24 23:35:40 »
Well maybe if i got some of the cash  ???

edit: Some of these palettes are very weird. They dont even look like they could be used in the game.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-24 23:58:49 by sl1982 »

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-25 02:58:37 »
Well maybe if i got some of the cash  ???

edit: Some of these palettes are very weird. They dont even look like they could be used in the game.

Quite a few of them are likely to be unused or used in an inobvious way. The one that you showed me looked like it had six or seven main palettes, but I think the other ones used to provide a shadow or lens flare effect behind the main used pieces.

sl1982

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-25 03:05:30 »
That is a good possibility. That is going to make redoing them insanely difficult

edit: NTFIC1 you have a PM