Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3007818 times)

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R05c)
« Reply #3475 on: 2017-03-07 16:56:03 »
Alright, how do I go about doing that? If you don't mind helping me a bit more. Not seeing anything related to it in the OP.

I'm not sure, but this might be the mod Kaldarasha is referring to: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14047.0

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: 2017-03-07 17:37:08 »

Some that leap to mind:
The two people who talk about "planetary biology" (or "planetary bioscience", I forget) leap to mind. It's a very clunky phrase that needs to be changed up, rather than repeated, in order not sound unnatural.

It's supposed to sound unnatural.  It's a pseudoscience . A stupid name given to a phony science. It's just as useless in the Japanese game.

Sephiroth in Cloud's Niblheim flashback also springs out ("What have I to be sorrowful about...?").
I seem to remember that Cloud and Tifa's trip through Cloud's mind in Mideel also has moments of being clunky, too, although unfortunately I can't remember any specifics.

I disagree.  Sorrowful is a decent word, and it makes sense for Sephiroth to use a distinguished language to your run of the mill NPC.  There is nothing clunky about the word "sorrowful".  "What have I to be sorrowful about" is perfect English.

You can list anything you find clunky or odd about the retranslation and I will consider it - but I won't respond here if I don't change it, because it's getting out of hand having to respond to numerous localization choices.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-07 19:55:15 by DLPB »

seeamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: 2017-03-07 19:11:38 »
I'm not sure, but this might be the mod Kaldarasha is referring to: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14047.0
That is the same Game Converter I mentioned having used in my first post.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: 2017-03-07 19:56:03 »
Not on this thread, please.  Open a new thread about the Game Converter.

seeamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: 2017-03-07 20:11:31 »
Sorry, it just seemed to me that since Game Converter seemingly installed without issue, but Reunion doesn't, that it was Reunion I had an issue with. I'll ask around elsewhere then.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: 2017-03-07 20:16:31 »
Reunion hasn't got a problem, because it's warning you your game is not correct.

seeamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: 2017-03-07 20:40:29 »
Well, yes obviously. I don't suppose you could atleast give me a pointer as to why it's warning me it's incorrect, so I know where to turn to? Since Game Converter installed just fine, I don't understand why my .exe would be incorrect.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: 2017-03-07 20:47:42 »
The file size is incorrect.   Reasons include:

1. Wrong version of game
2. Wrong patch
3. Failed convert.

I'd have to go with 3.

Just because it said it "converted fine" does not make it so. I don't know anything about the Enix converter.

seeamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: 2017-03-07 20:56:59 »
Okay, thanks man. What is the correct file size for ff7_en.exe? Just so I know if I manage to solve it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: 2017-03-07 21:00:18 »
6,421,856 for ff7_en

But after conversion, it should be called ff7.exe and be 5882880 (assuming the converter converts to 1998 version).  Perhaps your converter failed to rename it, if it's 5882880.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-07 21:04:09 by DLPB »

seeamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: 2017-03-07 22:15:52 »
Well my ff7.exe is the right size atleast, but my ff7_en.exe is 14 339 568. I did get the 7th Heaven mod manager version of BEACAUSE and Menu Overhaul to work though. Shame about not getting the frame unlimiter, but this is enough.

Thanks for the help, and for your work with this mod.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: 2017-03-07 22:16:26 »
You cant have both in the same place. If you have converted to 1998 version, ff7_en shouldnt be there at all.

seeamon

• View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: 2017-03-07 22:25:45 »
Aha I see, something funky going on with the conversion then. 7th Heaven works though, and it required conversion. That conversion also went without error, and it too left the ff7_en.exe. Maybe that's intended though for the converter they linked in the 7th Heaven tutorial, I dunno. Whatever the issue was/is, I got the new and improved translation and UI now so it doesn't matter.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: 2017-03-08 14:10:30 »
It's supposed to sound unnatural.  It's a pseudoscience . A stupid name given to a phony science. It's just as useless in the Japanese game.

The only time dialogue is *supposed* to sound unnatural is when it's coming from a character who *is* unnatural, like a robot, or an alien. Otherwise the aim is to try and make the fantastical elements of a script seem natural and normal.

I disagree.  Sorrowful is a decent word, and it makes sense for Sephiroth to use a distinguished language to your run of the mill NPC.  There is nothing clunky about the word "sorrowful".  "What have I to be sorrowful about" is perfect English.

It's one thing for Sephiroth to sound distinguished, but the dialogue goes:

CLOUD
What are you going to do about this grief?!
My family?! My friends?!
...Having my hometown taken from me?!
It's the same as your sorrow!

SEPHIROTH
Ha, ha, ha. My sorrow? What do I have to
be sorrowful about?

Ignoring Sephiroth, it's also Cloud that uses clunky terms. "What are you going to do about this grief?!" sounds completely unnatural, as does, "It's the same as your sorrow!".

Here's an alternative that gets the same message across while sounding more natural:

CLOUD
What have you done?! My family... my
friends... my hometown... destroyed!
What's the difference between my
pain and yours?

SEPHIROTH
Ha, ha, ha. My pain? I have no reason
to feel any sorrow.
I am the chosen one! It's my destiny to
rule this planet!

You can list anything you find clunky or odd about the retranslation and I will consider it - but I won't respond here if I don't change it, because it's getting out of hand having to respond to numerous localization choices.

Please don't take every attempt at helping as an attack.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-08 22:01:35 by ThunderPeel2001 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: 2017-03-08 18:22:43 »
Look, I'll be plain with you.  Nearly every thing you are listing as a problem is a deliberate and conscious decision on my part. A localization choice.  I can't be expected to respond to every single query or every line of text you personally find inappropriate, and I won't.  No localizer on the planet has to deal 1:1 with people regarding decisions he makes. You are free to list them, and I am free to decide whether to change them.  But I am absolutely not going to start debating localization.  This is not a democracy. If you list something that I find to be a fault, I will change it. Charlie Beer has already brought up at least 10 things that I will indeed change.

I will always read what you write and your suggestions, but unless I actually agree with you, I am not going to respond.  I am doing this because I am spending insane amounts of time on numerous things and do not have the time to keep having these to and fros over what I consider to largely be trivial gripes - or simply rearranging a sentence that makes no difference whatsoever and is personal choice. I have made one or two changes based on what you have brought up, but that's weighed against the dozen or more where I haven't.  So, when I agree with you and feel a change may be needed, I will let you know.  I am not going to be debating localization choices - as we will be here all day. And, as we have already seen, I am not going to agree with you on 95% of it. That seems to be the trend.

"The only time dialogue is *supposed* to sound unnatural is when it's coming from a character who *is* unnatural, "

That simply isn't true.  It's supposed to sound crap or unnatural whenever the writer wanted it sounding crap or unnatural.  As is the case with Planetary Bioscience (I will be bringing this up with Luksy, because it might even supposed to be along the same lines as all celestial bodies - like the Celestial Scream was).

I do not consider your suggestions or issues an attack - But I am finding a lot of them very frustrating for the reasons mentioned.  I will say it again:  I will read what you write and make a decision on it.  I will not ignore you or anyone else, even though I will only respond to what I consider to be a problem.

What's the difference between my
pain and yours?

I agree that this may work better.  I'll think about it and see if I can find anything better, because I am not satisfied this change sounds too good, either.

Dan

« Last Edit: 2017-03-08 18:45:53 by DLPB »

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: 2017-03-08 21:12:22 »
That's totally fine. A simple, "Thanks, I'll consider your suggestions" would probably suffice us both better if you don't actually wish to debate things. (At least there was no giant red font this time!) Here's a sincere tip: Try and be thankful that people care enough about what you're creating that they want to get involved. It's actually a huge compliment and that energy is a resource you can tap instead of fighting against. When I've run mods in the past, I've tried to be inclusive, open, and accept other's opinions instead of taking every new idea as a personal affront. It worked great, and produced some amazing results that I couldn't have done alone.

In all seriousness, what you've accomplished by yourself is amazing. I'm floored by it. No joke. You've added SO much to the experience of playing FFVII. I'm actually considering changing my simple little mod (the third highest rated FFVII mod on Steam) to tell people to just install Beacause instead. But it's not perfect, and I can help. And so can others. I'm not sure what drives you, but if it's the desire to create something that all fans agree is the ONLY way to play FFVII in English, then I think you should try and open yourself to what others think, and also the skills they have to offer you. I know you do sometimes, as evidenced by some of the changes, but other times you let yourself get frustrated. If you have to explain a decision, please remember that it's only because people care so much.

I'll keep posting my suggestions, like you say, and by all means ignore them. If you do consider some of them, that would be cool. If you wish to debate them, that's cool too. Don't let this stuff stress you out, and just focus on what's important in your life.

One question for you: When do you think you will consider Beacause "finished"? Is 6 the final pass, barring minor tweaks you may make in later releases? Just wondering what the future holds for that part of the mod.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-08 21:18:35 by ThunderPeel2001 »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: 2017-03-08 21:23:47 »
It's being finalized as charlie Beer runs through the game. I'm going through it one final time.  So anything he catches, or you catch, or anyone else does up to the end of his run through will make it.  After that, it's done.  Should be noted I am correcting box positions too at the same time - all in game order.

It is being finalized right now step by step.

Since you are doing what seems to be a full read through of the text, perhaps you might create a google drive database document and link me to it.  I could look over them far easier and mark them when I have read them.  Seems a bit better than you posting here and it seeming like I am ignoring it. Plus it will be tidier.

ThunderPeel2001

• View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: 2017-03-08 21:55:58 »
Sounds good. I'll do that.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: 2017-03-14 19:04:09 »
^ No idea as per the first post.  Maybe someone here will know.  I don't use 7H.

In other news: I am making good progress on the dll.  The sound module is now almost entirely rewritten.  Only downside so far is that Aali's driver is handling the FMVs.... which means the sound there too. I am going to have to see what can be done about that to bring it into line with my sound control.

I have also managed to properly reset the game to the credits screen module.  It took a lot of checking and setting break points and working out how the game changes module - but it's done. Last night I realized a few reset var functions weren't being called by my DLL, so the game progress wasn't being reset on New Game for example.  FF7 really needs to be rewritten :P

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: 2017-03-14 19:50:24 »
Well you have done the first steps to it. :P
Hasn't paul the idea to replace the game's modules step by step? I guess your dll is a good way to get started such a project oneday.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: 2017-03-14 19:51:32 »
I don't see a project like that ever being completed tbh.  If we had the time and manpower, maybe.  But it's a pipe dream imho.  Dlls like mine and Aali's are the only viable alternatives.

Matski

• View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: 2017-03-18 22:53:51 »
Not sure if this one has already been caught: If Tifa gets chosen by Don Corneo she'll say "But you know, Don, I'd like you explain something first..."

Is there mean't to be a 'to' between you and explain?

Also, when Cloud meets Aerith in the church, she asks "Say, I feel like talking. Are you up for it?"
Is this what was asked in the original script? It seems like a bizzare thing to ask, especially as she then goes to check her flowers. Is she meant to be asking Cloud if he is willing to wait around to continue their chat until after she has finished tending to the flowers?
« Last Edit: 2017-03-24 13:35:16 by Matski »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: 2017-03-19 05:48:35 »
I think it's in original script but I have to agree I found that odd when I played through.  So I will check with Luksy and Charlie beer, as Japanese is VERY context based. 

As for the former, yup - it's an error.  Fixed.  8)

{TIFA}
“All right.”{NEW}
“But,you know,Don,
  I’d like you to explain
  something first…”

Ver Greeneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: 2017-03-19 12:43:03 »
Interesting, that does seem a bit odd. I wonder if she meant "Could you hold on for a bit?" (while she checks the flowers), or if she's referring to the fact that he just fell a million miles and might still be feeling out of it. Or maybe she's just being shy and it's more like "I'd like to talk for a bit if that's okay with you..." (but she doesn't seem particularly shy elsewhere).

tomume

• View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: 2017-03-20 00:27:31 »
Hi,
I'm playing with steam 1.09 but I can't make your menu overhaul to work. It just doesn't show up. (using r05).

Do I have to install Aali drivers ?

PS: I installed aali after and ran the reg file but it didn't work.
PS2: the 60 fps patch makes my game slow when animation (like magic) run.
PS3: I did not use the game converter, do I have to ?

thanks and keep doing the good work !
congrats